North America Nintendo Video Service Due "Later This Summer"

Posted by James Newton

Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week...

Tomorrow, Europe gets the Nintendo Video application, as does Japan. Nintendo of America hasn't formally announced its plans yet, but now we have a bit more information and it doesn't sound entirely promising.

Nintendo of America informed Joystiq that the service will arrive "later this summer". Granted, any date between now and the end of next month fits the bill, so it could still arrive this week, but we'll have to wait to find out.

Nintendo's short-form video service that delivers special video content for Nintendo 3DS systems will launch in North America later this summer. In addition, Netflix members who have an unlimited plan starting at $7.99 a month and access to a broadband wireless Internet connection will soon be able to download a free Netflix application that allows them to watch movies and TV shows on their Nintendo 3DS systems at no extra charge. These services will add to the wealth of games and entertainment content currently available via the Nintendo eShop. For more information about Nintendo 3DS, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.

[via joystiq.com]

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

In other words, August 31 if we're lucky. I'm so sick of Nintendo of America it's beyond belief and the way they've gone about their business lately, it's really making me not want to invest in a Wii U.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

This really just seems like one of those customer service cookie cutter e-mail responses. Like you'd get this exact same response if you asked them last week or last month.

LordChimpington

LordChimpington said:

Hey don't get me wrong it would be cool to get these sooner and get the 3 nintendo games that are basically just in japan but you shouldn't be hating nintendo or nintendo of america. We will be getting netflix and the video service soon just be patient. I am not upset that we may not get those sooner. Also the 3 games I am ok if we don't get them they may be fun but I have a ton of other games already on my list right now.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

I wonder how this service will be streamed over a 3DS, though. The 3DS/DS line isn't powerful enough (still) in 2011, I'm sure this would drain the battery in about 5 minutes' use.

LordChimpington

LordChimpington said:

@4 yea but technically the 3ds is more powerful then a wii and you can watch it on wii. Plus If they don't stream they may do downloads.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

@5 yea but the 3DS has to run on limited battery power if not connected to a charger

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@3

It's coming up on four months since the 3DS has been out, there is absolutely no excuse for all these features not to be available by now. As far as the 3 Wii games, the majority of the work has been handled by NoE, it's virtually risk free for NoA to release them and any sales would've been good for them. Instead they're just taking the easy, and frankly lazy, way out. On the other hand, the money saved from not buying The Last Story will just go to a PS3 game I want so whatever. It is very disappointing though and if the company doesn't shape up with how they treat consumers over here I really hope people stop buying their .
watch the language, please — TBD

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I wonder what America's getting out of their video service other than Netflix

pikku

pikku said:

How hard is it to plug your sytem in? It's not like you';ll be using the streaming feature anywhere you don't have access to electricity anyway, so just charge it sillies. :P

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

They are doing everything in their power to piss off fans lately. This is HIGHLY disappointing, yet again!

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Mully: Well they may have licensing issues to deal with, not to mention Netflix, so that's probably what's holding them back. also, NA is getting Netflix. :P

Saber

Saber said:

Couldn't we just watch our favorite shows and movies on our original t.v?

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Are we getting Netflix this week though or is that included in Nintendo Video? I've been frustrated the past few weeks with the 3DS. The first couple of weeks of eShop were great, as we had awesome VC games and 3D videos up for download and then for the past couple of weeks, we've gotten obscure stuff that I'm not willing to take a chance on and the video content has dried up completely. If we don't get Netflix or Nintendo Video or both on Thursday, then we darn well better get some more 3D movie trailers and a Super Mario Land 2 or something to tide me over. I've beaten OoT and now I'm bored.

