Skullgirls Wii U eShop Release "Unlikely" Until The Console's Sales Pick Up

Posted by Damien McFerran

Developer feels Nintendo needs to "establish" its digital presence, too

2D downloadable fighter Skullgirls would appear to be the ideal candidate for a Wii U eShop release. The brawler has already graced both Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, and one would assume that making the leap to Nintendo's digital store front wouldn't take much effort.

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. When asked about the possibility of a Wii U eShop launch, the official Skullgirls Twitter account gave this reply:

That's fair comment on sales — developers obviously want a large user-base so there's plenty of people to buy their software — but "establishing a digital presence"? Surely Nintendo has taken steps towards doing that already with the Wii U eShop?

Is Skullgirls a game you'd like to see on the Wii U? Leave a comment to tell us your thoughts.

MAB

MAB said:

This doesn't even look that great anyway... Plenty of better fighters on the Wii VC Neo Geo if that's your kind of thing ;)

KidNo0b

KidNo0b said:

I'd love to see skullgirls come to the WiiU! But they do have a point about sales

gaDronilDdos

gaDronilDdos said:

I'd like to see Skullgirls in the eShop.
I also would SG to make it to EVO in the future. Would be nice to have other league play games besides Injustice and TTT2.

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

They can be like EA and be late to the game if they so desire. There will be a decent amount of indie success stories (Trine 2 can be considered a success already) before they even get around to thinking about releasing. If your game is good then people will buy it. Wii U userbase will be around 8-10m by years end with this company still twiddling its thumbs. Their game probably isn't that great just like the EA games they sent to fail (NFS only port that actual effort was put into). This title looks okay for a 2d fighter but nothing special.

If they are so concerned about eshop presence why not put it on 3DS? I believe this game would perform better on 3DS which obviously has an established eshop presence with many success stories.

banacheck

banacheck said:

And this is what is going to make the difference when next generation console's hit as well as price, evey console has classic game's retro if you will, but every console is not getting supported. Not getting support is going to be Nintendo's biggest problem, people already own and buy mobile games for mobiles not for consoles. I haven't played this game so i cannot say how it plays but i've heard good things.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

I almost completly understand where their coming from with this. Sales a little low but they wouldn't be if developers actually grow some ballz andcame out with games for it. How do you expect something to sale when you don't support it? I could say the same thing to Nintendo to honestly.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I cannot buy this on psn so i could buy it on wii u, if u ever release it there

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I still find it odd that Nintendo are moving towards digital distribution, without any way for users to create accounts on the eshop...

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'm constantly surprised by the fact people think its a 3rd party developers duty to send their game out so it can help Wii U sell. Putting a game on when install base is low isn't showing balls, it's making a poor financial decision.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

@SethNintendo I should clarify, an account that doesn’t link what you have bought to a specific system, which would conveniently allow you to transfer your purchases in the case of the system breaking, or getting lost somehow in the case of a hand held.
I'm aware of the club Nintendo accounts, I think there's room for improvement in this area.

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

@Ristar42 Yes, there is room for improvement. I knew you were really meaning account linking and dealing with lost or stolen systems (one doesn't have to worry too much about reliability considering this is Nintendo and not Microsoft/Sony although there is still chance of reliability issues). I mainly wanted you to put the full response down to clarify the situation.

mayhem13

mayhem13 said:

I like that they are being honest and admitting it is about the money. With all these publishers and developers using their bull about it won't run this or do that. No, the real reason is money. Third party games don't sell on the Wii U, Third party games lose money on the Wii U, why bother making a Wii U 3rd party game if you are just going to lose money. If the Wii U can somehow prove it can sell 3rd party games over the next two years. You'll see everyone come on board and release their games. All about money.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

@SethNintendo I thought you did, most gamers are aware of the issues relating to accounts.
I think such an account system would improve the service, hence an uptake in people using the service, and hopefully then more developers putting their games on the eshop.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I really don't see the appeal in this unless you're some sex starved creep who's has nothing better to do than beat the crap out of half naked anime girls.

AgentAPE

AgentAPE said:

Im a fighting game fan, but a few more factors are hurting the wii u in this genre, like an affordable arcade stick, the only one I found was the tekken tag 2 stick @ 160 bucks! no thanks

odd69

odd69 said:

this game wasn't fun for me, I rather street fighter, no big deal for me

Royalblues

Royalblues said:

I mean, 100 people have this game. And like 5 people out of them have a wii u, so... hmmm......

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I'm not even upset. I wouldn't put my game on the Wii U right now either.
It just doesn't make sense.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

I wonder if developers will ever realize that the reason Wii U sales are down is because they're not giving it any games.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Peach64 Agreed! I swear Nintendo fans are getting just as bad as the Sony and Microsoft fans. Every time an article comes out about the Wii U "not getting something", Ninty fans start up "well...the game isn't that good anyway" or something to that effect. The game is actually quite good with great music to it. Can't get upset with the dev. Nintendo needs to find another approach with how they distribute their marketing for games and such.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I have this on 360, pretty good game. Not trying to knock the Wii U but do fighting games even sell well on Nintendo systems?

