Feature: 10 Essential Games For Your New Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Got a new system this Christmas? Try these must-have titles

Assuming you've been very good this year, many of you will have been blessed with shiny new Wii U consoles today. There's only one thing better than finding a new gaming system under your Christmas tree, and that's actually playing on it - and we guessed you may be in need of some solid recommendations on what titles to pick up. Here are the 10 Wii U titles you should try as hard as possible to get your hands on.

Simply click on the images to visit our game pages, where you'll find plenty of information and reviews.

New Super Mario Bros. U

ZombiU

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Assassin's Creed III

Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Darksiders II

Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition

Nintendo Land

Chasing Aurora

These are just ten suggestions, but there are some other excellent titles available on the young system, so share your thoughts below.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I've got them all except the digital ones, I know I'm missing out, but I got so muchto play as is... best console lineup release ever! Merry Xmas!

GuardianKing

GuardianKing said:

That's a big part of, if not most of the non-shovelware games on the Wii U right now. Shouldn't we wait before we make a Top X games on Wii U?

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

A Big fat thuper thilly' pass for me in regards to Assasins Creed, Batman, Darksiders and Chasing Aurora. Not to sure abour double 'HD' dipping with Mighty Switch Force either...As for Sonic Team Racing, I need to try out a demo before i drop the Koopa coins. Little Inferno and Trine II will be next in line as far as WiiUWare goes. Too bad Toki Tori 2 got delayed. I like them Chickens 'n puzzles. durp!

Already have NSMB.U, Nintendo Land, ZombiU(haven't played any of them yet) and plan on snaging Tekken Tag 2 down the yellow brick road. The Tin man would approve! B-)

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Nano Assualt Neo is an awesome shoot 'm up at a bargain price.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

We will be waiting for some time for a better list, however, there are some awesome games in that top ten. Can't get enough of Sonic Transformed myself.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I'd replace Chasing Aurora with Little Inferno, but that's it. I'd want to sneak in Ninja Gaiden and Warriors Orochi, of course, but I can't think of what to replace them with. Good list all around.

ueI

ueI said:

What a coincidence! Every game I want when I eventually get a WiiU is on this list. Some of my backup games are missing, though.

Terrible_Majesty

Terrible_Majesty said:

1 nsmbu
2 zombiu
3 ninja gaiden 3
4 nano assault neo
5 trine 2
6 cod blops2
7 little inferno
8 assassins creed 3
9 batman
10 Nintendo land

TobieOBrown

TobieOBrown said:

@WaveBoy Sonic Racing surpassed all my expectations. It's actually a really solid game and - aside from Nintendo Land - the best multiplayer experience on Wii U.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I got Nintendo Land, Arkham City, ZombiU and New SMB. U.
Nintendo Land served well as an introductory game and it's a great party game!
I haven't got into Batman yet, but ZombiU has gotten some serious play time lately! I'm loving it! It's a solid 8/10 game with some issues, but the suspense and survival horror was great on the first run. You know, the fear of the unknown. ;)
I just got Mario for Christmas! It's a great platformer, just what I needed right now.

Should I get Sonic Racing? You guys seem to be liking it. I am a Mario kart fan, but I feel like I would like to test it before buying, which is not possible since there's no demo in Europe.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Very, very sound choice all things considered. Catering for very wide audience there. I'd add Little Inferno to that, but it may be considered a bit too niche (?) Tank Tank Tank is good with kids.

andregurov

andregurov said:

@Mk_II Indeed - one of the most pleasant surprises of my entire gaming year! Well worth the price (at 1/6th of retail releases) and a particular highlight of the Wii U's capabilities ...

odd69

odd69 said:

i got my Wii U yesterday, After work, Im really going to start trying it out! Got zombi U and Mario Bros and Nintendoland

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

I beat Little Inferno last night, and have decided it should be required playing for anyone who considers him or herself a gamer. So yeah, I'd add it to the list.

mozie

mozie said:

Why no love for ME3 here on nintendolife, should defo be on this list instead on Batman and a couple of others!

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

I have New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, Assassin's Creed 3, ZombiU, Nano Assault Neo, and Little Inferno. Very impressed with all of them so far. A great start for a great system.

