Actually, New Super Mario Bros. 2 May Not Take 45 Minutes To Download

Posted by Damien McFerran

New fastest time submitted

Yesterday we brought you the harrowing news that it could take upwards of three quarters of an hour to download the digital copy of New Super Mario Bros. 2 on your Nintendo 3DS console. That figure came courtesy of Siliconera, who tested the download using a review code and a US 3DS.

Compared to the kind of download times experienced on platform such as PSN, XBLA and iOS, that was pretty abysmal, triggering a tidal wave of concern from Nintendo devotees all over the globe.

However, more positive news has emerged. IGN has done a similar test — no doubt under strict monitoring and with an independent witness present to verify the results — and clocked a more encouraging time of 13 minutes. Panic over! Phew.

[via twitter.com]

BenAV

BenAV said:

I'm sure we'll have nothing to worry about.
especially those of us who are going physical.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I wasn't even panicking before. This is just an extra bonus.

BTW there's a typo, it should be "wave" not "way."

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Well there you go, hardly time to even make that coffee and drink it!

Siliconera mustn't have used the super duper awesome download speed I've heard so much about.

sykotek

sykotek said:

I don't believe it...someone send me a code and I'll post my fastest time! :D

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

What, people are posting speed runs for downloading games now?? Dear me...

Kifa

Kifa said:

@C-Olimar That is probably some new "benchmark metagame", similar to that of various 3DMark-era scoreboards (still exist, but less visible). I really see absolutely no point in posting a file's download time, because it depends on so many immeasurable factors (server load, traffic on the packet's route, hubs capacity, your own connection loaded with other tasks etc.) that it's simply ridiculous to make news from how long some game downloaded... Geez, people are surely bored...

blackside

blackside said:

It was already known the game was under 400 mb's so it was pretty obvious download times would be well under 30mins

MAB

MAB said:

ha ha! NL should run a competition where their readers submit video of themselves downloading NSMB2... The quickest downloader receives a Sonic coffee mug and the slowest nabs a 'I need a new ISP, STAT!!' T-shirt or something with a iron on print of the NL staff pulling stupid faces :)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

It would be interesting to see how people's download times differ, and that would really be something for those that want to stay physical to look at. But I'm sure that the better your internet connection is, the faster the download's going to be.

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

So it seems that different people with different ISPs and connection speeds download things at different rates. Whoever would have guessed.

Mizore

Mizore said:

Sounds more reasonable I guess...not exactly sure what goes on during the download (does itdo installing and other things too? or is that after? >.>), but I think my computer can download 370mb a LOT faster.

Jumpman

Jumpman said:

Santa:...actually Jimmy it will only take 13 minutes to download the game. Have a merry Christmas. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Jimmy: I still wanted the cartridge version though. Humph!

pariah164

pariah164 said:

I wasn't even panicking at the start, but here's the thing: everyone is probably gonna have different download times.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

The article pic looks like Mario just gave an uppercut from Hell to his poor brother! Been training with Ryu & Ken, Mario? SHORYUKEN!!!!!:p

Hokori

Hokori said:

I knew I couldn't trust the last article, mine will be different I can assure you

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Perfect, now it'll take exactly the amount of time it would take me to drive to the store and back to buy it.

That...sounds sarcastic, I know, but I'm actually happy about this.

blackside

blackside said:

I for one am happy I wont have to bother with another useless case.

On the other hand, its annoying that i'm now gonna impulse buy a whole bunch of games I don't even want while sitting up in bed bored at 1am... can only blame myself for that I suppose...

mmarkster

mmarkster said:

There are a few variables that affect your download speed.

1. ISP Speed
2. Server Traffic
3. Personal Network Traffic
4. SD Card

I'm going to redownload the Resident Evil Revelations Demo and see how long it takes. From the time I start the download till the time the gift gets wrapped. See you later!

mmarkster

mmarkster said:

Took me 4 minutes and 18 seconds to download the demo. At a rate of 4.48 Mbps, it will take approximately 10 minutes and 8 seconds to download New Super Mario Bros. 2.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

on my ps3 it takes at least 12 hours to download a retail game how is 45 minutes a long time?

Zetchzie

Zetchzie said:

Then the game itself must be a small file of 300mb or 500mb nothing over a gb the 3DS card can hold 8gb but nintendo is being sparingly with it so I guess its ok but the bigger the size the more extensive content there is

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I'd like to suggest we all download it at the same time, after we destroy Nintendo's bandwidth, Damo posts the exclusive news story the next day saying "NSMB2 actually takes 5 hours to download".

Ryoga

Ryoga said:

This posts are making sound the download version like a BAD thing...

frod

frod said:

PSN doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those other networks.

ElementalChaos

ElementalChaos said:

It would take me 25 to 40 minutes to download for me, if my crappy Internet is any indication :P

You also have to take into account the stress on Nintendo's servers when the game comes out. It might turn out like Diablo 3 all over again.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

At first I was worried about this because I was running out of space, but then I got a 4 GB SD Card! I'm downloading this!

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

It only took me 10 minutes to download, so Siliconera must have been using a very poor set up.