Hanabi Festival 5 to Happen Soon?

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Nintendo of Europe's site seems to suggest so

A handful of new import titles were recently given ratings by the OFLC, leading many to believe that Europe and Australia would be on their way to the fifth Hanabi Festival, and thus another nice batch of import Virtual Console games.

Nintendo of Europe has now practically confirmed that this will be happening soon, as they've added four import titles to their VC game list, all marked with a "coming soon" tag. It looks like a 50-50 split this time – two of the titles aren't really good, but the other two will easily be among the best imports available.

The four imports which should be coming soon are:

• Castlevania: Rondo of Blood – Turbografx CD. Never released outside Japan until quite recently, this could very well be the most requested import yet.
  • Ironclad – Neo Geo. The very first Neo Geo import, it's an awesome shoot 'em up with great graphics and music.
  • Lode Runner – NES. One of the oldest versions of the game available. Battle Lode Runner has been available for ages and is better, so don't bother with this one!
  • Milon's Secret Castle – NES. DoReMi Fantasy's predecessor, which is pretty much completely based around trial and error gameplay. Not very good!

So, who's willing to place bets on when these will be released? Perhaps this week? Maybe not until next month?

[via nintendo.co.uk]

Related Games

Rensch

Rensch said:

Where is Chrono Trigger. They rip us off by making us pay for a DS version. (which kicks, dont get me wrong)

Smileoscar

Smileoscar said:

No Final Fantasy I see...I guess that means I'll buy the iPhone version after all.
Adamant,don't reply on this comment and tell me that the NES version is the best one,k? :P

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Just Rondo of Blood for me out of that list. I'm surprised there's only four though; should be more. And there are hundreds of games yet to appear on the VC, not just Chrono Trigger.

Oregano

Oregano said:

@Smileoscar - I think the Dawn of Souls version for the GBA is actually the best, I don't think the PSP/iphone version have the bonus content but they have nice sprites.:D

-TR

-TR said:

EARTHBOUND, EARTHBOUND, EARTHBOUND, EARTHBOUND, EARTHBOUND, EARTHBOUND, EARTHBOUND, EARTHBOUND, EARTHBOUND, EARTHBOUND, EARTHBOUND, EARTHBOUND!!

antster1983

antster1983 said:

I'd rather watch Angry Video Game Nerd's review of Milon's Secret Castle again than play it :P

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

A Hanabi festival would be nice since Virtual Console is starving nowadays (especially in Europe). :( Rondo of Blood would be a must buy for me, I'm unfortunately not interested in the other games though (I will consider Ironclad maybe).

Nintendo should definitely support the Virtual Console again. It's really sad to see only two games released per month. At the time WiiWare was launched I thought it couldn't hurt to have an additional (!!!) service for Wii users. I didn't expect that Nintendo would even consider replacing Virtual Console releases with WiiWare games in the long run. I mean Virtual Console was the main feature of Wii why many gamers bought the console at launch time and afterwards (despite waggle controls and outdated hardware).

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Like everyone else said this can't be all, what about Ogre Battle, FFI, FF"II"...

Nice to see Rondo of Blood at long, long last.

WanderFan91 said:

I recently played through Akumajou Dracula X Chi no Rondo, and I still found it as good as I did back when I first played it in 2007 on Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. :) I got 100%, again!! :)

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope we get more than these four. Aren't ogre battle 64, the final fantasy series and princess tomato in the salad kingdom supposed to be coming soon. It would also be nice if we get a few suprise like the mother series.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

It would be nice if these four games were released over two weeks and they have yet to add a third week's games. But I think that would be hoping for too much.

WanderFan91 said:

NES Lode Runner wasn't released in Europe? Huh. Could've sworn it was. I had fun with it when I was little. :)

madgear

madgear said:

OK this is good news - I just hope we get Mario Kart this weekend before it starts. If not my Mario Kart points (which I've had on my Wii since bloody November now!) will be going on Rondo. At least they'll be gone - there's no time limit on when you have to use them is there?

jaguarman

jaguarman said:

Rondo of blood , my dreams come true at last, i can not wait for this game, easily is the best 16 bit castlevania version of all time.-

WanderFan91 said:

Technically Akumajou Dracula X Chi no Rondo was released on an 8-bit console with 16-bit hardware. Still, it's nice to hear that it's coming to the Western VC. :)

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Hudson usually list the TG games coming in the month on their VC website on the 1st, so unless Nintendo have told them to shut their trap, then it could be April...

Croz

Croz said:

Will be getting Rondo for sure, Ironclad is going on the maybe list, too many other games to play first. I'd like to see Orge battle 64, really got into the snes version.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

NA's had Milon's Secret Castle and Lode Runner for a couple of years. Better late than never for Europe.

