Super Mario Bros. Movie Re-released on DVD, Spot the Difference

Posted by James Newton

Clue: it's not the quality of the film

Feel like your DVD collection is missing something, but you're not sure what? Here's the answer: the newly re-released Super Mario Bros. Movie, available once again in glorious DVD-o-vision.

First released on DVD back in 2003, the disc contained no extra features so surely a re-release would sort that, particularly considering the abundance of archive information available at websites such as the Super Mario Bros. Movie Archive. Lamentably no, as the new re-release includes nothing new over the original; there isn't even an anamorphic widescreen mode.

The difference between the two, then? The box, which now offers a slightly different ordering of tagline, artwork and logo. Exciting news for anyone yet to own this classic piece of Nintendo cinema.

[via examiner.com]

FunderThucker

FunderThucker said:

My only complaint with this movie was with that horrible box art. Glad that's settled, thanks Nintendo.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I found this in the 5 dollar bin at Wal-mart and picked it up A few years ago. So I really dont need it. If it had special features than I would of. Kinda disappointing that it doesnt.

Link79

Link79 said:

I'm one of those weirdo's who actually slightly enjoyed this movie.
I liked it alot more as a kid but now I realize It is pretty dumb. Then again if people didn't enjoy a little stupidity in their movies now and then Michael bay would be out of a job. Transformers anyone? Anyway The Mario movie isn't the worst video game movie I ever saw. That title goes to Double Dragon.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Still no widescreen? Boo! I already have the previous DVD release, and I'm obviously not going to rebuy it if all they're going to do is slightly change the box. Come on, guys, bring out a fully featured Blu-Ray release, not this slop!

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

Lol; yes, this IS a must have! It's sad to remember that I was four when this movie was first released in movie theaters and now I'm almost 23, this movie was terrible when I saw it again at the age of 12, I'd hate to see it now....

madgear

madgear said:

I don't think you can compare Transformers to Super Mario Bros. I found Transformers to be a thoroughly enjoyable film with a huge dose of nostalgia. Super Mario Bros is simply one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Sean007s

Sean007s said:

This wasn't even a bad film.
I loved it as a kid.
Even now,I'd say its still good for a family movie.

But oh well,once someone says it's terrible in their loud voice,the rest will soon follow.

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

Link79 wrote:

Hey, I happen to be a huge Transfan, and I like the Bay TF movies! Of course, I do like the SMB film restrictively as a movie with absolutely zero to do with the Mario franchise other than a few recycled names!

DiggerandIndy

DiggerandIndy said:

I've only watched bits and parts of the movie, and, to put it charitably, it should've been better off an animated movie.

Rensch

Rensch said:

This movie shouldn't be watched in widescreen, let alone in HD or have any added DVD extra's. The reason for this is that one should experience its afwulness and cheesiness to the full extent.

Punny

Punny said:

Ooh! A re-release where the only difference is the box art! Lame change, lame movie. I would rather have a translated version of the Super Mario Bros. anime movie.

fireyoshi09

fireyoshi09 said:

you're right punnyguy, its just the box that is changed, and its still a lame bad moive, shame....

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Rensch: What could be cheesier than watching it in HD?:D

I like this movie; the trick is to not compare it too much to the games. Try to treat it as the hilarious absurdity it is, and it's enjoyable.:)

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Sweet lord this movie is bad. So terrible that's not even fun to watch even just to make fun of.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

I think I'll stay with the Super Show seasion collections. At least Luigi has a moustache in that one. ( and he is Don Knotts)

piguy101

piguy101 said:

It looks much higher tech now thanks to the newly redesigned and revamped box.

motang

motang said:

I would like to know how much they actually will sell this crappy movie!

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

Great... They are re-releasing this POS of a movie again...:|

They should have changed the quote "It's A Blast!" to "It's A Bust!". Now that's a worthy change to the boxart.

I'm sorry, but I hate this movie with a passion, even as a kid when I first watched it. It's just an embarrassment to the Mario franchise, the fans, and Nintendo. I never believed in the “It’s so bad, it’s good!” garbage with any movie, including this one. If it’s poorly acted, cheesy, poorly written, terrible special effects (for its time), is butchering the original source (i.e., a movie like this one), and poorly made in general. Then I won't like it and would never want to see it ever again.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Strange my copy of the DVD looks like nether of the two versions here.
I guess us Australians got a very special over art then

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

@Kawaiipikachu: Or some pirate made a very special cover art for you...

From the looks of it, it sounds like it's the same disc in a new box. It's a disgrace that a new DVD published in 2010 does not have Widescreen support, considering a lot of people (including me) have a Widescreen TV.

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

To those of you who enjoyed the Mario Bros. movie, I apologize for being loudmouthed and rude; it's only my opinion just like your opinion is only yours....

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@SilverBlacktail: Nowadays, it's more likely a movie IS a bootleg if it bothers to stick that logo in the corner there.:P

@Daisaku36: It's cool, man; I'm sure all of the movie's fans are MORE than well aware that we're in an extremely small minority. Besides which, a lot of these comments have been a lot more mean-spirited towards the movie than yours.

Ravage

Ravage said:

I enjoyed this movie for what it was. I should watch it again sometime.

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

Holly crap, i dont have this on DVD. I need it. My VHS doesn't work so cant watch that version. Denis Hopper was the bomb in this movie. I know i speak for all of us when i say I NEED this! I love this movie.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

My only complaint is that Christopher Walken didn't play King Kooper.

Omega

Omega said:

I agree with Kawaiipikachu. The version which I bought in germany looks also different than the two here. So there must be at least three different box arts.
Front Cover

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

4. Link79 put it best, Double Dragon was INDEED the WORST videogame movie I have EVER seen, with DOA being next, then maybe SMB (followed closely by SF and RE). If it weren't for the overly unnecessary zoom shot of Alyssa Milano's rear as she scooted into that drain pipe, or of course the very popular Robert Patrick playing Shadow Boss at that time, then DD would have absolutely NO redeeming qualities whatsoever, lol :P

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

Why did they never make a game based on the movie? Like Street Fighter the movie the arcade game! It would have been glorious!

greenellow

greenellow said:

thank god they finally fixed the awful dvd box art of the first release after 7 years

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

I'm guessing the Washington Post has long regretted calling the film "a blast". It was a bomb alright.