The Super Mario Bros. Movie Is Getting a 20th Anniversary Screening In LA

Posted by Damien McFerran

Possibly more than it deserves?

Twenty years ago, Mario and Luigi starred in a pretty dismal Hollywood movie which almost ruined the career of Harold Ramis and still annoys star Bob Hoskins even today.

However, there are still plenty of people who grew up loving the film — in the same way you come to love a tatty old teddy from your childhood, we guess — and those very same individuals will no doubt be overjoyed to learn that this cult movie is getting a 20th anniversary screening later this month.

Here's the word from the event's Facebook page:

The time has come! As the 20th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. draws near, we are pleased to announce a special screening that will be held at the NuArt Theatre in Los Angeles, CA on Friday, May 24th at midnight!

Screenwriter Parker Bennett and production designer David L. Snyder will be sitting on a Q & A panel, answering questions from fans.

We will also have a few other anniversary surprises, so be sure to join us in the festivities!

If you're based near LA, will you be making the trip? Post a comment to tell us.

[via iheartnintendo.com]

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I personally think the Super Mario Bros film was necessary- because it showed film makers that by only using names and the vaguest of connections to source material leaves the fans unhappy. These days films like the Avengers stick much closer to the original idea which keeps the fans a lot happier.

It wasn't really a bad bland Hollywood film, it just didn't really have that much in connection with the Game, probably due to the lack of CGI and reliance on real life actors. I would be curious to see what a Mario film produced these days would look like though....

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I thought it was a great film. It was like if Monty Python made The Dark Crystal.

Obviously less good as an interpretation of Mario.

Flashman

Flashman said:

How did it "almost ruin the career of Harold Ramis"? He had nothing to do with the making of it apart from having been offered the Directors job, which he turned down.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

If I could go to see this timeless classic, I would. 20 years, and Hollywood has yet to make another movie quite like Super Mario Bros!

Rief

Rief said:

Not worthy to show it again...
It should be burried in a desert somewhere...

rockman_zero

rockman_zero said:

I enjoyed this movie as a kid and to this day I still do most of can say it was bad all u want u forget the garbage vg movies out now its funny how u don't remember double dragon movie and how bad it was

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Wow its hard to believe its been 20 years of disappointment. Can't actually imagine someone making a worse Mario bros movie even if they were trying really hard to make a worse Mario bros movie.

Fudgewhizzle

Fudgewhizzle said:

Probably one of the worst movies ever... It goes perfectly along with Streetfighter the Movie.

Which reminds me, I should plan a movie marathon featuring those two at least... :P

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

If there's going to be another movie, Nintendo should make it themselves. Nobody else. Ever.

rockman_zero

rockman_zero said:

@Fudgewhizzle u want bad movies go watch live action resident evils doom double dragon. 2nd Mk movie bloodrayne dungeon siege both street fighters house of the dead live action tekken and king of fighters

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@MrGawain Actually the Avengers movie is vaguely like the comic. I'm certain that the ORIGINAL doesn't concern Loki. Either way, there are tons of different story arcs they could've done.

Like how people say the movie wasn't close to the book, it goes the same way with comicbooks, too.

EDIT: It's still closer to the comic than what Mario Bros. did.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

@MrGawain
While I understand your point, You are wrong:
Spider-Man Trilogy
X-Men Series
Amazing Spider-Man
Fantastic Four
Nolan's Batman films
The Walking Dead
are all VASTLY different from the source.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I saw it twice opening weekend (seriously). I was 11 and thought it was an interesting take on the source material. Seeing Yoshi, "Bowser," Toad, Iggy & Spike, etc. was awesome. It's like Burton's BATMAN, you have to make a FILM version. Would I have rather seen the more abstract version of the script? Absolutely, but we got a Mario movie and it's not THAT bad. I still play as Luigi in all of the spin-off games because of Leguizamo. (Everyone kept laying a stake to Yoshi in SUPER MARIO KART....)

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

You gotta love this trailer because it's so bad. I grew up loving the movie so it does have a special spot in my heart I guess. Also, when Bowser say "see you later aligator", he kind of sounds like Dr. Evil.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

Honestly making Nintendo franchises look like they're from real life is stupid because it looks disturbing. I once saw a hyper realistic Mewtwo on the internet and it looks like it's about to die of thirst. It also no longer looks like a grey alien.

