Talking Point: When StreetPass Reunites Old Friends

Posted by James Newton

It's a small world

Last week, the UK Nintendo Life team hosted a meet-up in Nottingham's swanky Broadway cinema lounge, with staff members travelling from all over Great Britain to get together and play a lot of video games.

While there are many stories from the evening that we could tell — and plenty more we couldn't — one small chance encounter stands out as a crystallisation of why we love gaming: it brings people together. There's no way to tell this story without breaking into first person, so here we (I) go.

With attendees coming from all corners of the UK, everyone made their own travel arrangements, agreeing to meet at the venue around 2pm. My train from York had been delayed due to some bad weather, but I got into Sheffield with plenty of time to make my next train. Naturally I had my 3DS in my bag, StreetPass mode engaged: with just a few pieces left to get in Puzzle Swap, I wasn't going to let any opportunity pass by.

Eventually my train to Nottingham rolls up — a shaky little two-carriage affair — and I dump my bag and take a seat.

After a few minutes, I get a text from our assistant editor Mike Mason.

I've just StreetPassed you in Sheffield.

"How strange," I think. "He must have been waiting for a train at the same time."

(For anyone wondering how Mike could be so certain he'd StreetPassed me of all the James-named Mii characters out there, my personal phrase is — of course — nintendolife.com. Viral marketing on the go.)

A brief SMS conversation later and we realise we're sat about 15 feet away from each other; the high-backed seats meant we couldn't see each other's faces. Were it not for StreetPass, it's unlikely we'd have known we were on the same train and would have sat on our own, instead of catching up and talking about computer games like the huge nerds we are.

So there you have it: StreetPass helped me to meet up with someone I already knew and who I knew was going to the same place I was. Hardly spectacular luck I'll admit, but a nice little act of serendipity that gave two friends an extra hour together.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm currently attempting to go an entire 3DS generation without StreetPassing anyone. So far, so good. :D

NintendoLee

NintendoLee said:

This is a better story than the April fools one last year of the woman who found out her husband was having an affair due to streepass.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I wish I had more friends to streetpass with...it's hard when you are 22 and newly married. haha

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

street pass is indeed cool. however, if one doesn't live in a city, they are almost always going to be disappointed in the numbers they get. i've had mine about 5 weeks and have 5 streetpasses and 2 invitation miis. that is actually pretty good for from what i've seen for those of us who live in a more rural area.

there are many more rural areas than cities in the states; we're just so damn big a country. that's why i think 'meh' when i hear about nintendo doing concerts or gaming events or whatever: there is no way they can/will be made available to areas other than where they've already been for events.

sgotsch

sgotsch said:

An ex texted me. First she saw me, than my mii.

Oh, also found out an old friend of mine is in the same subject of study as me.

The green light is always exciting! :D

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

One streetpass from someone I don't know. One from someone I do, and it was intentional.
And I live in a city.
Dangit.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

I live in a rural area and have exactly 50 people in my plaza, none from online play, all legitimate street passes.

I consider myself lucky.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

@tysonQ7: i'd say you were extremely luck! are you near/in a college town or something like that?

i like streetpass, but wish there was a way to contact them so that friendship codes could be exchanged (if desired). is that possible? if not, why not?

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

You never went to any cities near? Because in my town I have met 20 street passers at the most. However, I live near Toronto and I got 16 in one day at the Fair.

Smooth27

Smooth27 said:

It would be cool if u add a bio amd more shirts different color pants and pictochat with the people near you more hairstyles and maybe diffrrent shirys with logo.

Rocketship

Rocketship said:

Since I started bringing mine to lectures with me I get two or three hits a day, success! Also without noticing I passed someone I used to go to school with because I collected their mii, was chuffed! lol

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Jeez. Where do you guys who have NEVER StreetPassed anyone live? I'm in rural Tennessee and I get one just about every time I leave the house. I mean all you have to do is take it with you to the movie theater or Walmart and it's green LED light central.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I carry mine at work regularly, and I sometimes get some randoms in StreetPass, but mostly I just get one coworker over and over. Seems relatively few people think to try StreetPassing at a grocery store...

The mall, on the other hand, is an easy way to get StreetPasses, especially if you hang out around GameStop for a bit. And yes, fairs and the like are always going to be good opportunities. I got six StreetPasses at the Laurel Main Street Festival last year. Not bad at all considering it's a May event and few people had bought a 3DS yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how well I fair there this year. :D

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Haha! That's awesome, James.

My best StreetPass story is way less interesting. I take my 3DS with me to college, and I realize I have passed by the same guy often, yet I still don't know who he is. I only know his Mii. Sadly, I don't get nearly as many StreetPasses as I would like. Sometimes I get three Passes a day just in college, and sometimes I get none. I just gotta be lucky!

Nickno

Nickno said:

Let's see. I've streetpassed...the gamestop demo system. Wahh forever alone.

Monsti

Monsti said:

Cool story, Bro.....

No seriously: Love the article. :D I like stories like that and you're not the first one. I actually started friendships by streetpassing and exchanging frtiendcodes...then came swapnote and then real life. :)

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

So James did you get a second street pass that day from the same person!l? I've gotten two in one day from my coworker in just over an 8 hour span.

