The YouTube Wii U App Update is Now Live

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"So hey guys, um, I have an update for you"

It was announced in the most recent Nintendo Direct broadcast that a YouTube app was finally coming to the 3DS, but it was also welcome news that the Wii U equivalent was set for an update. Although welcome that the video sharing giant supported the system with an official app, such has been its disappointing performance that it's often preferable to simply access the site via the Wii U web browser.

The promised update is now live on the Wii U, and is a relatively small file that should install within a few minutes on a decent connection. In general much seems the same, though since we last used the service — admittedly a while ago due to the aforementioned browser workaround — it does seem to be running a lot quicker and smoother than before. Another noticeable difference is that search results more accurately match those from the website, returning official VEVO music videos at the front of results, for example.

Navigation is still exclusively with the GamePad, while our brief tests are bringing smooth playback with a decent resolution video on the TV and controller screen.

The update should download automatically next time you open the YouTube app, so give it a whirl and let us know if you notice any improvements.

SasukeUchiha

SasukeUchiha said:

Hmm, which means Youtube for 3DS should be available on Thansgiving. :3 Hopefully it is because the e-shop for 3DS gets updated every Thursday..

AMR

AMR said:

Nothing beats YouTube on the WiiU web browser. Nice try though guys :)

Maustallica

Maustallica said:

As with most people, my one and only question is: is the app better than (or even as good as) viewing YouTube on the Wii U browser, which is pretty much the best way of viewing YouTube ever? If not, I can't see the app - which I deleted two days after getting the Wii U - getting re-installed on my system.

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

Lately, I've been running into videos on youtube that says "cannot display on this device" while on the Wii U browser. I wonder if they will eventually try to force us to use the app. :(

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

As it states in the article "Navigation is still exclusively with the GamePad". That is what I don't like about Wii U.

I tried YouTube on Wii U and found it very annoying. I had to go back to the console settings and disable the screen burn thing, but the thing that annoyed me the most was the gamepad had to be on as usual and no video on the gamepad.

I'll stick to YouTube on my Sony bravia.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

.. It's (sadly) still the only way I can "play" F-Zero on Wii U. (Take the hint, Nintendo!)

edhe

edhe said:

@EaZy_T

I've noticed that too. I'd use the dedicated app, but it regularly pauses streaming on me.

If this update fixes these issues, I'll probably use it. I wonder if we'll see a Google+ app though. Google are desperately trying to force it on YouTube users.

@urandosam It's certainly cheaper.

Kifa

Kifa said:

Might give it a try later today. Can someone confirm or deny the framerate still being terrible in any video?

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@EaZy_T That's because some videos on YouTube had been config by the uploader to only be view exclusively on non-mobile device. It's not a big issue though, you could still watch the video simply by copying and pasting "_popup" on the video's url in-between the word "watch" and "?."

shad0w-7

shad0w-7 said:

@unrandomsam While I cannot comment on how good or bad IE on XBOX One is when combined with a tablet and Smart Glass, I must point out that your statement is not relevant. To reiterate:

"Wii U web browser is the best browser on a console - ever."

Using Smart Glass with a third party tablet to browse with IE, while equivalent in terms of function and experience, is not the on par with to my statement.
Here's why: You don't get a $300 - $500 tablet with your $500 XBOX One purchase. (Do you need XBOX Live to use IE?)
The tablet is external 3rd party hardware. It is not a peripheral that is part of the console's function, and it is not purpose built for use on the console.
So, you need to test browsing with IE from your XBOX One using your XBOX One only, and then compare that to the Wii U. That is inline with my statement.

And for the record, if I had a tablet, I'd just use the tablet's browser.
But I don't have a tablet, so the Wii U fills that requirement for me.

That being said, if I had an XBOX One and a tablet with smartglass and IE (And XBOX Live - if required - I don't know), I might use it to browse on my XBOX One. But the feature would never be that relevant, as I'd still use the tablet if I wanted to browse something.

So I stand by my statement:
It is the best browser on a console - ever.

And remember, it is not a statement intended to start an argument. It is my opinion that I am sharing.

I hope you understand the point I am trying to make.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Um Yeah.......still sticking to Wii U web browser. That thing is a master piece. :P

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

@EaZy_T you can fix that by going to settings and changing the internet client to android and you will have no trouble playing youtube videos from the browser

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Kifa As I said in the article, I saw some improvement when I tried it this morning, pretty decent all around. Obviously the strength of your connection etc will play a role, but I'd say it's worth a try.

ToniK

ToniK said:

I'd love my Wii U to be my media center but my tablet is just too convenient, leaving the U obsolete for anything else than playing games. Which is the main and only reason I bought it so I'm not complaining :) But still...

ikki5

ikki5 said:

The youtube app was always bad.... all the youtube apps I have used on anything are bad. just use the browser. it is a lot better.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

I shall tell my wife... but I don't know if it will bring her back from the PS3's browser.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@PorllM I love the comfort of browsing the web on the gamepad while lying on my couch and playing a youtube video on my TV. I do agree that's the best way to watch YouTube I've ever experienced.

However, I should also admit that the Wii U web browser is pretty terrible when compared to actual PC ones. It doesn't even have beyond basic functions like an automatic feature to complete URL addresses you type on it.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I watch YouTube on my 3DTV, helps that I can use my phone to queue videos, but I preferred the Wii U app to the browser, mainly because it was good enough and quicker than using the browser.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

What I want is the ability to watch playlists on your favorite channels instead of having to search or navigate channels over and over after each episode of my favorite Let's Plays.

JQuest

JQuest said:

@unrandomsam Having an Xbox One and using IE via Smartglass I can say undoubtedly that the Wii U is still the best console browser because you have your input device right there with you without having to fire up an app on your device. Not to mention navigation seems more precise with the stylus than using your phone/tablet to what amounts as a trackpad. Besides, if I'm going to browse the web on my TV, via an app on my device, I may as well just use my device to browse the web. Though I will concede to the fact that using my phone's keyboard is better than the keyboard that the Wii U has.

As far as YouTube is concerned, it's great in the Wii U browser, but my preferred method was pushing it from my smartphone to the TV via Chromecast. I just found out last week that I can now push it to my TV via my internet connected TiVo box. Nothing beats that. Not only is the video quality better (both methods), I can set up a queue and in the case of the TiVo, I don't need to change inputs on my TV. I can just fire it up and I'm good to go. Though if I'm already on my Wii U, definitely the browser version is the bees knees.

siavm

siavm said:

You need to edit the article. The wii u version of the YouTube app can now be controlled by tablets and smartphones now. And it works pretty good.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Will the videos play smoothly though? If not, I'll just stick with YouTube on the Internet Browser.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

The old app used to play videos at like 15-20 frames per second. If this update resolves that issue, then I might actually use it.

Kifa

Kifa said:

I've just tested it and it seems that they finally sorted out the framerate issues - videos are now as smooth as on my Nexus 7, which is good. The interface is still poor though...

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Unless it's an entire overhaul, I'm not touching it. The Youtube app is one of the most terrible, stupidly designed apps I've ever used. Everything about it is cumbersome and wrong.

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

The WiiU web browser that won't run Google Play Music because its flash player is not up to date?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'll probably still use the web browser youtube on Wii U, just because you can browse other websites on the gamepad while watching videos on the TV.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

So, I'm assuming that YouTube for Nintendo 3DS is even more likely to be released tomorrow.

Sweet.

jasonbra

jasonbra said:

@EaZy_T Go change the user agent to ipad in the browser settings and youtube will work in the browser. Also works for some other sites as well.

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

I might use it now, since we can view videos on the Gamepad. It's also working better for me than the old version so far.