The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia is Coming to the West

Posted by Mike Mason

Link to the past

Good news — that lovely looking Zelda book that came to Japan earlier this year, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, is being released in North America at the start of 2013.

Dark Horse Books will be publishing the 272-page hardcover art book, which contains bundles of concept art, the complete history of Hyrule and, of course, that slightly confusing official Zelda timeline. As well as words from Shigeru Miyamoto and other developers involved in the series, there's also a comic from Akira Himekawa, author of the official Zelda manga.

It's scheduled to ship on 29th January 2013. You won't need a Giant's Wallet to afford it, either: it'll cost $34.99 US, $38.99 CAN.

Dark Horse Books and Nintendo team up to bring you The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia,
containing an unparalleled collection of historical information on The Legend of Zelda franchise.
This handsome hardcover contains never-before-seen concept art, the full history of Hyrule, the
official chronology of the games, and much more! Starting with an insightful introduction by the
legendary producer and video-game designer of Donkey Kong, Mario, and The Legend of Zelda,
Shigeru Miyamoto, this book is crammed full of information about the storied history of Link's
adventures from the creators themselves! As a bonus, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
includes an exclusive comic by the foremost creator of The Legend of Zelda manga — Akira
Himekawa!

KEY SELLING POINTS:

• The Legend of Zelda franchise has sold 68 million copies since the release of the first game,
    with the original Legend of Zelda being the fourth best selling NES game of all time, and The
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time holding the record for the highest reviewed video game of all
    time.
  • Covers the full history of The Legend of Zelda franchise.
  • With an introduction by game designer Shigeru Miyamoto.
  • Includes the official timeline of The Legend of Zelda games, never-before-seen concept art, The
    Legend of Zelda manga, in-depth information on the making of the The Legend of Zelda
    franchise, and art by some of the most storied concept artists in video games.

[via diamondbookdistributors.com]

Cloud-San-VII

Cloud-San-VII said:

Yay! Especially since I don't have to import (that would set me back a little more). Hope did work!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

$34.99? naah, i think i'll just buy a 3DS game for that much and then play it while everyone starts ripping out each other's throat over the supposed 'official timeline' haha. :3

randomlypikachu

randomlypikachu said:

.... this is the best day of my life :D ... well untill the next best day comes but untill then ... best day of my life! :D

KAHN

KAHN said:

one of the NA NLife members should review the contents within the book!
idc what people call it, but i'm gonna keep this in my satchel and call it the book of Mudora : D

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

When I get this, Ill bring it to school and when the history teacher says "Take out your History books" I'll pull this out like a BOSS!

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

I've got the Japanese book, the quality and artwork are totally worth it even though I have no idea what any of it says. Gonna have to pick this one up too.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Looks good. I'm yet to really play any LoZ games, but plan on doing so in the near future, and I'm a sucker for this type of thing. I think I'll snatch it up once it's released!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

For a hardcover 272 page long book it does not sound bad at all. I hope Amazon carries this at that price. And two weeks after my birthday! Thanks, Dark Horse.

NImH

NImH said:

This will sit on my shelf next to my Mouseguard trades and Tolkien novels.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Huzzah! I'm not concerned about the "Official Timeline" persay, I just want that beautiful concept art and tidbits all in one place. This and that Sonic book will set me back a bit though...

Nanoline

Nanoline said:

@theblackdragon In case someone else hasn't already said it - the book already released in Japan some time ago, and the timeline within is indeed official since the book is written and compiled by Nintendo themselves, Shiggy included.

Moreover, the timeline actually ends up making sense, which is nice. And it makes Link to the Past so much more awesome because it cleans up OoT's mess.

reborn

reborn said:

I hope I take enough pills to be able to understand Link's timeline...

KAHN

KAHN said:

the manuals for the old games were a treat in on their own. i happen to have the LttP manual right here. so... much... ART! I mean... geez! the art in this manual has more colors than i've ever seen! so many pictures! when i was a kid, the pictures were the only thing that amused me in the manuals, because i was too lazy to read :3 can't wait to see the creativity in this book. definately picking this up(not just for the art,of coarse >:3).

hydeks

hydeks said:

looks like a awesome read, but I doubt it has any new info that we haven't been told already on websites :P Great fan service though! :)

workerbot

workerbot said:

It can be pre-ordered at Amazon for $20.99. I've ordered it for a Christmas present for my son (it'll be a late present, but better late than never!).

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Must. Have. It.

Now.

Must. Have. It.

(commits Hara-Kiri due to excitement)