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

I played a bit of Ninja Gaiden at the release and that game was pure, sweet eye candy. I plan to get it alongaide wirh NSMBU, NintendoLand, ZombiU, Batman and Assassin's Creed. By the time I finish them, There'll be something new to pick up :D

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I already got Tekken Tag 2 on 360 so I'm good with that. Got Nintendo Land with the system and NSMBU as a gift. The rest I have to think about.

shinokami

shinokami said:

I only consider 5 out of this games essential plus I consider Ninja Gaiden Razord's Edge better than Assassins Creed III

Sun

Sun said:

Wii U still does not have 10 essential games even though with the PS3-Xbox 360 ports. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is possibly the greatest surprise of the lineup.

gazamataz

gazamataz said:

@mudjo i can't rememer the ins and outs of it but there is a very helpful guide on ign.i've got virgin media and had a very hard time getting online.tap in your search engine getting your wii u online and scroll down to advance settings and so long as you have a computer with windows on it.it will tell you what to do.good luck.:)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I already have 3 of those (Mario, NintendoLand and Tekken), but the bad part is that I won't be receiving the system until Jan. 4th or so. So it sucks to have Mario's box staring at me in its wrap.

Still hesitant about Zombi U and specially the multiplatform games, since I also have a PS3. Tekken was a no brainer on Wii U because of the extra features, but the other ports do not look as promising.

MarioKenny1992

MarioKenny1992 said:

I just have Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U so far. I wanna get Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed as well, either for the Wii U or PS3 because I heard the Wii U version has some glitches. Is it worth getting it for the Wii U?

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

@MarioKenny1992
Based on what I've read on various forums/articles they now have a update patch you can download that fixes these issues on the Wii U version. So I would say 'yes' it's probably worth buying for the Wii U now.

Tomatoboxer

Tomatoboxer said:

We are able to argue about the best games for a system that has only been out for a month. That makes me happy.

ToxorAxiom

ToxorAxiom said:

Chasing Aurora shouldn't be on this list. Not when there's barely an hour's worth of content and the retail price is a ripping $15.

Schprocket

Schprocket said:

Top 10's will always attract some controversy, IMO.
When I read the list, there was at least three games which I disagreed with straight out but thought I'd come back later and comment.
Whilst playing one the games that I like which didn't make the list, I then realised it was because I'm not a fan of the genres represented by those three games in the slightest.
So in the end I figured your list should either have been bigger, or should have contained the top 5 to avoid :)

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I'd swap Batman for Black Ops 2. Unlike the ps3 version which always crashes my console, Ive actually been able to play through the single player campaign!
And the multiplayer is rock solid, especially with one person on the gamepad & the other with the tv. Love that feature!

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

My launch line-up is NintendoLand, NSMBU, Mass Effect 3, and ZOMBIU. Still have not played my copy of ZOMBIU. In my opinion MASS EFFECT 3 is amazing.

Ras

Ras said:

I've had the Wii U and NSMBWU since NA launch, and I'm still playing. I'm probably slower than average, but it's a big game. I got some eShop cards for Christmas and am downloading ZombiU

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Waveboy: There is a demo available for Sonic racing.

So far the only game I have played is Nintendoland and I definitely recommend it. If you didnt get the Deluxe set than you are missing out on a great game.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I think that games like Trine 2, Nano Assault Neo, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Ninja Gaiden 3, Black Ops 2 and Mass Effect 3 could/should have made the list.

plasticc

plasticc said:

@MeowGravy
I fully agree. Haven't played a Call of Duty game in a while and Black Ops 2 surprised me with a ton of features I hadn't expected. Like local play versus bots and a cooperative mode against zombies. It even was patched to improve the wiimote controls.

eirikr

eirikr said:

I am not very sure about Chasing Aurora... Where is Scribblenauts???????

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Neat suggestions. So far I have Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Scribblenauts Unlimited, Trine 2, and Nano Assault Neo are the only real gems missing.

Sonic Racing should be played by everyone, though.

MarioKenny1992

MarioKenny1992 said:

I'll download the Sonic racing demo later on, as well as the Rayman Legends demo if it's still available

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

Seems like a nice recommendations list. I personally would add Scribblenauts myself. It's so much fun if you've got immagination and wacky brothers.

Crocodilo

Crocodilo said:

Well, i have been playing Fifa13 since chritmas, and that's cool. Very cool.
I downloaded Trine 2 (not tried). I am surprise it is not on the lost !

mozie

mozie said:

Have to reiterate on ME3 again! seriously no.1 game for wii u even if you haven't played the previous titles.

dananlau

dananlau said:

Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros U
Mass Effect 3
Zombie U
Sonic Racing
... Enjoying every one (and Miiverse!!)