Capcom Open To More Retro Remakes, Reveals Fan Demand For Aliens vs. Predator

Posted by Damien McFerran

Company looking to the past for potential projects

This year, Capcom will be bringing DuckTales Remastered and Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara to the Wii U, as well as other systems. Remakes of two beloved past classics, these titles are apparently just the tip of the iceberg.

Speaking to Polygon, Capcom's senior product manager Matt Dahlgren and associate manager of global marketing relations Dan Pantumsinchai have revealed that other fan favourites could get the remake treatment, too.

While the pair couldn't devulge exactly which games are in the pipeline, they did reveal the title which fans have been asking for the most: the 1994 side-scrolling 2D fighter Aliens vs. Predator. The game has never been ported to any home system — the closest it ever got was a rumoured conversion for Sega's ill-fated 32X, which never happened. As massive fans of the game — and the side-scrolling brawler genre in general — we'd love to see it get a second chance, assuming Capcom can negotiate a new license with 20th Century Fox.

What other Capcom classics would you like to see given a new lease of life? Ghouls 'n Ghosts? Knights of the Round? LED Storm? Strider? Willow? Post a comment to tell us.

[via polygon.com]

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Knights of the Round remake please. Heck, just take on online multi and you can release all the beat em ups you want. That would be great fun on the Wii U!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

You forgot to mention Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. That was one of Capcoms best beat em ups ever.

Nomad

Nomad said:

There's heaps of Capcom games I'd like to see remade. Black Tiger, Magic Sword, King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Strider, Forgotten Worlds, Demons Crest, Willow, Ghouls n Ghosts, pretty much most of their 2D arcade games. Oh, and can't forget Red Earth, would love a Red Earth remake.

hendie001

hendie001 said:

Ducktails 2 and little nemo dream master haha. Megaman 2 and megaman x would be super cool too.

MKCustodial

MKCustodial said:

Count me in for Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and Captain Commando, plus The Punisher. Also, if it's not too much trouble... Disney's Aladdin? It was a great game!

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

@emeyece @majinx07
Here, here! Captain Commando for sure!
Also, while they're doing Disney games, I'd like to see a remake of Aladdin. That game was pretty challenging on SNES.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

The Aliens vs Predator game would be fantastic, I think it should have been avaliable online long ago.

I suggested Red Earth/ Warzard in the survey. I´ve never played it but it seems very interesting. Looking forward to the translated D&D!

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned for a Power Stone remake.
And if possible, remake the Misadventures of Tron Bonne!

Kirk

Kirk said:

I'd love to see a retro remake of Aliens vs. Predator.

To be fair, the only thing I think that game could benefit from is slightly more accurate shadow shapes on the characters/enemies, as opposed to always being basic circles, but that's just being picky.

The rest of the game still looks awesome and in fact far more visually appealing than most modern games imo.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

AVP ate a lot of coins when I was younger. Truly Capcom is sitting on a gold mine of classic games in their CPS hardware range. But will they get the linceses to re-release them? I was happy they managed to make it so with "Dungeons & Dragons", so I keep hoping for ome "Area 88" // "UN Squadron" love along the way... and "Strider ]|[", of course.

megamanrulz14

megamanrulz14 said:

How about the 1990 Arcade hit from Japan, "NEMO"? It's based on the film "Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland" which was animated by Tokyo Movie Shinsha, and supposedly distributed by Toho Company in Japan in 1989, before making it's way to here, in North America, in 1992.

Rafie

Rafie said:

I have all of this on my CPS emulator, but I would definitely double dip being a huge fan of Capcom's classics from the 90's and early 00's. Can't front....Capcom was running things back then. LOL

@Rawk_Hawk I was thinking the same thing. Cadillac & Dinosaurs was AWESOME!!!! :D

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

Why do you only get to play as predator or marines in that alien game? That was always my complaint.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@shonenjump86 Oh yeah. Punisher and Nick Fury! That game was awesome. Wait..was it Nick Fury or Luke Cage. Welp, here I come Google.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, UN Squadron, Alien vs. Predator, Stirder... So many greats Capcom, that you used to make.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

Strider, Strider and uhhh... Oh, what the hell... how about Strider?

And for dessert: Final Fight, Punisher, Cs&Ds, Forgotten Worlds, King of Dragons, Willow, Magic Sword, 3 Wonders. I like dessert...

Azikira

Azikira said:

I thought you guys meant the Super Nintendo AVP, which is pretty awesome too.

Oh and I totally have a Celtic Predator mask and a Facehugger plushie, if anyone thinks they're a big fan. >:3

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

You'd realise that if Capcom was actually listening to fan demand they would have made a new Mega Man game by now.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

Dark Void Zero anyone? I know it's a fake retro game but it was epic!!!!

FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG said:

just give me Captain Commando for arcade or SNES on Wii U or 3dS Virtual console!!

Rell

Rell said:

Man oh Man I hope they do a remake for Goof Troop for the SNES that was one of my all time favorites!

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

Willow, while I'm sure a licensing challenge, would be awesome. I loved that movie. And I'll second a previous poster's call for Gun.Smoke. That game needs twin stick shooting, but keep the top-down perspective.

Reddaye

Reddaye said:

Yes please get AVP on consoles. I've wanted a home port of this since the fifth grade!