Video: Nintendo Gets Literal in TV Commercial for Super Mario 3D World

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Cat outfit with over-sized paws + Wii Remote = many deaths

With Super Mario 3D World now less than a month away from release, it's surely time for Nintendo to crank up the hype machine. As a title aiming to incorporate a range of gamers, its unsurprising that Nintendo of America's recently released TV commercial focuses on the theme of playing the game together; four charming young gamers look very happy while doing so.

As has been common in various advertising campaigns in the region, Nintendo has taken a rather literal approach to highlight what the game is all about. We see a movable platform — used by blowing into the microphone — activated in the real world, while one girl has to play with a sideways Wii Remote while wearing a cat outfit that includes chunky looking paws: even a Mario ninja would find that tricky.

But still, this seems like a solid effort to show the fun that can be had in multiplayer. Check it out below and let us know what you think.

WiiUExposed

WiiUExposed said:

Nintendo: Connect with others online through Miiverse!!!!! But don't let them play Mario 3D World together

Williaint

Williaint said:

It may be rare, but I'd call it Mild, not Wild.
Well, I've seen worse commercials. I thought the PS4 commercial was an ad to join the US Army (That didn't make sense, as I was watching a Canadian TV station)

Coggit

Coggit said:

Nintendo: "We need people to realise that the Wii U is a brand new console, NOT an addon for the Wii! I KNOW! Let's create a commercial advertising out latest games with everyone sitting around playing with Wiimotes".

They should all be using pro-controllers...

skjia

skjia said:

I thought that was a good commercial. I can't wait to get this game and have it turn my living room into the Mushroom Kingdom!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Some of you think this is a bad commercial? You don't know what you're talking about, as I've seen much stranger Nintendo commercials in the past. It looks just fine to me. I always like the kind of commercials in which the video game invades the real world.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@daveh30: You obviously don't have much nostalgia or you wouldn't have typed that. Nintendo commercials before Wii were generally awesome. 3DS game commercials are also very good.

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

Wait? This game turns your room into Mario themed room? SSSSOOOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDDDD!

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

is this actually going to be on tv? I have never seen a Wii U commercial.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

They actually HAVE to show people playing with Wii Remotes this time because they are holding the new Wii Remote Mario and Luigi edition that came out this friday. At least they highlighted the part when the guy blows into the Gamepad while playing (wich I didn't know you could do that in the actual game until I saw the commercial, cool!), that would attract some people for sure. It's a nice funny commercial, I like it.

Cia

Cia said:

@Coggit
I'm not sure what you're after, but if someone were to think that Wii U and
Wii is the same thing, he'd have to be either silly or a casual player.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Its an ok commercial.....but I want to see it plastered all over TV.....by Christmas I want to be so sick of the commercial that I hate it!

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

@Coggit

I agree with the mixed message that you pointed out. And I will certainly be using my Pro Controller for this game. Unless I'm playing Nintendo Land my GamePad is only ever on long enough to turn the display off while I fire up the Pro Controller.

PixelPerfect

PixelPerfect said:

I would totally wear that pink kitty costume while playing Super Mario 3D World. Not even joking... XP

daveh30

daveh30 said:

@Gerbwmu I actually know quite a few people who play a lot more video games than I do, and consider themselves "hardcore gamers" (ie. Xbox Fanboys) who I've had to explain the Wii U to. A couple of weeks ago I was discussing it and mentioned the backwards compatibility. My coworker got a puzzled look on his face and said he was surprised it was big enough to fit a full size Wii disk in it.... he thought it was handheld system and consisted of just the gamepad. Most non-nintendo gamers that I know think its an add on for the Wii. Yes, us regular Nintendo fans think its all pretty obvious, but Nintendo has done a pretty poor job explaining the system to those who aren't actively seeking out the next 1st party Nintendo experience. Use of the Wiimotes in this commercial is just another example.

Side Question: has Pro Controller support been confirmed for this game? I know we all want it, but has nintendo stated it will be supported?

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

@Williaint lmao!

I swear I saw at least 5 XBOne commercials during The Walking Dead the other night. I'd like to see more Nintendo commercials on some adult programming now and again. Not necessarily on AMC, but you know. You know.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Visually this was interesting but I didn't like the voice at all. He didn't seem completely dis-interested but there was something odd about the sound of his voice that I found distracting. Still, if I could see a Wii U commercial on tv I'ld be happy.