WanderFan91 said:

Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos was known in Europe as Shadow Warriors II. I still don't understand why it was considered taboo in the '90s for Europeans to use the word "ninja".

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Finally its coming out. The journeys nearly at the end for me with VC. Rondo of blood and then after that any decent arcade games that come out.

jaguarman

jaguarman said:

Yes starboy you have right ;) but is the best 16 bit version ever :) miles better than the snes and megadive versions of castlevania series.

Adamant

Adamant said:

@StarBoy91: It was largely Germany, not Europe as a whole, but since we got the same releases, we got stuck with the censorship, too. Germany still gets horribly censored games nowadays, but they generally stay in that country so other Europeans don't have to suffer.

@Adamant - oh.
@jaguarman - I concur that it's better than Super Castlevania IV (imo), but I've still yet to experience Castlevania Bloodlines/A New Generation (MegaDrive) and Akmajou Dracula XX/Castlevania: Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss (SNES).

jaguarman

jaguarman said:

Adamant you have right.The Germany has to many taboos about video games :( but the rest of EU countries thanx god not.

WanderFan91 said:

Now everyone (well, almost everyone) will get to experience what it's like to play as Maria Renard and cheese through the game as her (especially with her secret, ultra powerful move).
Though, personally, I like the game more challenging when I play as Richter. Hooray for backflips! :D :)

WanderFan91 said:

Also, hooray for Item Crashes and anime cutscenes and alternate pathways. :)
Boo to the fact that Dracula is very easy when either defeated by Richter or Maria. :(

WanderFan91 said:

The sequel, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, is my favorite Castlevania ever; and Akumajou Dracula X Chi no Rondo is my second favorite in the series. :) :) :) :) :) :)

jaguarman

jaguarman said:

The best version Astroboy of castlevania symphony of the night is saturn version.

Jeroen1

Jeroen1 said:

I already played Rondo of Blood on my PSP (Dracula X Chronicles). Not as engaging as Castlevania IV, but the branching paths and multiple characters make for an interesting game.

said:

I don't really see the big deal about Rondo. I think Bloodlines is the best older Castlevania title.

WanderFan91 said:

By the way, is Castlevania Bloodlines really that good? I've been wanting to try that game for years.

WanderFan91 said:

It's amazing how, despite Maria being a cute character, it works so well in a dark-themed game.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

I wish they'd put as much care into their "Hanabi Festival" as Microsoft does with their Xbox Live Arcade promotions (like their "Summer of games" last year that gave us Shadow Complex and Trials HD). Also, I wish they'd do this here in the 'states, seeing as how we haven't gotten an import in a looooooooooong time.

And with Sunsoft back in action (somewhat), I can think of no better time to bring over gems like Gimmick and Ufouria. Which I believe both came out in the EU already, but to us Americans they'd be new. I really don't wanna have to resort to emulating them. A PC is a poor excuse for an NES, even with a controller. One machine was designed for games, the other was designed for...spreadsheets and stuff. It'd just be far superior to have it on Wii...

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

@Vinsanity: You forgot "The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition", "Splosion Man" and "Battlefield 1943". Summer of Arcade was really awesome last year. :) I don't understand why Nintendo can't boost Virtual Console like this. :(

Kurachi

Kurachi said:

aww, no FFIV this hanabi (or isnt it official yet?)
thats the only import i'm waiting for which makes it to VC

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

It will be interesting to see if Ironclad follows the standard Hanabi template of giving PAL gamers the original version running in 60hz or treads the dubious downgraded 50hz path of SEGA's Hanabi imports.

Rerun

Rerun said:

Rondo of Blood and Ironclad are sure downloads for me. I just hope that it comes out in NA soon.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Where's Super Mario Kart?
Mario All Stars Please Nintendo.

bestbuck

bestbuck said:

Yippee.. NOT.
Where's Super Mario Kart?
@Pj Mario All Stars is not going to Happen, need to get realistic.

WanderFan91 said:

All four games (the original NES and FamiCom Disk System games) that are on Super Mario All-Stars are already on the Virtual Console.

Also, ain't that anime cutscene in Akumajou Dracula X Chi no Rondo where Richter meets Maria for the first time so cute? :3

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Super Mario Kart isn't an import, why would it appear in a Hanabi Festival? :p

WanderFan91 said:

Oh, did I forget to mention that Akumajou Dracula X Chi no Rondo has the most dazzling parallax scrolling I've seen from the PC-Engine? :)
No offense, Star Parodier.