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

Dont forget the UK is also getting Sky TV, Eurosport and Aardman animation content. Im sure we would love to have Netflix but those three providers should have more than enough content for us to get on with at the moment...
all we need now is BBC iPlayer on the 3DS like we do on the wii.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

@Raptor78 See what I mean? You guys also got that Kirby cartoon channel for Wii and America has gotten zilch, nadda, nothing exclusive this year whatsoever aside from getting the E3 videos early. =/ Bah, I'm'a simmer down now. But still, what do the people who work for NoA do aside from tech support people? Do they just sit around and play games all day? The output isn't seeming to indicate a lot of imput, if you know what I mean.

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

I contacted Nintendo and received this response. "Thanks for contacting us. We had hoped to have the short-form video service application available at the launch of the Nintendo eShop. However, we are still in the process of developing this service as we want to be sure that it is polished and ready to go. While a specific date has not yet been determined, I can tell you that in the near future, users will be able to download this free application that will enable them to view specially selected video content, including 3D movie trailers, comedy clips and music videos automatically received using the SpotPass feature. (Please note that this service will be different than the Netflix download, which is scheduled to be available sometime this summer.)"

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...sighs And they didn't even say anything about 3D...so much for 3D movies. >_>

Nintonic

Nintonic said:

"Nintendo also reconfirmed its plans to offer Netflix to 3DS users in the coming months too."
Yeah! :D

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Makes sense, since most American broadcast programs are really strict with their licensing. I guess they could put original content on it to make it launch sooner, but something tells me they wouldn't have a lot to show at the start....

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@Mully Really? I have heard Americans saying that they have found eshop cards in stores near them including gamestop and have even seen pictures of them in American stores.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Could be only in bigger cities currently. I go to Gamestop at least once, sometimes twice a week to get StreetPass hits and I've not seen one yet.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@6ch6ris6: Don't celebrate just yet. Sounds like y'all are getting Kid Icarus after us awesome (and whiny) Americans!! :D

Crunchy_in_milk

Crunchy_in_milk said:

Not really disappointed in the delay, it's not like I can't just look up the same videos on YouTube or something.
As for Netflix, I already have it on my wii and it's not like I'll be in the same spot outside of my house long enough to watch a movie anyway.

MF_MaxiMillion

MF_MaxiMillion said:

NoA will get all of this soon, including Netflix. I'm sure NoE will have to wait a while for a video service like that. And then we can have all of this the opposite way.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, people. Don't forget Reggie said all these extra applications are just for the lulz.

yoyogamer

yoyogamer said:

I believe Net-flex will start out 2D only, with 3D support added over time. Fine by me, as long as I can watch The Super Mario Bros movie on the go.

accc

accc said:

Why can't they have it ready at the same time as Europe? How incompetent can you be?

siavm

siavm said:

I have this thing called a laptop. So I can watch videos on that. And for the complainers, just wait. You complained about games, some games have come out. You complained about eshop, it has come out. So the video service will come if you wait. People complained about the ps3, like you all are complaining about the 3ds. Look at it now, it is getting paper (money). Soon the 3ds will be doing the same.

Punny

Punny said:

It will probably launch in late August. At least that's what I'm predicting.

motang

motang said:

NoA is annoying me, why are they late when the other division aren't...stupid.

Ayer99

Ayer99 said:

Okay people, stop complaining about NOA. I would like to see you guys run such a giant company that has to deal with so many issues and still try to go out of their way just to provide us with stuff that we don't really need, just to keep us from going online and complaining about how we don't get this or that.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@36

The complaints aimed at NoA of late as well as the 3DS are all legit. The games will come eventually but it's taking way too long to get this system off the ground and running. The features we're discussing here are ones that should've been there at launch, period, and the complete lack of good games, first or third party outside of Street Fighter and Zelda is unacceptable for what they're charging for this system. Nintendo, specifically the North American branch, has to get its act together.

