Prize Awarded To Brave Knight Who Completed Ghosts 'n Goblins On 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

Capcom gave a Halloween challenge

Capcom's Ghosts 'n Goblins hits the North American 3DS eShop this week, and it's sure to have many gamers throwing their consoles at walls in disgust - not because it's a bad game (far from it) but because it's harder than Arnold Schwarzenegger in a suit of titanium armour.

So legendary is this game's toughness that Capcom Unity offered a prize (some cool Capcom-themed shotglasses) to anyone who beat the game before Halloween.

Here's what it said:

As you likely know, GnG is not a forgiving series, and I'd wager the NES version is one of the hardest out there. I can handle Genesis Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and hold my own in Super GnG, but hoo boy the NES one really whips me. And so... if you can beat the 3DS one, I'll send the first person who can post visual evidence these awesome Capcom shotglasses!

Here's the deal - take a picture of you and the 3DS with the ending screen clearly visible. Now, I mean the real ending, from the second playthrough! First person to post that image in the comments below, gets the shotglasses! (NA only, postage and rules etc :/)

You have from now until Halloween to save Princess Prin Prin!

And here's the prize, just to show you what was on offer:

Despite being a pretty difficult challenge, it seems as if the prize — and an extra set that was found — was already won by a ninja gamer with no shortage of free time. When there's a set of drinking glasses on the table, it seems gamers don't hang around.

[via gonintendo.com, capcom-unity.com]

KneehighPark

KneehighPark said:

Stressful hard. Not taking into account the sheer level of difficulty, you have to beat the game TWICE in order to "really" beat it.

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

I wonder if I would of been able to finish it. Though I have no money on my 3DS right now... Gulp... I just thought of crashmo. -_-

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

I never even came through the first level on the snes version. It's one of the only games that I keep playing, even when i've never seen the second level. I suck at this game..

I'm gonna try one more time today.
BRING IT UP ZOMBIES!!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I never even cleared the second level. It feels like Satan made this game rather than Capcom because the game is super hard, even harder than Super Ghouls N' Ghosts! You can't do a double-jump, there are a lot more red arremers, and the variety of weapons is simpler. It's good to have difficult gameplay now and then, but sometimes it can be too much.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Pretty neat contest with some sweet shot glass prizes... but the blood pressure increase and contributions to the swear jar just might be too much to try my luck.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I've tried over the years to beat various versions, most recently the arcade original via a Capcom PS2 compilation, but it always ends in tears by level 3 or so after hundreds of tries...

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Umm..... As difficult as the game is, restore points make everything ten times easier. So completing this challenge on the 3DS version isn't actually too hard. They know this, right?

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

@GeminiSaint: While that also were my thoughts at first, it's about the first person who beats it. (Sounds a bit different to me in the second paragraph, @Damo . :o )So basically the person who uses restore points the least would be the first to complete the challenge, no?

allav866

allav866 said:

AVGN: "It's Halloween. There's no excuse. I can feel it in the air... The time is right to play some Ghosts N' Goblins"
Apparently Nintendo agreed with him and popped this f***er into the eShop two days after his review.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Cool prize, worth the frustration. Unless you post the picture online to realised someone ninja'd you seconds before. Ooohh that'd hurt.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

Oh wow. Playing Ghosts 'N Goblins twice to earn some CAPCOM themed shotglasses. Just like how @GeminiSaint mentioned earlier. With the addition of having Restore Points in the game helping you out, it's only a matter of who will complete the game first. And as LETHAL as Ghosts 'N Goblins is, good luck, you'll need lots of patience first.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Damn. I wish I had money to buy the game, because I would try to win those shot glasses. My cousin had this game, and I admit, it was harder than I expected, but not hard as alot of people say. I beat like the third level, and then quit, but it was because I had to leave, and I was playing with an infared NES controller(official). As you might know, those aren't very effective in playing NES games(they suck kinda). Anyway, I'm sure someone has already done it, and either hasn't read this yet, or just beat it twice a second ago because they read this, and I already lost. Plus I don't have eShop money. I'm not saying I'm a big shot, but I don't really get pissed off at games, AND GnG isn't THAT hard. I played not long ago. It just takes patience, and don't rush, otherwise you wil lose.

Omega

Omega said:

Oh, come on Capcom. With savestates this game is easy like fishing in a barrel. They should have made this contest for the Wii. And for the arcade version, not the crappy NES one.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

"it's harder than Arnold Schwarzenegger in a suit of titanium armour" ouch, must send emails containing better metaphors

mr_nihilism

mr_nihilism said:

Never could complete the second level. I wonder if it was the intention of the developers for players to never finish, let alone see most of the game because it's just too friggin difficult.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is among the easiest (if not the easiest) in the series, but one of my best gaming moments was beating it on the hardest difficulty. The original Ghosts 'n Goblins is a game I have yet to beat, I regret to say.

accc

accc said:

Beating it on the 3DS VC shouldn't really be too difficult, considering you can (ab)use save states.

I beat Super G&G on the Wii Virtual Console which doesn't have save states. Now THAT's an accomplishment!

Voodoo

Voodoo said:

This contest is way too easy... For a fee... I'll supply you with the photo of the winning screenshot but i'll need your pic to put it in there... Photoshop is wonderful!!!

brooks83

brooks83 said:

I've managed to beat the arcade version of Ghosts n Goblins and Super Ghouls n Ghosts (both on VC). I've downloaded the Genesis version of Ghouls n Ghosts but I have yet to play it.

Omega

Omega said:

^ Congrats. If you have beaten the arcade version then nothing can stop you. Referring to Ghouls'n Ghosts: The Genesis version is a completely different game and in my opinion much easier than the SNES version because you have unlimited continues. (Even after continuing you start at the last checkpoint. And if you die in a boss battle you start again at the boss.)

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I've also beaten the Arcade version 'once' and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the SNES. Yay me, :p

Omega

Omega said:

^ Wow. Another pro gamer here. Now on to the Genesis version. It is really worth the extra 800 Points. It's not the same game as the SNES version. Super GnG on the SNES is like a Ghouls'n Ghosts II (Only the first graveyard level looks similar but even that changes halfway through.) The Genesis port is like the arcade version of Ghouls'n Ghosts. And, like I mentioned above, the Genesis version is IMO clearly the easiest of the three. So nothing to fear of. :-)

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@Omega
You want to take it a step further? Try and beat Adventure Island on the NES. Of course using the infinite lives code, considering it's 'impossible' to beat it with 1-3 lives. I found it harder the Ghosts 'n Goblins, the same could be said for Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom in spots. :p And then there's Double Dragon tee hee. 'Amagon' I here is also one of the most deadliest.

Omega

Omega said:

^ Oh dear. I don't know if i'm ready for this. Maybe I need a drink first.