@Corbs Is that intentional?

@pixelman That because you never take your precious system anywhere with you! :-P

Mok

Mok said:

I live in London. Today I got a streetpass hit from a Canadian. Woho!

Rocky

Rocky said:

I love the street pass feature of the 3DS. I've carried mine with me every where since launch day. I don't think I'm going to be able to give it up when the Vita arrives next week. I'll probably end up just carrying my 3DS with me and never playing the Vita because of the street pass feature alone. I can't see myself carrying two portable systems with me all the time (plus a cell phone). Unless the street passes dry up, the 3DS has me hooked.

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

at the University of Maryland I get them all the time when I remember to carry mine with me, I've gotten one guy 5 times (finally met him the third time)

Mason

Mason said:

It was really cool — I saw the green light flicker on, and I had a bit of a feeling about it before I even checked. Lo and behold, there's James; a bit of neck stretching over seats and we were reunited. :D

Long live StreetPass!

Hokori

Hokori said:

I StreetPass someone a lot at school, it helps me beat Find Mii and get hats

Nibelilt

Nibelilt said:

I live in a rural area and so far, at 54 StreetPass Hits... I must be really lucky. There's also a small StreetPass community near here and some workers at EB five minutes away I get Hits from every time I go there so I try to visit those areas a lot. It's such a shame I have to go out so much to get them. I've seen quite a few people with 3DS systems, but most of the time they're kids either playing a DS game or with their system off.

Last night, I had a dream I got a StreetPass Hit from a white Mii. But woke up and still stuck in Dark Room. :( Dammit.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Living in rural Australia sucks. I haven't met a single person in my town with StreetPass. And it's a popular tourist destination! My friends don't have a 3DS but have seen people around with them but whenever I look, there's nobody. :( However if I go to a bigger town or city I get one every time I go there. Which has only been twice so far... I'm really looking forward to going on holidays to New Zealand in just over a month though! Going to be heaps of streetpasses in the cities/airports. :)

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Awesome story guys!

I've yet to get a StreetPass either. I even carried mine around on Black Friday and... nothing. :(

AVahne

AVahne said:

Strange that I barely get any streetpasses in Houston, it's a big city...

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

LOL, I walked into walmart... I Streetpassed my friend Jay, LOL. I think he was working, though I did walk into walmart not expecting it.

Also at that point I didn't see him for a long time.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

I bought my 3ds first day! Still no streetpass. And I drove down to Atlanta, GA. No hits. I saw a guy at school somehow get a hit. I have gone into GAMESTOPS and not gotten a hit. And yet i see people carrying them around if I don't have mine,

Tash

Tash said:

I get at least 1-3 passes a month. But I guess its mostly my fault for 1.) not going out much, and 2.) not bringing my 3ds with me often...

hydeks

hydeks said:

I live in a very small area and I have NO streetpasses yet, and I could careless lol.

I'm to busy enjoying the games :)

Skotski

Skotski said:

359 Streetpasses! And I'm missing an extra 120 due to my 3DS going in for repairs and losing the Streetpass data!
;D READ IT AND WEEP

....

Actually, I've met some people with over 1000+ Streetpasses... So mine's nothing to brag about in comparison.

...I live in a busy city, as you can see.
And I attend Streetpass events near my area. :3 I'm almost finished with all the puzzles! But those pesky pink pieces are going to be the death of me! ...some of the people I streetpassed with already have theirs complete though... :c

:) I wish you all the best of luck!

VincentV

VincentV said:

Countless Streetpass tags for me. 3 kids on bus, 3 more @ school, plus my bro, 2 of the Game Stop guys, the Frozen Yogurt Shop guy, and my cousins.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I've had an odd occasion like this as well, where a friend of mine evidently walked by a restaurant where I was eating, and Streetpassed me through the wall.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Almost all of my streetpasses came from the OoT midnight launch. Since then ive been averaging about .669 streetpasses per month.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I guess I'm not doing as bad as I thought (without attending related organized events). So far, I've StreetPassed 10 random individuals for a combined 28 times. 2 or 3 also had Mario Kart 7. I now have completed 4 "old" puzzles, am waiting on the pink pieces from 2 of the newer ones, and just started my fifth "old" one today! :D

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Had my 3DS since the end of December, have carried it w/ me, w/ever I go out. I've SP'd about maybe 2-4 times max., week 1 of ownership 1, or 2 guys I got MK7 ghost data from in BJs, but I lost the data deleting my SD card, since it had pictures on it, from previous 3DS ownership. Then, I remember the name of 1 of the guys, & I actually SP'd him again just weeks ago, in Target.

Now that I think about it, I think I might have only SP'd about 2-3 times. Too many ppl carrying around other handhelds, & not the gaming kind of handhelds either.

craig0rneil3

craig0rneil3 said:

I live in a Town in Scotland, I visit the town centre often and dont get very many. More frequently since Christmas. I get my Girlfriend as a hit almost on a daily basis so that's pretty nice. The idea of streetpass is Brilliant just wish more people carried them around.