Nintendo Japan Releases First 3DS Paid DLC

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Stealing Theatrhythm's thunder

After Nintendo's announcement last year that DLC would arrive on 3DS, it looked like Theatrhythm Final Fantasy — due for release in Japan on 16th Feburary — would be the first title with paid extra content on the handheld. Not to be upstaged, Nintendo has jumped ahead and released three small download packs for a 3DS camera app called Tobidasu Print Club Kiradeco Revolution.

This app allows editing and customisation of pictures taken with the 3DS camera, no doubt offering options beyond the default system program. Three separate decorative kits have been released: The Mario Kart 7 Set, Spring Trial Set and Mario Basic Set, all available for ¥100 (about 82p or $1.28). Each kit includes photo frames, backgrounds and stamps, an example of which you can see in this article's picture.

Paid DLC on 3DS is well and truly underway in The Land of the Rising Sun: what do you think of 'sets' like these and their price?

McRokert

McRokert said:

kind of a meaningless dlc, give us new characters for mario kart 7 or new levels in super mario 3d land ..

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Darnit! I saw the title and a Mario Kart 7 picture and got all excited thinking we were going to get Waluigi or Dry Bones. Curse you NL!

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I'd rather the DLC go straight to the 3DS Camera app. But this is ok too as long as the actual app is free.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I was under the impression that this kind of DLC would be free to interest every 3DS owner in the camera function again and spread the word around. :o
But at least this one is easy to resist for me. :) Could change if i make heavy use of the camera one day though.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

You are not getting it...
It's a japan-only app for editing photos not the "photo channel" that comes with the 3DS, and it got 3 DLC packs adding stamps, borders and stuff.
It will probably never reach this side of the world.

That aside, I think that's nice, I would pay if there was a pack I liked.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

Unless they make Nintendo money card thing for non-credit card users, it would be meaningless.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@TeeJay Not the DLC, I know you pay for that I mean the "Tobidasu Print Club Kiradeco Revolution." That's not the name of the DLC that's the name of the app you get the DLC for.

B-Ray97

B-Ray97 said:

I don`t now,
DLC means make desicions for wich packs your choose...
We will wait when it comes to EU,US AND AUS!

Squid

Squid said:

Huh. I kinda forgot about the pre-loaded apps on the 3DS for DLC(I kept only thinking of ways the DLC could apply to retail and digital games), so it would be interesting to see what DLC would be put on other apps. Which makes me wonder if they might add stuff the Web Browser as DLC...

Ren

Ren said:

So, then what is this camera app good for again? Never learned what things people actually want to do with their pictures? Even little kids would rather have cool actual camera effects than dopey cartoon overlays.

barneygumble

barneygumble said:

Since I never using the 3ds camera, not use for me.

Seeing the MK7 Logo I was hoping for a Mario Kart DLC ( Tracks, Characters etc ) ...tooooo bad it turned out to be just a camera gimmick

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Really no offense to Thomas but why did you put THAT picture!?!? I thought we were getting Mario Kart 7 DLC. And if we that then we could get online multiplayer for Star Fox 64 3D...

Gamma

Gamma said:

Finally! Nintendo can now add some DLC's, but the question is....can they add DLC's for current games that have multiplayer capabilities (Such as Mario Kart 7) ? Who knows; but I am really excited about this.

Noire

Noire said:

Am I the only one who noticed the girls before the Mario Kart 7 logo?

...Yes? Kay ... I'll just stand in this corner over here then.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@Knuckles @Phoenixborn, This is how i saw it on my 3DS browser, People and Mario characters. Closer look, Two girls, MARIO KART 7 LOGO!!!!!!!!!! Enter page. Sheer dissapointment on the fault of NoJ not releasing MK7 DLC.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Makes sense.
Pretty sure Japan love this kind of stuff.
Doubt it'll ever get released outside Japan, and I doubt even more that they'd have paid DLC for it if it did.
We will have to wait to see what else they use DLC for.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

For those who thought this was a reveal of MK7 DLC, if that were the case we'd probably use a headline that makes it absolutely clear, but I see the confusion. As for the picture, I thought the two random smiling girls gave a hint this was a camera app. Sorry for any disappointment, nevertheless :)

@h0nden - I believe that's the 'marketing PR' 3DS camera, as the resolution on the real consoles is certainly lower.

@Gamma - I'm not 100% sure whether Nintendo can, potentially, release DLC for the likes of Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. I've read conflicting reports in terms of it being a possibility, and others saying that neither game cart supports updates through DLC, outside of SpotPass content that uses existing tracks/levels. I normally choose to be an optimist and would love to see it happen.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

purikura is way more popular in Japan than it ever was here in the West. there's no way we'll see that app or its DLC, it just wouldn't sell here.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@TheDarkness DLC for Resident Evil Revelations hasn't even been hinted at, as far as I'm aware, so I'm not convinced that'll happen. Considering the replay value in the online 'Raid' mode, and the fact they'll be running servers for that, I personally doubt that Capcom will develop more content.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

I'm fairly certain NA won't be seen as many titles with DLC possible, but for that sort of price range I'd be ok with DLC. I'm still really hoping Theatrhythm makes it here, though I'd be disappointed if it was one of the higher-priced games since I'll be paying extra for more songs.
I also still really want more characters/tracks as DLC for Mario Kart.