Miiverse to Arrive on 3DS "Within This Year"

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

3DS game communities will be included, of course

Earlier today Nintendo took the important step of launching a beta for a browser-based Miiverse service — you simply visit miiverse.nintendo.net on a smartphone, tablet or computer and you can browse the communities and "Yeah" posts, though you can't post your own comments yet.

Naturally we're left wondering about the other promised Miiverse platform, 3DS, and thankfully it's still very much on the agenda. In his presentation to shareholders following yesterday's financial report, Satoru Iwata has confirmed that Miiverse will arrive on the 3DS this year, while also emphasizing the important role the bespoke social network could play.

Miiverse has been received as one of the big features of Wii U. As we announced before, you will be able to view the content through your PC or smart device from today.

This is a web service on which you can experience Miiverse through your Internet browser. Currently, it is a beta version with content viewing only.

This web service will enable Wii U users to see the content of Miiverse on smartphones even outside the home. In addition, it will play an important role in having those who do not have Wii U understand the appeal of the platform through Miiverse. We would like to enrich the service incrementally.

We are also planning to make available a system update for Nintendo 3DS to allow its users to view and post content on Miiverse on the system within this year. This will facilitate user communication about Nintendo 3DS games and help users enjoy them more deeply. At the same time, the more people take advantage of Miiverse, the more deeply and correctly they will understand the charm of the other platform, Wii U.

As we reported in our financial results summary, Nintendo is emphasizing the role of Miiverse in the potential success of Wii U. Its inclusion on 3DS will be very welcome, and once the browser-based version is complete with posting rights, the social network could potentially gain a lot of momentum.

So, how much and how often do you think you'll visit Miiverse on your 3DS? Let us know in the comments below.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Sylvester

Sylvester said:

I like the idea! I think its a good way to see how other players think about a game. Hopefully it arives soon this year!!

atomicjuicer

atomicjuicer said:

As a non wii-u owner I don't really understand what mii verse actually is. I have a 3ds though so im mildly interested.

Digital-Deviant

Digital-Deviant said:

Can't wait, it should be a priority for Nintendo. I see see it being a great way to get 3DS owners to generate intest in WiiU titles and vice versa.

I can also see it being great for dual platform interactions...

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Great news :) Considering that some devs read what fans post on MiiVerse and are crafting patches with that feedback, its very important to have it on the 3DS as well.

Harrison_Peter

Harrison_Peter said:

The 3DS is extremely archaic with online features. Just simple things like chatting and adding friends are handled better by anyone else other than Nintendo. This would be a sign that Nintendo are trying to make the 3DS more social. For a WiFi-enabled gaming device, there's really no excuse.

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

For those who haven't yet experience MiiVerse...it's kind of hard to explain without actually trying it out yourself, but in some ways, think of it as a social network for gamers

IsawYoshi

IsawYoshi said:

It would be really cool if they managed to put it out before AC New Leaf comes out, but alas it doesn't look like it :(

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm sure to enjoy being able to use Miiverse on my laptop and home computer in the meantime. I just wonder if these 3DS game communities are going to be exclusive to the 3DS or available for all formats of Miiverse.

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

I honestly can't wait for the Miiverse just so we can post comments on the game communities and maybe get an Earthbound VC-esque response (I'd really like Majora's Mask for the 3DS, actually) from Nintendo. Same thing with Japanese titles that don't make it to the west. I can certainly see myself using it quite a bit.

iphys

iphys said:

Seems kind of strange that this didn't come to 3DS before WWW. I've heard even the Vita can access it now, but not the 3DS — how embarrassing.

Harrison_Peter

Harrison_Peter said:

@iphys The Vita has a fairly functional browser, so it's just accessing the website. Well, ok, it's actually a crap browser but better than what the 3DS has. But once the 3DS has Miiverse then it will be a lot more functional than just having access to the website.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

How often would I visit Miiverse? I'd end up spending more time on there than on the actual games. I'm glad they're still planning it for the 3DS.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

@atomicjuicer I also do not own a wii u, but I have a guess. There are a series of bubbles each with it's own picture in it. each bubble represents a discussion. Select one and you will be taken to a discussion where you can type or draw something about what the topic is based off of.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i hope we get it before the end of the year. even better would be before Pokemon X & Y come out.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yeah i tried the website and wow its about as good as using the wii u still some bugs and all like not being able to load the mii pics least for me but so far good now if my gamepad runs of battery i can let it charge while i use my pc :P

cant wait to see it on 3ds though just taking screenshots of your 3ds games is good enough and it will get more ppl to use miiverse that dont have wii u

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

Very excited. Of course this means you'll be able to create a Nintendo ID from your 3DS, right? Otherwise there wouldn't be no point.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@FernandoMachado

What he asked. I'll be excited for 3DS Miiverse if you can create an account on each 3DS - each of my kids has 1 but we still don't have a WiiU. If you still need a WiiU to create an account before using it on the 3DS then I'm much less excited and won't be using it.

Maybe somebody at NL can inquire about that?

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

This is great news! I have been eagerly waiting for the announcement of MiiVerse on the Nintendo 3DS for a long time. I wonder how the account system will work though.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I would've preferred within the week, but that's pretty unreasonable. It's also unreasonable for it not to come within the year, but hey, at least Nintendo sees that which is more than I can say about a lot of companies.

Jaco

Jaco said:

Hopefully the 3ds version is like the wiiu where you dont have to leave the game to post. Also does this mean 3ds will use Nintendo network id? I hope it cn be used to message friends quickly in game

Jaco

Jaco said:

@mumof2kids82
That would be killer! I know many people are getting a 3ds for those games and having miiverse just for those games would increase the social aspect

Emaan

Emaan said:

Can't wait for the 3DS Miiverse, it's good to see the network expanding.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

I honestly thought there was no way this could possibly be a thing. If the system can't suspend DSiware and oldDS games, how is it going to have the power to suspend AND interact with a whole new program? I'm still skeptical, I'm seeing it to be a thing where you can't have games suspended or post screenshots, but we'll see. Nintendo has surprised us before of their capabilities. by the way nintendo, PLEASE ADD AN SD CARD CHANNEL LIKE YOU DID WITH THE WII ONTO THE 3DS! so many of my dsiware games are stuck on my sd card in un-playable limbo

Volmun

Volmun said:

i hope thay let us do screen shots on the 3DS ver 8) - also i hope it runs like on the WiiU so you dont have to close the game to use it (like you do with Nintendo Leterbox / SwapNote)

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Personally, I plan on using it quite often for my 3ds. I almost want it more than some games as it seems like a good way to kill some time chatting about your favorite games.

McGruber

McGruber said:

Ugh, well if it is going to take until Dec 31st it BETTER have all of the functionality the WiiU version does, and then some. With such a great lineup for 3DS, it's a shame it's not out already. I honestly think Miiverse, along with some added online functionality will help sell BOTH systems, especially if they include ALL games in both Miiverses. Also, where is Hulu Plus and Youtube? You wouldn't think the system has been out for 2 years judging by its archaic online features...

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

Miiverse on 3ds would be amazing. but does that mean the whole friend code thing is gone? will our NNID's follow onto our 3ds?

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

Hmmm, this is certainly interesting... I, for one, would use MiiVerse alot of the time. The 3DS needs more social applications, too few games have voice-chat. The 3DS is already user-friendly, but with both MiiVerse and FlipNote Studios coming this year, it's bound to boom with user-generated content. I've optimistic, but also wary.

Cevan

Cevan said:

I don't have a Wii U yet, so I really hope the 3DS version lets you create a Nintendo Network account.