@40

Yeah you're right, we should just give them a break. We don't need good games for the Wii for the next year before Wii U is released and the 3DS' early months have been outstanding content wise... I don't remember being as frustrated with Nintendo as I am right now. Even the Gamecube, one of my least favorite systems ever, wasn't this horrendous early on.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I wish I had waited. It's $250 that could've been put towards actual good games from companies that seem to give a damn right now, which clearly Nintendo, again its NoA branch specifically, isn't one of those. Either that or I could've used the $250 towards Playstation Vita, there is no way Sony can possibly screw up the launch and early months of that system worse than Nintendo has 3DS.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

It seems that everything has switched lol

Remember when Europe get things later than the US? Before, they were catching up close to us. But now, they're getting things before us and soon enough, they'll get things far before us. It's funny. Guess it's our turn to get that feeling they used to get :P

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I'm actually angry as to why Nintendo offered us movies instead of what they should had offered like say good games a.k.a. Ninokuni, the Fire Emblem 3 remake, and Soma Bringer for DS and/or Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Padora's Tower for the Wii. Instead of all these awesome games, we will get movies that we probably already got on our HD systems.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

When will the ranting stop? There was enough of this nonsense on Gonintendo. First the eShop sucks even though it has the entire dsiware library (almost) and four major and fun franchise VC games released in the first month as well as a competent 3D Classics game. Summer's are ALWAYS dry for every company. This is someone who would check online everyday to see what new PS2 game was being released during summer only to find nothing but liscense titles. Heck we could get the video stuff around Christmas and I wouldn't be surprised.

I think Gamer83 must be that Hackerman guy from Gonintendo. We get it man, NOA sucks. At least don't debate the few positive comments on this thread with such high levels of negativity.

@47
Ni no Kuni is not a Nintendo property. Sure they COULD have published it here, but let's not start blaming Nintendo for games they have nothing to do with, okay.

Shadow_Chad6982

Shadow_Chad6982 said:

I was looking forward to netflix on the 3ds but since netflix is going to raise their prices to $15 a month for dvds and streaming im sticking to dvds only :(

3DS

3DS said:

So does anyone know how to download it since I have checked the e-store and tried to update my system none of which worked

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@48

I have no idea who that guy is you're talking about but if he doesn't care much for NoA these days can't say I blame him. I know it's hard to believe but there are many people who are pissed at NoA right now with good reason.

Samholy

Samholy said:

in other words. WAIT.
i dont really care about netflix, theyre rarely, if ever, update with new movies selection.
since i doubt beeign able to watch streaming movies in a bus ride, ill pass this netflix thing.
and tell me why would i rent movies to watch on my 3ds when i can watch them on my tv.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

Another useless app I'll never use. Why the heck do I want to watch on a screen that only 4 inches big when I can watch my 18 inch laptop screen or my 29 inch flat screen. I like the trailers but Netflix on the 3DS is a bit much.

@47 You haven't done your homework on that game, Ni no Kuni is the property of Level-5 and Studio Ghibli. T_T Do you realize how long it would take to translate that book that comes with the game, let alone the game itself!! If your really that desperate to play Ni no Kuni take Japanese lessons and stop complaining. You should be grateful that Master Miyazaki collaborated with making that game as he hates video games with a passion.

BalrogtheMaster

BalrogtheMaster said:

I have a feeling Nintendo won't release the Netflix app until September 1st or after, so we have to pay their increased prices. $23/month for 2 discs at a time and digital download? REALLY?

lmwtw1

lmwtw1 said:

I think Nintendo has come a long way. At least they FOCUS on games not computers and other things. Things will come just be patient.

Bugpy

Bugpy said:

I'm quite glad with this, America get a lot of games, consoles, services etc. before us and the one thing that we get like a month before them, and everyone complains. We've been stuck with it for years America!

CerealKiller062

CerealKiller062 said:

I was looking forward to the Netflix app but, I recently cancelled it due to the price increase. So I don't care anymore.

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

Well, we get Netflix tomorrow, so we're even...except I already have Netflix on my iPhone and PS3 and computer...so...ehh

bubby444

bubby444 said:

when nintendo said that the 3ds would be able to play movies i did not know that means only trailers of movies.they need to make movies available in separate cards like you can on psp.that would be vary cool