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

The only thing good about this film is the inclusion of the Roxette track "Almost Unreal" on the soundtrack.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

@Red_Kinetic @HeatBombastic

All my point is That in the Avengers, most of the characters look quite like their counterparts, have similar back stories, and live in a similar world to the comics. Batman and Spiderman at least try to follow the key points of the original source as well, even if some things are changed to make them fit into a 90 minute movie.

In the Mario Brothers film, Luigi was a pretty boy teenager. Daisy was his tough sassy girlfriend who was an orphaned college student, who was from a race of parallel humans who evovled from reptiles, as was Dennis Hopper who had sticky up blonde hair. He de-evolves people into 7 foot reptile creatures called Koopa Troopers, including a guy named Toad. Eventually Dennis Hopper is turned into a giant Tyrannasaurus, and they all have a fight. If you turned the sound down on this film, there's a chance you wouldn't be able to figure out it was connected to the iconic video game at all- Only Bob Hoskins comes close to resembling the character he's playing.

Trust me, these days Hollywood gives the original source material more reverence.

Flashman

Flashman said:

@Damo Not really because had someone else directed it the look and feel of the movie would have been dramatically different and would have performed differently at the box office!

Going by the logic that it almost ruined his career then you should add Danny Devito to it as he too turned down the part of Mario!!

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

@Midnight3DS - I heartily agree.

I hated the movie when I first saw it, but my perspective on crummy movies has changed, so I might actually enjoy it for the laughs and my own snarky commentary.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

My mum took me to the cinema to see this when I was 8 lol

I even had the action figures ! good times

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

This movie came out when I was in high school . I was so excited to see it, and then I saw it. And I wish I could forget it existed. Thanks for reminding me about it NL.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I sort of regret watching that trailer.

And Luigi doesn't even have a mustache? What's with that?

nocode

nocode said:

This movie was painful. I wouldn't even put it in the same league as the street fighter movie. That movie is definitely so bad it's good, mario bros is just bad.

FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG said:

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!----I grew up in the 90's and remember all the hype, and promos and such for the movie---and was SO psyched when i rented it on VHS at Blockbuster back in the day! Yeah, it's cheesy--but NO more cheesy than the "DOUBLE DRAGON" movie, or the MORTAL KOMBAT prequel---PLUS this had YOSHI, and a ton of great little easter eggs and other hidden gems: Mario's girlfriend in the movie Danielle's middle name is PAULINE---the bomb-omb scene is the GREATEST SCENE EVER!! The Super Scope is the Devo Gun, bullet bills are the stomper cartridges(sorta Kuribo shoes I'm betting), THWOMP is a bar, Hammer Bros sign, SMB1 music in the beginning of the credits, Spike and Iggy, "Big Bertha the bouncer at the Boom Boom Bar"(SMB3 LOVE!!)---and it's just a perfect mesh of Mario madness...
it stank, yeah, but its still a great piece of horribly-awesome video game movie!!

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

This is a fun movie, i don´t know why all talk bad about it. It is fun and the videogames are fun, this is the logic.

MrCanzine

MrCanzine said:

A lot of people hated this movie because it strayed from the source material, but I think they didn't have much of a choice. At the time this was made, Mario games were about running through levels, jumping on goombas, kicking turtle shells and using a leaf to turn you into a flying raccoon while avoiding an angry sun who chased you.

I think what they did with this was interesting, they created back stories for one dimensional characters and tried to add some sort of realism to it. Some parts were very cheesy of course, but overall it wasn't too bad. The trick is to separate in your mind this movie from the video games enough to not be annoyed that a thwomp is some big lady with power boots rather than a giant stone that floats up in the air and falls down. Or that King Koopa is an evolved Tyranasaurus who rules the land, rather than a big spiky lizard who jumps up and down and blows fireballs.

For live action, I liked Super Mario Bros.
For staying true to the Super Mario games, there's always Super Mario Bros. Super Show and the Adventures of SMB3 cartoons.

Krshna28

Krshna28 said:

a.) The film nobody likes
b.) The film nobody cares about

Honestly, why bother?