Mario Golf: World Tour Tees Off On 3DS This Summer

Posted by Damien McFerran

Fore!

During today's Nintendo Direct presentations it was confirmed that a new Mario Golf game is coming to the 3DS this summer.

Mario Golf: World Tour is being developed by Camelot Software Planning and will feature a wide range of courses — including some inspired by the fantasy world Mario and his friends inhabit — as well as improved controls and some familiar game mechanics. You can also expect to see plenty of famous characters from the world of Nintendo, including Donkey Kong and Wario.

Will you be taking to the green with Mario this summer? Let us know by leaving a comment.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I hope this game is as fun as how Mario Tennis Open was. It's good to see a new sports game like Mario Golf: World Tour get announced for 3DS. I'm definitely gonna keep a sharp radar eye on this game. Please Nintendo, add online to this game.

efaulk84

efaulk84 said:

I am a tad surprised that we never saw a Mario Golf game on Wii. What with the motion controls it seems like the Wii would be a great system to put a Mario Golf game on. Even if it was a New Play Control Game.

jordanmarsden

jordanmarsden said:

Mario Golf and Mario Tennis have always been solid arcade sports games. Glad to see this making its way to 3DS.

Knux

Knux said:

Hopefully, this game will have more content than Mario Tennis Open.

Dambuster

Dambuster said:

This was a good Nintendo direct loads to look forward to, I love my vita, but sony need to do something special to better this line up!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I actually thought Mario Golf would come to the Wii U, but it’s still a new Mario Golf all the same, so I can’t complain. I just hope that this game will have a better presentation than Mario Tennis Open, which didn’t even have a opening introduction with Wario and Waluigi and hardly any cutscenes. The courses and characters look fantastic, though, especially that gigantic Goomba. Either that really is a gigantic Goomba or Luigi shrank and is playing on a truly miniature golf course.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Looks heaps fun! For some reason I couldn't get into Toadstool Tour but I absolutely loved Mario Golf on N64 (the music was especially phenomenal), can't wait to give this game a swing :D

Sun

Sun said:

Wii was the perfect console to have a Mario golf game and it didn't. Why? Nintendo makes no sense lately.

wariosmith

wariosmith said:

@sun completely agree
loved Mario Golf on gcube / GBA - the link between the games, RPG element on the handheld to level the character up... then stomp on the competitors!

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

Mario Golf 64 was one of my most played games, so I'm really looking forward to this one! Hopefully there are a lot of unlockable courses and characters.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Day one buy for me. Been far too long since the last. Can't believe we didn't get one for the Wii!?

Emaan

Emaan said:

New Mario Golf game! I've never played the series before, but it's definitely a welcome return.

DeepFried35

DeepFried35 said:

Maybe EA decided to forgo the Wii U with the next Tiger Woods instalment because they are aware of Nintendo working on Mario Gold for the Wii U using the ideas from their E3 presentation in 2011?

The fact that Mario Gold 3D was just announced makes me think that they're also working on Wii U versions and possibly Mario Tennis as well.

elekid

elekid said:

I've wanted a new Mario Golf game for years, it has always been my favourite Mario sports series. Lots of great news in this Nintendo Direct :)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Best announcement from the show for me personally, at least in terms of games we didn't know about.

Dude_McGrude

Dude_McGrude said:

I really hope this game is more like the 64 version than any others. I wasnt a huge fan of the GC version.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

really hope this game has lots of modes, and i hope they don't do what they did with mario tennis open; make the music on every course different EVEN on tournament mode a bit more like mario slam basketball for ds which is probably my favourite mario sports game

Windy

Windy said:

If this game has Online Play its going to own my life also! :) Mario Golf is a perfect Candidate for this Robust online gameplay You spoke of Reggie **lookin at Reggie**

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Would've much preferred a wii u version, but this will do nicely. I don't recall playing the GC version but have played the 64 version. That was good, but I struggled to get into it TBH. Will still give this a go, however :)

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

This is great, but... It seems all Nintendo announces nowadays are Mario games... What about Starfox? F-Zero? Other franchises? Ugh.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Another insta-buy for me! I absolutely got hooked on toadstool tournament on the Game Cube w/ my buddies.

