Mario Party: Island Tour Delayed to Early 2014 in Europe

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sad face...

During yesterday's Nintendo Direct shenanigans, with a slew of confirmations and mini-reveals to divert attention, Nintendo pushed back a winter 3DS release, and with a little more subtlety than the formal announcement of the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze delay on Wii U. Nintendo of Europe has confirmed that Mario Party: Island Tour will now be released early next year.

Not announced in this latest Nintendo Direct, but in order to deliver the optimum gaming experience for fans, Mario Party: Island Tour will now launch in early 2014.

There was no equivalent line in Nintendo of America's press release, but if the reasons are indeed to allow further development we'd suspect that the original release date of 22nd November will also be missed in the region; we'll seek clarification.

Are you disappointed in this delay, or are titles such as Pokémon X & Y, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and various others enough to keep you busy in the coming months? Let us know in the comments below.

ToniK

ToniK said:

These party games are fun, but unfortunately I don't have many people to play these with. So I will probably pass on this one as well. The occasional party night doesn't justify a purchase :/

And even if I were interested, the upcoming games will keep me busy and I won't even have the money to buy them all day-one. But of course delays are always bit of a turn-off.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

I don't actually see the point of playing Mario Party in a handheld console. Party games are much better suited to home consoles, Wii proved that.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

Nintendo's release dates are a joke. If anyone, in any serious business, consistently missed project deadlines the way this company does they would be unceremoniously fired. Instead of announcing release dates they should just say, "Keep checking stores." Not that I care about this game anyway.

Romeo

Romeo said:

i'll just quote myself from another site:

"super disappointed..
Mario Party is one of those games which (to me) make no sense on a handheld, i’d very much prefer to play this on a console

and..in my opinion (unlike mario kart, smash bros., etc.) this game (if they’d release it on a console) doesn’t need online multiplayer
it’s one of those games which is SUPER fun in local multiplayer, but an online mode doesn’t make sense to me for this type of game"

Mario Party is great for playing with the family, friends or girlfriend, but on a handheld console?
no thanks :/

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Can't say I'm surprised considering the utter silence around this game since its announcement back in Spring and a few small details released not that long ago. I imagine this will also apply to NA as well considering it sounds like the game itself is still being developed and that it's not a European issue.

LunaticPandora

LunaticPandora said:

Man i'm so bored of constant delays by Nintendo as of late. I really wish they'd stop delaying titles and just step up their development.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I barely knew this game existed, and like everyone else above me has already said Im not sure I see the point of this game on a handheld.

I think the 2/3DS will manage ok without it ;-)

Now wheres Yoshis Yarn Planet?

5ony

5ony said:

Has anyone here owned Mario Party DS? I know Advance was pretty sparse, but MP DS was a lot of fun, even if the concept of a portable Mario Party sounds silly at first.
I had quite a few friends with DS's, so it was always nice to have Mario Party around to waste time with. Good for plane rides, too.
Granted, I suppose the limited battery life across the 3DS family is the biggest concern here, since having one's system prematurely die out would ruin the experience, but (at least from my view) Mario Party on a handheld is pretty nice!

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I was disappointed until I realised it was for the 3ds not the WiiU. It would have been a perfect party game for Xmas on the WiiU, I can't imagine many people desperate for it on a portable games machine!

Entei

Entei said:

Mario party was great on ds.
I am dissapointed that this has got delayed.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

It need to be delayed in US too, I don't think it can compete with the hot titles coming later this year.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

I can't say I'm disappointed becuase I expect every Nintendo game to be delayed.

Araknie

Araknie said:

If only Mario Party will get their cycling the boards and turns back i maybe be sligthly interested, this suck major ball comparing it with MP1 to 8, even the DS one was better than this and MP9.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

DS was great, but even though I'm an American, I feel pity for Europe and it's not one of those 3DS titles that are going to be in my hands at the very first second (unlike Bravely Default). I do like Mario Party, don't get me wrong (even the "godawful" 9), but Island Tour is, again, not on my radar.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I might get if I can play it with download play with 2 other people from one cart. (I would play it with my nephew and niece as an alternative to watching junk tv (but in the same room) when I go there)

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Darn. Oh well...there are plenty of others to keep me busy the end of this year. Sounds like 2014 may be a good year for games at least.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

It's probably going to be delayed here too. I really want it though. I love party games and don't have a Wii U yet. Probably won't have one until after Christmas or at Christmas. Plus I mainly play on my 3DS anyways.

Cesco

Cesco said:

I hope Nintendo will use this extra time to implement an online multiplayer mode

InternetFurret

InternetFurret said:

@Araknie Those mario party were developed by hudson soft (rip) so the original gameplay style isnt owned by nintendo. Thats why they changed it for mp 9.

Btw, i hope they delayed it because theyre going to add online multiplayer.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

The name gave it all away, 2013 is the year of Luigi so it had to be delayed to call it Mario party!!!

