Rumour: Flashback Remake Coming To Wii U eShop

Posted by Damien McFerran

1992 classic is getting a lick of paint

French action platformer Flashback is being remade for modern consoles, and rumour has it that a Wii U eShop edition is also on the cards.

Originally developed for the Commodore Amiga by Delphine Software in 1992, the game combined 3D visuals with 2D platforming and quickly gained a cult following. Console conversions for the Sega Mega Drive and SNES followed the year after, adding more fans to the ranks.

The remake - entitled Flashback Origins - is being handled by VectorCell, the studio established by Paul Cuisset - who created the original during his time with Delphine. Delphine itself succumbed to bankruptcy in 2004.

Aside from a single screenshot, there's nothing else to go on at the moment. Ubisoft is apparently handling the publishing duties, but when contacted by Spong, the company declined to comment.

Are you a fan of the original game? What are your thoughts on it being remade? Leave a comment to let us know.

[via spong.com, gonintendo.com]

Nintex

Nintex said:

Well this is definitely surprising. As a big fan of the original I am shocked that this game would receive a remake considering the original was a niche title that didn't do very well. I will gladly buy this if it comes to the e-Shop.

pinta_vodki

pinta_vodki said:

Whoa, that was unexpected. But a really nice surprise.

I remember when my friend had a floppy with Flashback disk simply labelled Prince 3, so we always assumed this was somehow a sequel to the Prince of Persia series. =D

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Such awesome memories playing this to completion on the Commodore Amiga. Hope they make this good!

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

I still have it and play if for my Sega CD. I hope it is not a straight re-make but a sequel or a prequel.

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

madgear

madgear said:

@Nintex Nah Flashback was a huge seller - especially on the Megadrive. The Amiga version got a great run too. I've always loved the game but I'll have to see more of this first. I prefer these games to retain their single screen layout as opposed to scrolling as they often too with updates in this genre so we'll have to see. Has me interested, though.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Well excited about this Flashback was an awesome Snes (and MegaDrive) game,
bring it one

SPEtheridge

SPEtheridge said:

Ah nice, loved the SNES version might give this a look in, loved the music in this game.

MKCustodial

MKCustodial said:

I had it on the Mega Drive and now own it on my iPhone... and would gladly get it on the Wii U. But that screenshot looks like a big departure from the original.

NImH

NImH said:

@Nintex High 5! I love Flashback, but always kinda felt alone... It can be brutal, but the atmosphere and 90's sci-fi vibe is priceless. I cannot wait for this... AAARRRGH! NINTENDO IS GOING TO SEND ME TO THE POORHOUSE!

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

This game was cool for Sega Genesis. For sure buy for me. I like games like this alot, where they apply realistic limitations and animations to the characters. This game was pretty much lika a movie in the original versions.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I will only buy this if it's for Wii U BTW. I have PS3, too, but I kinda want games for my Wii U right now.

Ras

Ras said:

JogurtTheYogurt said: heart of the alien would be nice .. lol i doubt anyone heard of that. Its the unofficial sequel to out of this world

I've heard of it. I always wanted it, but I didn't have a Sega CD.

Budsanchez

Budsanchez said:

Surprising announcement, that's for sure. The original stands among my favorite games of all time, so I'm curious to see if this remake respects it...

AhabSpampurse

AhabSpampurse said:

Ever since playing the iOS release of Another World I've been pining for this game; I've still got my SNES cart. This is great news for me, hopefully they won't fudge it up.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

@Scarhino89

It's already been remade!

As for Flashback, great news if it's true, but I hope it's more than just remade graphics. I have nothing against the original graphics, to begin with.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

I don't remember Flashback but the art style kind of reminds me of Another World, which I did enjoy at the time.

madgear

madgear said:

Haha yeah Another World has been remade twice. Once for its 15th anniversary and again for its 20th. Both have the same excellent, redrawn backgrounds and look beautiful but support some great high resolutions.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I loved the art style of the game back in the day, though I was never any good at the actual game. This would be a definite purchase from the eShop for me though.

Bejeeta

Bejeeta said:

One of the best games ever made, I also hope to see it on 3DS: instant buy.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I must have played through this game about 12 times on my SNES. Hopefully it comes to Wii U.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I forgot I never beat Flashback or Out of this World... crap, or Blackthorne. Man, I got me some nostalgia to catch up on...

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

I would be interested to see how the Flashback update turns out. I never got round to trying out Flashback when it was originally out, mainly because I didn't like Another World. I had AW on Amiga - it was a very nice looking game but i found it boring and frustrating to play. I did like other games from Delphine - Cruise for a Corpse and Operation Stealth were both fantastic, albeit very different styles of game to Flashback and Another World.

antonvaltaz

antonvaltaz said:

Wow, the original was one of my all-time favourite Amiga games. This would be a major reason to upgrade to Wii U for me...

Sean8342

Sean8342 said:

This is good news i remember flashback from when i had my Amiga 1200 it would be nice to see more old games remade like the original dune i played beat that game like 6 times. I think sometimes games companies need to look back to go forward as a lot of newer titles of late seem to have lost something under all the shiny graphic's e.g. immersive story lines and gameplay.