Diablo III May Not Be A Sony Exclusive After All

Posted by Andy Green

Blizzard appears to be considering its options

Diablo III was shown off this weekend at PAX East and up to now it had appeared that it was a Sony exclusive, given that it's only been announced for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

However, this may not actually be the case as in an interview with Penny Arcade Report, the game's lead designer Joshua Mosqueira clarified Diablo III might actually make it onto other systems as well.

We don't have any announcements to make at this time. But we're not necessarily a Sony exclusive.

Blizzard Entertainment's Chris Metzen announced back in February that the developer had entered into a "strategic partnership" with Sony to bring Diablo III to its home consoles, but it now seems likely that it will eventually be made available on other systems. Could it be feasible for it to make an appearance on Wii U? Only time will tell.

The action RPG has been out on PC since May 2012 and was an online-only experience. The console versions, however, will allow for offline play.

Would you like to see a Wii U adaptation of Diablo III? Let us know in the comments below.

[via penny-arcade.com, nintendoeverything.com]

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

I think it will be a great addition to the Wii U library but I won't be getting since I already have the pc version.

@spoonshiro and I hate seeing these comments. If someone wants to see it on the wii u (like me) the it means someone cares.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Oh, come on guys.

I think we're just starting to grasp as straws now, hoping that some of these big name third party games, any of these third party games, will eventually come to Wii U.

If this is coming to other consoles then the chances of it also being on Wii U, as opposed to only coming to PS3 and Xbox 360 (which seems to be the general trend with so many current-gen/next-gen games), is slim at best.

The Wii U just doesn't seem to be attracting the majority of third party support and most certainly not the games we'd all think should be on the system by default if they're also coming to current-gen systems like the PS3 and Xbox 360 anyway.

I'd love to see this game on Wii U too but I really wouldn't get anyone's hopes up here.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

Diablo would work and play much better on the Wii U game pad, than on the PS3 duel crap controller.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I'd rather play it on Wii U than PS3, but if it's only out for Sony after all I'll get it on PS3.

DePapier

DePapier said:

@spoonshiro I'm quite sure he has the right to be offended when it comes to a game he throughly like. Were I in the same situation, I too would have lost familiarity with this concept. ;)

Amigaengine

Amigaengine said:

Rather play Never Winter Nights............. again :)

Rather see more from Ubi Soft, Sega, Capcom, Square, Konami etc.

mch

mch said:

I'd be very interested! I never even played any game of the series, but I'd give it a try if it's released on the WiiU.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@spoonshiro
Your comment wasn't even a rhetorical question, unless you did an edit that changed it to what it is now.

Anyway, I think Xbox will have more potential than PS4 by the time it comes out since Wii U and PS4 are paving some ground in the industry as a whole before Xbox shows up. That benefits all the consoles.
There will be better or similar games for Xbox than Diablo III(like Fable), so I think it would be a waste of time honestly.

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

Why was anyone under the impression that this was a PS exclusive anyway?? In an interview with the lead developers right after the PS4 reveal, the interviewer asked them if this game would be on any other systems and they said something along the lines of "Today is Sony's day, so we will talk about other potential releases another time".

hydeks

hydeks said:

I could careless if it's exclusive, just happy it's coming to PS3 and PS4. As for this, I bet the next Xbox will get it, Wii U probably won't, Nintendo never seems to get these types of games, which is a real shame cause the gamepad you would think it to be perfect for this game.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

as long as it's a good old-fashioned solo mission like the previous diablo games when it shows up on WiiU, then ill be super happy.
i have no desire to pay blizzard eternally for warcraft-style online-only gaming. setup sucks and is just a money vacuum. i gave up on wanting to play diablo 3 when i heard that it joined the ranks of that stupid MMORPG bullploppy.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Of course its not a Sony exclusive its been out on PC for a year now. WHere have you all been?

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@Tasuki
Exactly.

I don't see why it wouldn't, unless there isn't any demand for it. It would actually make more sense to bring it to Wii U than PS3, IMO. It's gonna be a bummer if you can't cross platform play between PS3 and PS4. Online only might actually make Nintendo say no to this game anyway, unless it's download only which most likely implies you have internet.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I already played over 600 hours worth of this game on pc so I most likely won't be getting it again for a console. This is good for people who haven't experienced this game yet though.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

I guess it would be very nice to see thay on Wii U, the more the marrier plus it would be cool tue see what new possibilities are opened up with the tough screen.

defrb

defrb said:

@ NINTENBOY, yeah tough screen :D
I was a real addict for 7-8 months. It eat my social life, awesome game. You can play threw the whole game in 1 week. And after that you can farm the rest of your life. The fact that you can play solo on console version is quitte cool.
I liked d1 and d2 a lot better, money is the killer in 3.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

This game is so much worse than its predecessors, bring torchlight ii, way better game really. Diablo 3 has become call of duty.

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

Games like Torchlight would be nice on the Wii U. Not that expensive and fun to play. Perfect for the eShop.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

If it has solo missions I'd look at it but really the whole thing's null and void until something definite's announced anyway. Sounds like Sony may have a timed exclusive for the console edition so I guess we'll find out in around twelve months what Blizzard plan to do with it from there.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I've not played any Diablo before but I think the GamePad could work well to control the game so I may buy it if real.

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

Nobrainer to put it on the Wii U with the gamepad . It will surely play better than any traditional controller.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Sony at Meeting 2013: "This is coming exclusively on Sony home consoles PS3 and PS4."

Let developers talk next time.

sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373 said:

I think the Gamepad and PS4 touchpad will make the game easier to play on traditional consoles because they can bring proper mouse controls using these touch methods. However, I do not really think that any traditional console will work well for this game, even the touch enabled ones (though the game will work better on touch enabled systems). The touch controls still do not bring it close enough to a mouse and keyboard combo (which works very well for this type of game) and the Battle.net online play is missing which was a key part of the original. I do not think any traditional console will work for this game.

codiddy101

codiddy101 said:

it would be awesome on the wii u if u can use the wii remote plus and nunchuck to move around and point and click i think the wii mote and nunchuck combo would be closer to a mouse than a traditional controller.

TheAdrock

TheAdrock said:

If it were on Wii U I'd buy D3, but its not worth it to me to buy for Xbox and drag that POS console out of the closet. I hate using the Xbox.