Wii U And 3DS Firmware Updates Go Live

Posted by Damien McFerran

"Further improvements to overall system stability"

Nintendo has pushed out firmware updates to its Wii U and 3DS consoles. In the case of both updates, Nintendo states that they offer "further improvements to overall system stability".

This is the second update for the Wii U, following the 1GB install which occurs when new systems are switched on and connected to the internet for the first time. Apparently, this latest update is around 500MB in size. It took just under an hour to download and install on our Wii U, but you might find that figure is different for you.

We've downloaded and installed both updates ourselves and haven't noticed any changes so far. Perhaps the update is laying the groundwork for something big in today's Nintendo Direct presentations? Or maybe it just solves the annoying Wii U freezing problem many users have experienced? We'll soon find out.

[via eurogamer.net]

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

i noticed that the (Euro) eShop was down last night as well. Probably for the same reason

HillKrowns

HillKrowns said:

I haven't noticed any changes at all, like you've said probably just a freeze fix maybe groundwork but not likely.

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I noticed the 3DS eShop was in maintenance for a few hours and then... a really short update when I connected. I'll have to D/L the Wii U update tomorrow and see if it helps with the freezing (I've only had it happen a couple times) and slow-ish OS load times.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I would expect that the 3DS firmware update may have some interesting background work in line for an infrastructure change.

If Miiverse were to arrive on the 3DS along with Nintendo Network IDs that would be fantastic. Incidentally I'd also like for a way to share screenshots.

Reef7009

Reef7009 said:

Only thing ive noticed is the menu , connecting to miiverse seems a bit quicker. Hope its fixed the freeze issue

snax007

snax007 said:

I can confirm the update fixes some internet connection isses. I no longer need to have my IP and DSN set manually to be able to connect.
Menus are also loading faster now. Wiiverse still take to long to load (12-14 seconds). Friends list and web browser are both loading much much faster, and returning to main menu/dash is almost instantaneous now.

aris77

aris77 said:

maybe i'm making a very dumb comment, but for the 3ds the firmware went from 4.4.10 to 4.5.10. if it were just a small incremental update regarding flashcard etc. wouldn't it just go to 4.4.11??? just wondering....

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I updated my Wii U earlier tonight, then the console froze right after the update! It wasnt responding at all, I had to unplug it from the wall. Needless to say I was terrified doing so, as I dont want a brick U. But it was all good thankfully:)

Nntndo_1986

Nntndo_1986 said:

My Wii u bricked last night :(
Got home played about an hour of ACIII then kids wanted to play some ZombiiU. So got back to Wii u menu ejected disc put in ZU and then saw mini verse flash as new notifications came in so instead of playing game like kids asked I wanted to see what was up in miiverse ( silly father liking these new social features lol) and bam froze up. Initially I figured hmm this is taking a while but I stood there 10 mins waiting on the splash screen of miiverse and nothing. Finally figured well at least it's not an update so tried to power down with power and nothing so then went to power supply. Plugged back in turned on power 2 sec blue then a flash another sec of blue and then red. So Xbox has RRoD I still need to come up with what I fear many people already have with their Wii u :-( BBthenR ....
Anyway nintendo support keeps you online asking if you have an older sensor bar before buying Wii u and whether cables were right length for everything that came with Wii u. I was like wtf..... But alas I picked up 2 Wii u. Although zombie u now struck in the one I have send back for repair.... As Colbert would say MIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEERRRRRSSEEEE in his raspy voice :-(

rjejr

rjejr said:

Is the slow download the Nintendo servers or the wireless? Has anybody tried the Wii USB dongle to connect the Wii U? Are those big game DLs as slow as these updates? It takes 10 minutes per GB DL on my PS3, install times are quick enough I've never measured.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Download took 15 minutes, now everything runs faster, high fives all around. Can we move on to the Direct Broadcast now?

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@Nntendo_1986 That's what you get for letting your kids play Zombi U, I suppose :P In all seriousness though, these stories I'm hearing about people's Wii U's bricking are starting to worry me now. For the record, I downloaded and installed the update last night, my Wii U still works....for now...

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@RupeeClock The Japanese Nintendo site has also seen a few changes, especially in the layout of how 3DS VC and download software games are shown.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I hope this makes the load times faster, and I hope my internet will connect better now. :O

ReindeerDasher

ReindeerDasher said:

Is this the update that took me about 10 seconds to download on my 3DS? I woke up, opened my 3DS, and there was the system update thing.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

I've already updated my wii U and it didn't take half an hour to finish.
But I gotta say that as some of you said above, I'm also fearing the freezing screens, since mine already freezed 2 times and I had to unplug the console.
Let's hope that this update solves this!

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

i have yet to purchase a wii U. i was planning on doing so sometime in 2013, after more games I want are out. Thing is, this is really the first time a Nintendo console has had major problems such as freezing and bricking. My gamecube back in the day sometimes froze on my but usually it was the disc's fault, and would be fixed by the good ol' "Reset" button (how i miss those!).
I suppose as the technology gets more complicated and advanced more problems can come along with it. My only issue with this is that the tech inside the Wii U isn't all that new, and isn't all that complicated compared to what has been on the market for a bunch of years now. So for me, there is really no excuse that these systems should be experience freezing and bricking, blue/blue/red screens of death or anything of the sort.
I know it's Nintendo's first foray into more advanced systems, but still, I can't help but be a little disappointed about what I'm hearing.
That being said Nintendo has always had the best customer service and being a video game company first and foremost, this is their only focus. So from the looks of things they are trying to take care of any issues customers are reporting with updates and thats reassuring.
Hopefully by the time I pick up my Wii U there won't be anything to worry about.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I downloaded the 3DS and Wii U updates last night. I'm not sure what they were for, but hopefullly the systems will be even better.

Molotov

Molotov said:

@aris77
Nah Its Not Dumb. The Reason It Went To That Number Is Because Nintendo Felt That The Update Was More Significantly Important Than An Update That Would Go The Number You Suggested.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

I must be (one of) the only Wii U owner that hasn't been bricked, hasn't had freezes, hasn't had any lag and hasn't had any framerate issues. Gamepad is fine, no delays, highly responsive and the battery is ok. My Wii U sits on its side, humming softly. I've not a single issue with it. ;)

Shane904

Shane904 said:

Random 3DS Update for System Stability? That's Nintendo-speak for flashcart blocking @_@

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@Michael101 Please use better grammar.
Anyway, the Wii U update fixes freezing, and I'm assuming that the 3DS update fixes minor bugs, and also keeps people from using flashcards.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

Apparently the system update downloads itself in the background if you are playing a game when it is announced. When I finished playing zombieU I returned to the wiiumenu, as it loaded it said "a bew update has been downloaded, please install" and then it only has an OK button so you have no choice!

ElMastero

ElMastero said:

The Wii U is a X-Mas gift for the family. I had wifi issues after installing the first update, which I hopefully fixed by putting the settings in manually (with the help of a great Nintendo Rep). So I haven't played any games on it. Which means I have yet to experience any freezing issues. So I hope that by installing this latest update, the Wii U will be problem free just in time for X-Mas.