Bertil Hörberg Shows Gunman Clive Running on the Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Undecided on a potential release

Although his one-man studio has only released one game on Nintendo systems, its quality is such that the name Bertil Hörberg is fairly well-known among Nintendo download enthusiasts. Gunman Clive is not only an excellent game at a fantastic budget-price on the 3DS eShop, but its also held up as a notable success story for the platform, with its exposure and positive word-of-mouth helping the portable's version to outsell both its Android and iOS equivalents.

The good news is that Hörberg is working on a new title, with a top-down perspective, for the 3DS, and he very recently acquired a Wii U development kit. He's now taken to Twitter to show a result of his early dabbling with the system, posting the following update.

It's been made clear that it's far from confirmed that Gunman Clive will be coming to the Wii U eShop, with Hörberg stating that he's simply porting his technology and testing out the hardware. As a potential budget title with a strong reputation, however, there have certainly been worse ideas.

Would you like this experiment to turn into a full port to join the other 3DS eShop re-releases — such as Mutant Mudds and Mighty Switch Force! — on the Wii U eShop? Let us know in the comments below.

Xilef

Xilef said:

Might buy it again if it has some extras. If it gets released again, that is.

Mommar

Mommar said:

... Gunman Clive was an interesting aesthetic but boring gameplay.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'd probably buy it again if it stays cheap, even if it doesn't add anything in comparison to the 3DS release.

Shambo

Shambo said:

On 3ds it was very enjoyable to watch and play, and the pricetag was amazing. I'd buy it again, or welcome a new installment with open arms on Wii U. And while a system crash/freeze did happen once to me on the train boss stage, I still remember that train boss as one of the coolest things in recent gaming history.

RQuinain

RQuinain said:

I'd so buy this game on Wii U for $5 if he can add a slew of extra content on it. Weapons and levels particularly.The 3DS version was much more gameplay than I expected for a $2 game, so imagine how much we'd get for $5!

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

I'm a big fan now after finally playing Bionic Commando ReArmed on PS3, and seeing Bertil's name in the credits. The guy is a genius.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Gunman Clive is awesome, but wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too short. Thanks to infinite lives, you can finish the game in no time at all with virtually no punishment for your flaws. Of course, for the price tag, it's more than worth it. But the quality is such that this guy really should do a much bigger Gunman Clive 2. He can charge, I don't know, 15 bucks for it if he wants to - still would be a day-one download for me.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

As someone who doesn't have a 3DS and likes the look of this game I'd love to see it come to Wii U.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

I don't know if I NEED this game again on Wii U, but I would certainly be interested in another game from him. Gunman Clive was a great game, and for the price, should be on everyone's 3DS.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Screw a Wii U port of Gunman Clive; I'm far more interested in whatever new games he's got cooking up.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

wiiU eshop seems to be 10 times bigger and better than what you can get reatil for the wiiU :o

edcomics

edcomics said:

I would buy a new game with new stages. I loved the first one. I loved the style, the length, the difficulty level, and the price :D It really was a perfect sShop release, in my opinion. Nice, bite-sized fun. I would probably buy more "episodes" if they kept producing them, and I'd prefer that episodic approach over a larger game experience.

Yasume

Yasume said:

I'm actually amazed that this game still hasn't gotten the greenlight on Steam. :(

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I never knew he was involved with Bionic Commando Rearmed (Which I think is top quality).
(Even more bothered about what he does next now. Wayforward no longer hold any real interest to me - GBC Shantae / Contra 4 are the only ones I am happy with most things about.)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I'd buy a simple port. This would surely attract attention as (likely) the cheapest game on Wii U!

skjia

skjia said:

@sinalefa I now must search the internet for an incident when someone was killed by two dollars. lol jk
But yeah I would get it again to support him even if it didn't add anything new,

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I would only buy it if he actually expanded upon the game - a lot!
As reasonable as it was for 2$, the game was too short, too easy, and too reptitive. But it still has a lot of potential, with new stages, extra challenges and maybe some collectable stuff to ramp up repalyability.
We'll see if this will be the base of him developing something entierly new, or expanding Gunman Clive into a longer journey than it was before.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Gunman Clive was simply fantastic. The graphics were gorgeous, the music wonderful, the platforming tight, and the value phenomenal. I wouldn't buy the exact same game for Wii U, but I'd check out an extended version or a sequel for sure. When is his Zelda inspired game coming out?

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

@shambo Yes, the train boss! The way it transforms itself is indeed awesome, but the little pose it strikes afterwards never fails to make me chuckle!

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I bought this game 2 days ago. It's a pretty decent title. It's what I would expect from a $2 game and quite a bit more.

TenEighty

TenEighty said:

As a Wii U Developer, I know you are not suppose to show pics of the development hardware.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

@Captain_Balko

Agreed! My fourth favorite 3DS title.

If I had a WiiU ( "I wish I was taller, I wish I was a baller...." ) I'd definitely buy it again, to help soften the possible Kickstarter for his next title. :)

JustinH

JustinH said:

Thought it was amazing for a $2 title. I don't know if I'd buy it again on Wii U but I'd be pumping its tires like nobody's business.

Smug43

Smug43 said:

I hope his next game is ala gunsmoke (NES)... top down western themed shooter would be fantastic!!!