New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Game Coming To Wii And 3DS

Posted by Andy Green

Turtle power!

A new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles video game is coming to Wii, 3DS and Xbox 360 later this year, which will be based on the current animated series on Nickelodeon.

It's going to be a sidescrolling brawler and will feature local multiplayer for the home console versions in which four people can drop in and out of the action. Characters will have secondary items on top of their typical weaponry and can be upgraded as the game progresses.

Activision is taking up publishing duties for the game, while Magic Pockets is behind the development. Naturally, Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo and Raphael all feature and it will bridge the gap between the first and second seasons of the show.

Sidescrolling fighters with the heroes in a half shell aren't usually too bad so this one might be worth a watch. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is releasing this Summer on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 so this new title will give Nintendo fans a slice of the action.

The new game will emerge on 22nd and 25th October in North America and Europe respectively. Australians probably stopped reading as soon as they saw Activision is involved but it's been confirmed for a release Down Under and will be there on 23rd October.

Are you looking forward to seeing more from this? Let us know in the comment section below.

Aaronzord

Aaronzord said:

Kinda disappointing it's for Wii and not Wii U, but I'll pick it up for 360 and 3DS anyway.

MAB

MAB said:

At least they can't blame the WiiU when this has terrible sales ;)

pntjr

pntjr said:

IF the Wii U takes off, watch them port the 360 version to the Wii U.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Sure... support dying a console, but not the brand new console. I swear developers are getting more and more dumb.

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

3DS buy for me, if only for plot reasons about the show. Which is surprisingly great for a reboot. Also, sidescrolling brawlers are pretty fun.

nyallj

nyallj said:

Doesn't the Wii U play Wii games? Would that not equate therefore as a 'new' game to the 'Wii U' platform?

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@nyallj The Wii U doesn't play Wii games. The Wii U simulates a Wii mode, which allows you to play Wii games. Just like Windows 7 had a "Windows XP Mode".

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Sucks - Konami should do it not Activision. (That Turtles Arcade game was ace when it first came out). Probably contracting it out but Activision won't make it good.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@SanderEvers Can you stick a Wii disk in the WIi U and will the game play? Yes. Therefore, the Wii U plays Wii games. Stop trying to complain about something you can't complain about.

GazPlant

GazPlant said:

Hang on, if this is a mid-season filler, why is it out a month after S2 starts?

rjejr

rjejr said:

Wii, Xbox360 and 3DS is a weird combo. They should have gone completely retro and made it for the DSi instead (Which would play on the 3DS).

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

I would love to see konami pick up the rights and make a new version of turtles tournament fighters, that was a pretty decent fighter.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

This game looks pretty awful but I might get it simply because I'm in love with the show.

Knux

Knux said:

The choice of platforms doesn't really bother me, but I have a feeling the game might turn out to be crap.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Nty the days of good TMNT stuff is over. Its now just a cash cow for Nickelodeon praying on peoples nostalgia.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

If its coming to Wii, you can play it on WiiU, so it doesnt matter much. I just hope its a good game, cause i loved TMNT 3 on NES, TMNT IV on SNES and the rebooted series beat em ups on GCN. Multiplayer beat em ups will always have a place in my heart, and a new one to play with my son would be awesome!

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

This is good. Out Of The Shadows has some of the ugliest character designs for TMNT i've ever seen.

Edit: That said, no Wii U? Seriously? : /

Diamond

Diamond said:

Why can't it be tmnt out of shadows? That looks awesome

I want that game ported to the 3DS!

BATRA

BATRA said:

@pntjr THATS VERY TRUE AND RIGHT NOW
PIKMIN 3 HAS 900,000 PEOPLE BUYING A COPY OF THE GAME IN TO TODAYS

RedRocBoy

RedRocBoy said:

I rather have Out Of The Shadows on my Wii U. Don't understand why they couldn't port this to the Wii U. Crazy.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

Its been said but i gotta throw in my wtf no wii u?! My son and i LOVE the turtles! Still prob get the wii version...

hydeks

hydeks said:

YES! We get the side-scrolling TMNT game based more off the new show! That's what I was hoping for! I'll probably get the 3DS version, but I have to see pics before deciding.

I still might get TMNT Out of the Shadows, but for PC. It'll be odd, but I want to play it :P

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

I might just have to pick this up, as TMNT is one of my favorite franchises of all time. In light of the Wii U install base, it was smart of them to release it on the Wii. It will cover the whole Nintendo home console install base. Those that haven't picked up a Wii U yet and obviously those that do have a Wii U can still play it too.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Here's an idea:
Why not add a Wii U mode where the game renders in a higher resolution when played on Wii U? Would it be so hard to do?
Remember the color mode in some Gameboy games when played on Gameboy Color! Would be a smart thing to do.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

They don't make the TMNT games like they used to. Why not just give us TMNT 1-3 on the 3DS? Heck, even throw in tournament fighter and TMNT 4!

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

Though I love the series and the retro games but I doubt this will be any good. If it is .. I'll get it just to "revisit my childhood".... Good line Corbs :)

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

"Coming on the Wii but not Wii U? I didn't realize Wii games were still being made...." But since people are still buying Wiis, I suppose it makes sense more since to have on the Wii than the Wii U. Hmm....I rather it on the Wii U but I'll probably get it for PS3...

thepitt

thepitt said:

Side scrolling brawlers are great.

I've always wondered why I purchased TMNT: ReShelled and then it suddenly vanished into thin air and I never got my money back ...

hydeks

hydeks said:

@Tasuki ActiVision owns the game rights, and Nickelodeon owns the TMNT rights, so it would be there choice, not Konami. It would be like when Ubisoft had the TMNT Re-shelled game out, they would just have Konami logo to give them credit for making the game, but as for releasing the games, that's up to Nickelodeon and then ActiVision to do.

NImH

NImH said:

This game has all the makings of another hardcore letdown.
@Tasuki No one's a TMNT critic like me... and I have the clout of an actual original generation comic series and cartoon fan. The new series may be a money maker, but that does not dictate that it's automatically trash. On the contrary, I see a lot of nods to the comic and to the original cartoon series that have been completely neglected by the last few iterations of TMNT. I love the new series and I haven't been able to say that about a modern interpolation of Ninja Turtles for a really long time.
But this game's gonna be garbage.

dyopri

dyopri said:

mercurio2054

mercurio2054 said:

X2 = what are you guys b*tching about? buy the wii version and go play it on the Wii U! backward compatibility! problem solved easypeasy :p

ogo79

ogo79 said:

"what are you guys b*tching about?"

heh, thats the new part time hobby infused with gaming, didnt you know?

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Yeah...there seems to be too many people upset about this. You realize Wii has a much larger base of consumers for this type of game than Wii U? Just because it's a newer system does not guarantee higher sales.