WildMan

WildMan said:

Insta download for me, assuming it's available for download, which I'm sure it is! I loved Toadstool Tour on the Gamecube!

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Incredibly excited about this one. I've been waiting for a new Mario Golf for a long time. I was hoping they'd release one on the Wii, but that never happened. I bet the 3D will look amazing in this one, I'm honestly ecstatic.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Keep your excitement in check, guys! It might be fun, but at the same time a dumped down affair like Mario tennis open! Don't expect to much firework!!

Cranky

Cranky said:

Yep, really looking forward to this, I loved Mario Golf 64, but it will have to be a hell of a game to beat Everybody's Golf on the vita, that game is fantastic.

ReaperX30

ReaperX30 said:

Getting Etrian Odyssey IV, Monster Hunter, Castlevania, Animal Crossing and then this.....Man this is an awesome year for the 3DS. I've been waiting for a Mario Golf game since the system launched so this is really great news for me.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@Intrepid: Exactly, but like others here, I too feel this will be rushed.

If Nintendo fails to make this (like) a gameplay/modes/story/characters/etc. sequel to the N64/GBC, & GCN/GBA Mario Golf games, then count me out, unless the game bears any redeeming qualities.

Personally, my own gripes would be that the game needs an rpg/create-a-character mode(Miis just don't cut it, alone), & one fleshed-out. I imagine Nintendo would use the excuse of time constraints, or not being able to fit an decently fleshed out extra-mode(create-a -character/rpg), alongside a game holding another fleshed out sports sim.

I'll prepare my wallet, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I think Nintendo is done w/ interlocking/connectivity games, even if both modes can co-exist on the same game card/cart. This for me, makes me believe that there is a strong chance that one of the versions of Smash will get canned/cancelled.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Definitely want this. I loved Mario Golf 64, and then Toadstool Tour, many happy hours spent playing those. Wasn't so keen on Wii Love Golf, also by Camelot, which felt like a dumbed down version of TT. Hope World Tour is a return to form.

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 Woohoo! Hope it has online play so we can hookup and play :) Oh BTW I just picked up Shining Force for the GBA thought you might like that. I've been lookin up GBA games lately to play on my SP such a nice screen. I'm lookin to get a Castlevania GBA version. Last night we had a house full for a Bomberman 94 PCE tournament and some grilling was a great time

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 You don't happen to have "We Love Golf" on wii do you? It has online play and would be awesome to hookup with somebody. The game is made by Capcom you can open some of the street fighter Characters or make your own character to play with. It's a gamestop cheepy these days usually around 5 bucks and a deal and a half good game. Let me know I will play with you. In fact We Love Golf is made by Camelot the same company in Charge of making this game :)

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Windy: I have Shining Force on GBA. Haven't played it much, but I grabbed it from Gamestop a while back because it looked cool. Check out this site for a complete list of all games for the Nintendo consoles and handhelds: www.nintendoage.com/ index.cfm I have looked up and bought so many interesting titles, imports and all. I have 349 GBA games, not to mention all the GB, GBC(black), & GBC(clear) games I own. I don't have We Love Golf on the Wii. I will look it up though. I see you changed your avatar:) I'd love to upload my 3DS Mii onto here as mine. How do I do that?

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 I think you can take a picture of your Mii using your 3DS camera. then upload it to a PC. If you have photoshop or even a program like pixia which is a free download you can edit it into a 100x100 avatar to use here. once you get the picture uploaded to a PC go to Edit profile then Browse for avatar. I will give it try tonight after work. You can basically use any picture you like :) As long as its tasteful here. I like my old man Bomberman :) Let me know if you get We Love Golf would love to get in some rounds