First Impressions: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Posted by James Newton

Truly spacial

Super Mario Galaxy 2 had by far the biggest queues of the day, with a cordoned area showcasing the plumber's latest adventure. Our crafty writers, however, took advantage of everyone else's hunger by striking when most other journalists were stopping for lunch, managing to get a good half an hour of hands-on time. With such high hopes surrounding the sequel to arguably one of Mario's greatest adventures, it's a pleasure to be able to tell you it absolutely lives up to expectations.

With a range of levels available we were able to try out almost all of the new additions, the most prominent being the inclusion of Yoshi. The little green dinosaur can chew on blueberries and red peppers laid around the courses, which both grant him special powers: eating a blueberry fills him with air sending him floating upwards, whereas the spicy pepper sets him racing ahead at breakneck speed. One stage challenges you to sprint up vertical slopes and avoid the perils of a dangerous course, with one hit sending Yoshi plummeting to the ground and back to the last checkpoint flag. The blueberry is reminiscent of Balloon Mario from previous plumbing titles, and is used in some devious mazes, with one around a revolving log standing out in particular.

It's not all dinosaur-based action in Galaxy 2, however. Those who complained about the first game being too easy will be thrilled at the inclusion of some very tough levels, with the latest available level presenting a stern challenge to even these experienced gamers. Mario doesn't seem to have too many new moves: we were told of a new longer jump that seemed almost identical to the slide jump from previous entries, and the all-new drill power-up wasn't used in the truly game-changing fashion that perhaps it will be later on.

There's no way around it - Super Mario Galaxy 2 is going to be a must-have game and one that looks set to exceed the high standard set by its predecessor. With a European release date set for June 11th there's only a few months to go until we can get our hands on Nintendo's latest masterpiece again.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'm was worried that it would be too similar and not as good as the first one but from these impressions it seems like theres nothing to worry about.

Crystalking18

Crystalking18 said:

I actually lost some interest in this game, but with the release date so soon, I can't stop thinking about it!

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Wow, this is great to hear. Can't wait to get this game in my hands, plus June doesn't seem very far away. I really like the boxart, as well.

Blue_Cat

Blue_Cat said:

SMG 1 was my favorite game on the wii! I'll probably get this for my birthday, as it's coming out around that time :D

Luigi-La-Bouncy

Luigi-La-Bouncy said:

I seriously can not wait for this, it's something truly fantastic to look forward to. I'm so jealous of you guys who got to play, but I can't wait to have it at home with a bit of me time.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

"The blueberry is reminiscent of Balloon Mario from Super Mario 64 . . ."

Don't you mean Super Mario 64 DS? ;)

James

James said:

@Warioswoods - Duly noted. I'll edit that tomorrow.

There's some great level design in this one, my favourite being Supermassive Galaxy where everything's enormous: Goombas, Koopas, even coins! It's still full of original ideas and I really think you guys are going to love it. I know I'm chewing off my fingers in anticipation of its release!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@Prosody

Ooh, I wonder if that Supermassive Galaxy will have portals where it switches back to a tiny size, the way they handled it in Mario 64 (and that one stage in Mario 3).

AVahne

AVahne said:

can't wait, i wonder what the new hub world will be, since Rosalina might not be in this

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

And thus Mario continues to be very spectacular in the video game world. He will never die. NEVER!!!

JoeDiddley

JoeDiddley said:

I don't mind the game being a bit harder than too hard. I'm so used to 2d platforms that SMG1 is the only 3d platformer that I am any good at.

Machu

Machu said:

It just looks amazing, simple as. Anyone not interested in this needs to check their pulse.

I love you Mario! :*

Mr_G

Mr_G said:

tatsunoko vs capcom, res steel 2, no more heroes 2, blue ocean 2, sin & punishment 2, mario galaxy 2, metroid other m, monster hunter tri and many more and this is all before we even see E3 and the new zelda. BEST YEAR EVER FOR WII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supermegaman

Supermegaman said:

Well Im impressed! I think nintendo is doing a nice job of giving us more of the same, but keeping it nice and different. Easily one of the best games of 2010. Unless nintendo decides to announce more awesomeness by the end of the year :D

Ren

Ren said:

I love that sequels are so much better in video games, since movie sequels tend to be a death sentence. It's nice to have some entertainment that moves forward cautiously with technology.

Knux

Knux said:

YES!! This game is going to be the best Wii and possibly Mario game ever!! DO WANT!! :D

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

Kelvin: Don't remind me of that, it caused me just as many deaths as the ball of certain doom as well, speaking of which I hope they removed that from the game too.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@Ren - I agree totally!

I can't decide if this game is going to be a pile of awesome smothered in winsauce, or a massive hunk of win smothered in awesomesauce. Either way, I am super psyched now for this game! I just wish it weren't releasing so early, so I could play it when it first released.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

Supermarioman I never had trouble with the ball, and in fact I quite liked it; the only thing that annoyed me about the ball was that it showed how well Katamari Damacy would work with Wii controls. :(

That spring suit though, that can go all the way to heck for all I care!

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Kelvin. Totally agree with you about the Spring Suit. Without a doubt the worst suit in Mario history. I lost count of how many times I would randomly bounce against a wall and plummet to my death. :( I pray they also get rid of the Ray of certain doom as well.

This game just keeps looking better and better! Thankfully there's a few 360 games I still need to buy that'll tide me over for 4 months.

vakama94

vakama94 said:

i really didn´t play the first mario galaxy game, but maybe just maaaybe i´ll give it a try, i prefer 2D mario game though

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

In the words of Quagmire:
"Giggidy... Giggidy, Giggidy..."

Yahoo!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

But I sure hope Rosalina's in it...

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

vakama94, in general, I much prefer 2D platformers, but Super Mario Galaxy is definitely worth it.

Hyperstar96, I know! I have finished SMG, as in I've got to the end and defeated Bowser, but I'm nowhere near 100% completion, and I've had the game since it came out!

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

@Hyperstar96 It all depends on how well your Mario skills are. I found it far too easy, another reason why I liked Sunshine more.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Galaxy 1 was a beautiful gaming experience for my family and I. It looks like Galaxy 2 will be as well. Brilliant! Thanks for the impressions on a potentially all time great video game