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

Depressing. I was wondering why it wasn't coming to Wii U, it's the only way I'd ever play it. Although their statement about establishing digital presence shows somebody hasn't been paying attention at all.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I thought the Wii U was supposed to be great for smaller developers or something. I think the issue they are having is with the cost of porting. Maybe they should have another donation drive and raise another $300,000 Personally, I'm not a fan of Skullgirls. The 80's cartoon theme isn't for me. I'll stick to Mahvel.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I already figured that some developers would be too uneasy about bringing this game to the Wii U because of sales. I hope that this holiday season changes that.

gameboy1975

gameboy1975 said:

So if I am not impressed by or like the game I am some angry fanboy or hater? Come on man. It just never seemed that interesting to me. Well not interesting enough for me to care about it coming to a home console. Really, at the end of the day it is only games. They don't want to bring it over, fine. That's their choice. That's money that THEY don't make. And like someone aforementioned,the 3DS could've been a potential target. With it's momentum, the e-shop presence & install base, that may have a been an environment where both parties could pitentially benefit. You get to expose your game to another audience of potential buyers with a decent install base, perhaps nabbing some followers. And Nintendo users get a new game to try & maybe enjoy.

The funny thing is that while I don't think much ofthe game or what i have seen of it previously, if they had actually put it out for the system I may have wound up purchasing it as it looks like something that my sis would ask me about. Or even my fiancé who plays games every now & then. The female leads would've dragged them in which in turn may have gotten my money spent on it. Or perhaps I may have purchased it when I was bored as hell & had some throw away cash? How about someone who's on (or been on) the fence that impulse buys? One of those previously given examples is why I have Trine for real. And in all reality, that seems like a much more expensive venture than a 2D fighter to bring over, but whatever works.

And who knows how many others there are out of the 4 million or so Wii U owners with similar thinking, positioning etc.. Ah well, it's good to know that they made the decision for us not to worry about it. And if there's 1 thing that I absolutely CAN guarantee is that if they dont want to grab the Nintendo fanbases money that another dev wants it & will. And yeah,I get bummed every now & then about missing a title or 2. Any gamer has or will at some point, but this surely isn 1 of those instances ha ha.

edcomics

edcomics said:

This always happens. I see a pretty image that looks really interesting, and the article says "This isn't coming to WiiU."

Rafie

Rafie said:

@SethNintendo Well Super Street Fighter 4 has done well for itself, so I wouldn't say it would completely obliterate SSF4....nevermind I retract that statement. Carry on! :p

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

@Rafie SF4 is pretty far down the list. Nice attempt though because I thought it did better till I looked at sales.

Smash Bros Brawl - 11.63m
Tekken 3 (PS)- 7.16m
Smash Bros Melee - 7.07m
SF2 The Road Warrior (SNES) - 6.3m
Tekken 2 (PS) - 5.74
Smash Bros - 5.55m
SF2 Turbo (SNES) - 4.1m
Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2) - 4.05m
Tekken 5 (PS2) - 3.87m

Brawl decent increase from Melee was probably thanks to the much larger console sales from GC-Wii. Melee would have probably hit 10m if the GC sold more than 22m. So a few games come close to Smash but they were released on PS1 and SNES. Basically, Smash smashes the competition.

dungeonmaster11

dungeonmaster11 said:

I can definitely understand where Lab Zero is coming from here. I want to make things clear: I LOVE Nintendo, the Wii U is awesome, and I'm sure that sales for it will pick up in the future. But here's the thing: Lab Zero is in a position where they REALLY need to play it safe. Like, they've gotten a great deal of support, especially with their recent indiegogo campaign for adding new characters and content (I was a contributor myself!), but they're still on really turbulent waters as far as having stable footing in the industry goes, and after the recent, narrowly-avoided disaster with some petulant donaters and PayPal, I can definitely understand them wanting to play it ultra-safe. I guess what I'm saying is, don't automatically assume that because they're hesitant to support the Wii U at the moment, that they hate Nintendo, or are snobs, or that their game is automatically not worth playing because of that. And to be clear, the game is SOOOOO much more than just fanservice.

AgentAPE

AgentAPE said:

@dungeonmaster11 alot of perspective here, i think quite a few devs are going through this without saying it , especially those indies using kickstarter. well said.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@SethNintendo Dude I said I retracted my post. LOL I googled the numbers myself. Also you're missing the Mortal Kombat numbers. That's coin-op included. :)

Henmii

Henmii said:

They better establish their Retail presence! I am fed up of all the downloadable games news lately regarding Wii u, I want to see lots of great Retail titles! Not only from Nintendo, but also from third-party's!! When does Nintendo realize that downloads alone won't sell ANY Wii u?!

Pod

Pod said:

That's sort of a dumb remark. Well by that time their game will be old news, and Wii U owners won't be starved for quirky little things such as Skullgirls anymore.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I'm still waiting for this to go on Sale on the PS3. I'd never buy a 2D fighter on the Wii U, though. The D-Pad's no where near as good from what I've experienced.

DarrelltheJ

DarrelltheJ said:

I'd definitely buy Skullgirls again on Wii U. Especially if its the updated version with the new dlc characters in.

Azikira

Azikira said:

Skullgirls was incredibly boring and unbalanced. For the fans of the game I hope they can get it, but as for me I will be sitting this one out.