3DS Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Won't Be Venturing Online

Posted by Damien McFerran

Online play isn't going to feature in handheld instalment

Capcom has confirmed that the 3DS version of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate won't have online play. Such functionality will instead be exclusive to the Wii U edition of the game.

Speaking to ONM, Capcom's Yuri Araujo confirmed that there were "no plans" to bring online play to Nintendo's portable system.

Capcom has also confirmed that the Wii U version will utilise Nintendo's own servers for its online mode.

Will this influence your purchasing decision? Will you now pick the Wii U version over the 3DS one, or are you more interested in teaming up with your close friends rather than strangers online? Sound off in the comments section, as always.

[via vg247.com, officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

Related Games

BenAV

BenAV said:

I expected as much.
I'm fine with that... I'm planning to get both the 3DS and Wii U version so I'll just play online on my TV (with USB Keyboard, hooray!) while at home and then when I go out I'll just transfer it to my 3DS and off I go.
Cannot wait!

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I can't say this is the worst thing, it's more about the console experience than the handheld one here.

I don't think the use of Nintendo's own servers will be a bad thing either.

Leon_Pryde

Leon_Pryde said:

I'm glad that the WiiU will. Although, I am a bit disappointed that the 3ds won't. I guess I'll need to save up for both.

cammy

cammy said:

Do you have to buy both the 3DS version of the Wii U version separately? This could influence me a lot. :(

Aviator

Aviator said:

I'm hoping that by using Nintendo's servers it allows for cross-region stuff.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

What I don't understand is that RE:Revelations used a robust online mode, so why can't MH3?

EvilLucario

EvilLucario said:

...Because this is Monster Hunter Tri G.

You wanted Tri G localized, you've got it. Enjoy. :D

Zyph

Zyph said:

The purpose of handheld MonHun games in general is to form communities or groups and play with others locally. Hunting and doing quests with friends or strangers. So having no online capabilities is cool in it's own right. Same with Portable 3rd/HDver. and even E.X. Troopers PS3DS. These types of games fit those scenarios and games like RE: Revelations, IMO, does not give the same experience as it does with Monster Hunter.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

It most certainly will impact my decision about purchasing this game. A non-online portable Monster Hunter might work in Japan, but History has proven that Western gamers prefer to play games online. I had so much fun online with Monster Hunter Tri. Personally, I think it's a great shame that this version will not support what is at this point a basic feature for a multiplayer game.

Windy

Windy said:

I probably wont get the game then. I love the online games :) Im not getting a wii-U at the current prices so more then likely I will miss this one. Hope they dont shut down the servers anytime soon on Monster hunter Tri

Popyman

Popyman said:

I'm cool with this. I'll get the 3DS version first and then when I get a Wii U I'll get that one and have online. :D I'm glad you can transfer the saves between the two, if you couldn't that would have been a deal breaker for the 3DS one.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Capcom staff have requested that people interested in having online with the 3DS release post in their forums. Will it make a difference? Likely not... but if enough fan interest is shown then adding online modes will at least be discussed. It certainly doesn't hurt to show interest if it's something you care about.

Edit: Eep... better ignore that thread. One of the Capcom developers for the 3DS release really did ask fans of the series who wanted online to be included to speak out, but the linked thread seems to have deteriorated into douchbags arguing instead of a place where people who want online can post a friendly comment and have their opinion heard. Too bad. It probably wouldn't have changed anything, but the current "fan" response is too embarrassing to even bring the topic up seriously at Capcom.

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

Well, I still think they will implement an online-mode into the handheld version. And if not, than i will play it by myself and - of course - with my brother.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I'll finally be able to hunt Jhen, Jho, and Ala by myself. >.> (and now Guran too, I guess, lol)

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Speaking of which, MHTU's guild (on the Wii U) should be like the portable games. They have an offline and online version of the guild hall. You can do any quest in the game solo or with friends. All of the main series MHs had the online quests in an entirely different area and the quests were all tied to that area... which disappeared once the servers went down.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

For sure means I need a Wii U by March, but I think I might pick up the 3DS version as well.... I love Monster Hunter.

Bucho

Bucho said:

I think they decided to do this purely to milk MH3 as much as possible and that's what many people can't get past, yes they make a lot of money but us, the gamers also get a great deal, i don't mind the 3DS version is only local, i still play Tri offline a lot, and only play online when i'm on the mood to deal with strangers.
I'll deffinitely buy the 3DS version first and the Wii U version when i get a the console which i will eventually. a must buy!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

@Bucho: ...The 3rd generation only has 3 main games..."Tri G" is the last before they move onto the next generation. (MH4)
It's how they do things...they don't stick with 3 forever, lol

CerealKiller062

CerealKiller062 said:

Later on, they will sell online functionality as dlc. Its Capcom, I used to be a fan, until they stabbed me in the back.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@zezhyrule
I'm assuming that 3G's Tanza harbor will remain the local and offline multiplayer town and that we'll get Loc Lac back as the online town. Moga Village will of course still be the offline story mode town.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Nope no Loc Lac this time around, probably still have the armor though haven't kept up with MH3G.

I probably will get both at some point just not sure which since any possible bundles will tip the scale, but probably the Wii U version since it has online and might be playable on the gamepad and I'm waiting until around Jan-Mar to get a Wii U anyway. Heres hoping for a Wii U bundle.

Nardar

Nardar said:

Will you be able to transfer your Tri to Ultimate or will you have to start over?

Jgam

Jgam said:

it was to good to be true..... come on finally monster hunter on 3ds and no online play?!?!?

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Doesn't get any more lazy than this. It's hard watching Capcom and SquareEnix become two complete piles out of trash. I truly hope each company turns it around soon because they do have two franchises apiece that I really care about. Unfortunately I think the morons running each company will run them right into the ground. In 5 years time it's possible neither will be around and considering how important they once were to this industry, that's very sad.

Samholy

Samholy said:

well. at first i was mad. no online feature on the 3ds version, what a shame.
but then again, after playing kid icarus and heroes of ruins online, i must say their multiplayer side werent much of an enjoyment to me.
the features were there, functionned better than I expected. yet, found them...bland.
i prefer my handheld experience offline, as a single player affaire.

the fact that im 30 y.o. is a turn off for playing online games, unless i play with friends. I usually end up playing with very young people :-p
ill keep my online playing on PS3 (and who knows...WiiU ?)

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

that's alright, though It would be nice if the 3DS version did have online, I will still be getting it ;)

Wanderhope

Wanderhope said:

I am so interested in getting one but I don't know enough about the series to make a decision!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I don't get why it does not have online, but I really don't care anyway. I would be needing a CPP to play it decently, and I had my share of MH3 on the Wii anyway.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

None of the portable Monster Hunters have ever had online. They have always been Ad-Hoc, with XLink Kai compatibility. The online has always been reserved for consoles.

@Samholy has a good point, online functionality for handhelds is always inferior to that of consoles / PC.