I've been watching "Arrow" free on demand and I've seen the commerical for China Beach DVD set abut 30 times. I'm cringing as I type this getting ready to go watch another episode. This is where they should advertise. Not on Arrow, but On Demand w/ limited commercials but you see the same 1 30 times. Hulu does this as well. My kid watches some nauseating show called "Too Cute" about puppies and kittens. They should show this commercial during that.

The guy who narrates is 100x better than the guy in this commercial.

letsplay

letsplay said:

@Coggit I agree ! Nintendo is always looking backwards compatible but never pushing the future. And the only reason don't see Nintendo ads is I don't watch television.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@Faron Surely the game case is a giveaway that the Wii U is not a Wii, same as Gameboy, DS, Xbox and PS consoles had different game cases and virtually identical console names.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@Prof_Elvin_Gadd Walking Dead is shown on FX on Australian pay tv, and they have the new Batman game as the sponsor, with a crossover ad. If they pick the right show or channel with a good demo crossover, a big advertising push would work well, for game and console.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

LOL that commercial

But seriously, I don't care about quality at this point. Just spam it on the fudging TV.

Zeargo

Zeargo said:

Advertising a Cat? This isn't a pet shop advertisement, its a Mario game advertisement. Show me some Mario POW!! Just can't wait for this game to come out. I really enjoyed the other three 3D Mario games so much.

mudmask

mudmask said:

It's going to be difficult to decide between this and A Link Between Worlds...

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Lame commercial, but it's a commercial nonetheless. Even if it's poor, people will say "have you seen that Wii U ad on TV?" More recognition would do the world of good.

I've seen tons of Xbox One adverts already, so hopefully Nintendo follows suit with 3D World, Wind Waker, NSMBU+NSLU, Pikmin 3, Sonic Lost World, and others.

Senario

Senario said:

@Williaint It might as well be a US army enlistment commercial lol. I thought it was like that too. A sad byproduct of tons of shooters being released with an occasional realistic racing game.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Meh. The gameplay footage seen in this commercial compared to the latest trailer is pretty disapointing. :

Marshi

Marshi said:

Over this weekend ive seen 4 ads for the 3ds. 3 of them was during prime time saturday night tv. And 1 of them was advertising the new seasons in animal crossing... Thats a nearly 6 month old game and its still been advertised. And what do you know? Its selling like hot cakes.
My point to all this is I havnt seen ONE advert for the wiiu. No ad for wii party u, no ad for the amazing wii fit u promo. Not a sliver of the price drop, no mario 3d world, NOTHING!
And you're scratching your head over why wiiu sales are dismal yet 3ds is flying high?! You know sometimes I wonder if for some insane reason Nintendo dont want the wiiu to succeed... ADVERTISE YOUR F****** CONSOLE NINTENDO FOR PETES SAKE!!! ARRRGH! :@

chigster69

chigster69 said:

I dont know why people complain about the commercial, at least we have 1 now. Nintendo please release more and more commercials and surely the wii u will start selling systems.

Haywired

Haywired said:

Oh God, I didn't know the game featured the dreaded blowing into the microphone...! Was the game originally planned as a bad DS launch title from 2004? Why on earth would they advertise such a consistently terrible feature? I'm hoping it's optional right?

Anyway, other than that, I thought the commercial was excellent. Does the family-friendly thing, but with a charming, whimsical Nintendo-y twist, rather than the corny, aspirational, sterile way they would have done it last-gen.

Nareva

Nareva said:

It looks perfect for the Saturday morning cartoon crowd. Wait...does that still exist?

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@Haywired Yeah, they really stick the mic blowing at the forefront of the commercial. It's one of the main reasons I don't like it, because no one gets excited about blowing into a microphone, especially when it's being touted as a "new" way to play.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

That is an efffin TERRIBLE commercial!!! It makes the game look washed out and looks like a Wii game. It looks nothing like the AMAZING trailers they've been putting out for it!! I hope this is not going to air in North America.

Emaan

Emaan said:

This commercial was decent.

I'd love to see the creativity they finally got out with Pikmin 3 though. The 3DS ones have all been great, it's just the Wii U ads that need some improvement.

Oh well. It's their choice.