Retro Mario Discounts Jumping Onto North American eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Celebrating New Super Mario Bros. 2

When it comes to New Super Mario Bros. 2, you'd have to live in a deep, dark cave to not know about it. Trailers and videos swarm the web and its status as the first retail download being offered by Nintendo has given it even more profile. Still, that won't stop Nintendo of America doing some additional marketing and promotions, because why not?

As a continuation of the 'game of the weekend' 3DS eShop campaigns of recent weeks — with Nintendo entering the world of digital discounts — the company is going one step further with four Mario-themed Virtual Console reductions. Each of the following titles will be on sale for one week periods, with the final game actually being discounted for the second time.

26th July to 1st August — Super Mario Bros. — $3.99
2nd August to 8th August — Super Mario Land — $2.99
9th August to 15th August — Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins — $2.99
16th August to 22nd August — Mario's Picross — $2.99

Are you planning to pick any of these up as practice for the new game?

Related Games

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Even if I lived in America, I have these four already.

How about permanent reductions sometime?

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

cool it seems NA gets discounts every now and then.
europe got 2 weeks of discount a while ago. i would rather have discounts every now and then

Wanderhope

Wanderhope said:

I bought Super Mario Land 2 a day ago...bah!

I told myself I wouldn't buy Super Mario Bros. a fifth time, but now I'm a bit more tempted. And I've never played picross so maybe I'll grab that one as well?

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

Already have these. Hopefully Nintendo will be some new Mario content to Nintendo eShop. How about Super Mario Bros. 2? Or 3?

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

They should bring out the SMB Advance series that were on GBA. I played them all as classics but never on that platform...

@MrWezzle How was the wedding?

Chris720

Chris720 said:

How come no sales for Europe? We've only had the anniversary deals and that was it... good grief Nintendo!

accc

accc said:

A $1 discount is hardly enough to get me to buy a game I hadn't already bought previously.

RogertheDumplin

RogertheDumplin said:

I already have Super Mario Bros. and Mario's Picross. Super Mario Land looks too short, so I'll have to think about that one. I will most likely be getting The sequel.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Nope, already own them all.

Bought Super Mario Land, got Mario Land 2 from GameStop ( they had a period where they sold eShop games), Mario's Picross from Club Nintendo and Super Mario Bros. because I'm an ambassador.

edcomics

edcomics said:

I recently bought the original SMB, so now I wish I'd waited a few weeks. It's not a big deal, but they should really just lower prices across the board permanently. They'd probably see a lot more sales on their Virtual Console games if they did that.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I have all of them already so I wont be getting them at the sale price. Might play them but something tells me I will be to wrapped up in Warioland.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

This sucks. I was hoping more 3DS ware games would go on sale. I still need to pick up Mutant Mudds.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

I sadly and happily have all of them except Mario's Picross. I missed the sale they had for that one this last weekend, so this will give me more time to think it over.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I didn't care for Picross DS, so I'll probably won't grab that one. As for the other three, one of them was for free and I bought the other two.

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

I already own all of those games and the first New Super Mario Bros. so I'm TOO READY for New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Thank's for the head's up for the following week's for the game of the weekend sales. :)

I already have all 4 of those games though. Thanx anyway's! :)

I won't be downloading anything until NSMB 2 is released in the e-shop. So got to wait til august 19th when it's released.

Been checking nintendo's site under games coming soon & just nothing look's appealing hopefully they throw in a few surprise games that we didn't already know about still snagging the point's card's for next week though putting them away though until NSMB 2 is released the rest of the next 3 week's of download's for me can go on my wish list when something look's interesting.

Already got stina on wishlist just not putting a point's card on my system for one game though let the wishlist build up a little then download all at once. Plus is a good way to see review's on the games. :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

I think Nintendo should give us discounts the first week a game comes out as an incentive to buy it. $3.99 games should be $3.49 the first week. $2.99 games should be $2.49. $1.99 games should be $1.49. $4.99 games should be $4.49. Etc., etc., etc.

Samholy

Samholy said:

mario picross and mario land 2 6 golden coins. the price cutdown is totally worth it now.

as for new mario bros 2, im not sure. i liked the first one,played it non stop while it lasted.but didnt go further to unlock everything like i did with mario land 3D. mario games are easy to find later at a chopped price, so that is what i will do

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@Thomas_Whitehead I think a correction is needed. You said only Mario's Picross was the only game to be discounted twice. Well SML was the 1st game to be discounted, and it was priced at 2.99 instead of 3.99.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

Seriously, I have been playing sooo much Mario's Picross since I got it on sale this past weekend. It is an AWESOME game. Oh, and I already have all four games but keep the sales coming Nintendo!

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I wish NSMBWii U looked like Super Mario Land's Cover.
OldSchool Toon mario owns Plastic CG generic Mario anytime of the week.

bahooney

bahooney said:

I'm starting to think if SNES emulation is ever in the cards for Nintendo... I mean, the 3DS obviously has the ability. Super Mario RPG on the go? Yes, please.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I'll probably be getting Mario Land 1. I wanted it when it was on sale before, but I missed it. I have the other three already.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Already got em all! Who on Earth would wait for those fantastic releases? I'm sure most ppl who wanted them (except for new customers/new adopters of the 3DS XL) would already have grabbed those titles. Howabout releasing a new Mario title on the e-shop (like SMB 2, VC) to coincide with the NSMB2 release?

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Ill guess I will get SML2. I played it on my ds a couple of years ago. The only problem is that the software nintendo gives, does not support for super Gameboy, which would been awesome.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Damn I'm jealous of these weekly sales you get! Over here we got 2 weeks of sales and that's it. And they were only 20% off, some of yours have been up to 50% off. In fact, the normal prices you have are still lower than the discounted prices I payed. I would kill for $3 games.

iphys

iphys said:

Picked up SML the last time it was on sale, already have SMB from the Ambassador program, own the SML2 cart and don't like it, and I've already played through Picross and passed on it as a Club Nintendo freebie and the last time it was on sale, so nothing for me. I hope they are still going to be doing the game of the weekend in addition to these Mario sales.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I'd rather have the US version of Super Mario Bros. 2 , or HECK, even the Japanese version or Super Mario Bros. 2 appear on the eShop the week New Super Mario Bros. 2 is released. I mean heck, SMB 2 just debuted in Japan today. DANG, even Super Mario Bros. 3 would be acceptable for me. As for the first 3 weeks before the 8/16/2012 - 8/22/2012, I could care less about those games since I own them already.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

I think this is awesome, I only have Super Mario Land 2, so this is welcome news. I probably would never try Mario Picross, but at that price it might be worth it.