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

A handheld Mario spinoff getting delayed until the following year in order to favor the home console, what a surprise.

This is Mario Slam Basketball (or Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for you yanks out there) all over again.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

So, only Pokemon, Zelda, Bravely Default and Batman for the remainder of the year? That's too sparse.

Goginho

Goginho said:

hmm..I may be wrong, but I think Nintendo could still release these games on their original date if they wanted to. The reason I think they are delaying both Tropical Freeze and Mario Party is not because of completion's sake and the "optimal gameplay experience" (although quite possible a part of it), but because of all the other titles coming out later this year, and maybe they realize that causing a huge, sudden influx of games is not a great idea, as a drought could follow.

So therefore I think Nintendo is dispersing their releases on different phases.

I REALLY want Nintendo to release ALL the hits at once sometime in the future. Imagine, 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Kirby, Yoshi...etc. on both handheld and console ..not to mention the Wii Party game + Wii Fitness / Sports game all on the same day :D around Christmas lol
Now that would be something hehe, so much choice.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I'm disappointed. I love some Mario Party and the only 3DS game I'll be picking up for the remainder of 2013 is A Link Between Worlds so another game would've been nice. Just adds to the ever growing pile of games for 2014. Bring on the Wii U games!

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

@5ony My family and a few family friends, most of which don't care for gaming at all, became obsessed with Mario Party DS.

I also played it on the bus ride to school with a couple of my friends; There would always be this random fourth player on the bus at times, though we never figured out who, that would kick all of our donkeys and it was hilarious.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Nintendo and these delays.tut tut tut.
We haven't even heard anything about Brain Training 3D yet.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Not really worried about delays at all at this point. Too many games right now. And this from a Wii U owner. :)

I play way more games lately than I have in a while, too. Those that feel they are in a drought should probably broaden their game tastes? There is SO much out there it's insane.

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

I'm all okay with pushing a game back to make it better... But don't set a release date for it until you know for sure it's going to be ready. I think a lot of times Nintendo says it's to "develop a game further" but I'm starting to think it's really to push games into a time where it looks like there will be a video game drought. Just don't announce a release date then!

BlueBlurIxM

BlueBlurIxM said:

@zeldagaymer93 Yea.. I hope they will announce the real release day for SSB4. I will be really pissed if they delay it. I have no problem if it get released late, but if they promise a date.. NO!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

It seems like they are switching all resources to and from 3DS and Wii U.

(Mario Golf they seem to have forgotten about as well).

astros75

astros75 said:

Dang it, another potential Christmas present that won't be happening. Was looking forward to playing this with the family during the holidays... If its to enhance the experience then it's for the best I suppose.

SteveSnowmn

SteveSnowmn said:

I'm more annoyed that NoA didn't even mention it in their direct when I was expecting to hear more about it. Now I find out from NoE that it's been delayed. If there's no online minigame competition then no buy from me.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Saw this coming this game would have been swallowed in all the 3DS releases like DKTF with all the Wii U releases.

TrueGamer1985

TrueGamer1985 said:

Wow another game delayed again Nintendo what the world they was doing this whole year with these games? Nintendo had a whole year advantage to win over their consumers vs the competition and time and time again they proved to me that they aren't ready for the next gen and these "friendly" people continues to praise them over anything they do right or wrong sigh........sad face indeed.......

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

If Europe is getting delayed then NA needs to get delay as well. I mean it's bad enough that Super Mario 3D World & A Link between Worlds come out the same day! So is this Mario Party for NA...'hope it's pushed to 2014... gives me more time to play other games because I definitely want this Mario Party."

MIDP

MIDP said:

@Romeo
I totally disagree
Mario Party DS is one of my favorite games, and the one thing Ive been asking for to improve this series is online.

I agree it is way more fun locally, but that doesnt mean playing it online wouldnt be a blast.

It will definitely give it a bigger lasting appeal if done correctly.

MIDP

MIDP said:

@aaronsullivan

Thanks you for pointing that out. Could not agree more.
There is just waay to many games out there and even more coming.
Im not complaining...except I am complaining about people complaining...I guess.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Another delay?

This game better be really good. I was looking forward to playing this around Christmas time this year ;__;

SirMime

SirMime said:

Slightly gutted that we won't be getting this until next year, but at the same time I'm glad I won't be buying it at the same time (roughly) as X/Y or A Link between Worlds. Give me a good Month or so with each of them and then I'll be waiting eagerly to try out Mario's next slammin' party.
BTW have they announced how the multiplayer will work yet? I.e. is it just local or online?

Mahe

Mahe said:

They probably didn't want to release it so close to Wii Party U.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@GreatPlayer because Mario Party always has fantastic one player gameplay and wii party u doesn't?
also, i've always played mario parties alone because i had no one to play with, so i'll love this version.

TheGreatGamer

TheGreatGamer said:

What... This is awful! At least I have some games to keep me busy though... There is DLC version right?