Castlevania: Rondo of Blood Getting Long Overdue Western Release

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

The OFLC delivers the goods once again.

It is because of today's daily OFLC update that we know two more import titles making their way to a Virtual Console near you sometime in the future. And one of them is none other than one of the best Castlevania titles ever crafted.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood was released on Virtual Console way back in April 2008. That is, in Japan - When asked about a possible import western release of the game, Konami commented that the game contained quite a lot of Japanese, both in text and voice acting, and since translations are not allowed for import games (To preserve the feeling you're truly playing a game you never got), they were unsure if it would ever happen.

Well, it turns out that it is happening! As you can quite clearly see here, the game has been approved and is completely ready for release whenever Nintendo sees fit. Will it be this week, as Christmas surprise? Will it be next Halloween? Will it be in 2 years? We'll just have to wait and see, but at least we know it's definitely coming now!

Slightly less surprising is the rating of Ironclad. Released in Japan as Chōtetsu Brikin'ger, it was originally planned for release in North America (As Ironclad), but it never happened. However, strangely, if you were to import it and place it in a North American Neo Geo system, the game would actually play and display its English title! Because of this, we're not quite sure if it will be considered an import or not, but if it is, it would make it the first Neo Geo import on VC. We actually thought it wouldn't be released and reviewed the Japanese version not too long ago - Give it another read and see why it might be one to put on your wishlist.

Will you be downloading either of these highly praised import titles when they're available?

Related Games

Aenaida

Aenaida said:

I'm more interested in Ironclad than Castlevania, but I'll undoubtedly be purchasing both in the future. Great news.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

About time. But why did Konami said translation wasn't allowed when Nintendo shamelessly translated the menu screen of Sin & Punishment for the North American and European version?

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@SSBF: S&P was originally planned for western release, the English menu and tutorial are simply remnants from the original English translation.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

This is a Zombieland style 'double tap' piece of brilliant news! I have Castlevania: Rondo of Blood on my PSP, but it looks quite pixelated when I hook it up to my LCD, so I would get a Virtual Console version, too. Plus, since Sean's review I have been looking forward to the chance to play Chōtetsu Brikin'ger. Cheers @Drake.

WanderFan91 said:

Akumajou Dracula X Chi no Rondo is a good game with neat anime cutscenes. :) The soundtrack is also good.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@SSBF: Pretty sure the menu and tutorial were the only things planned for translation originally, all dialogue is in English after all.

Objection

Objection said:

"since translations are not allowed for import games (To preserve the feeling you're truly playing a game you never got"
That is one of the dumbest things I have heard.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I'll download it if it hits the US, if only to see what the heck all this hype is about.

WanderFan91 said:

Actually, Blaster, I kind of concur with that statement. Sure, many people complained about the glaring lack of translation in the SFC game DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure (BEST PLATFORMER EVER, imo), but I actually didn't mind. It gave me a sense of being in an unknown fantasy world with a language out of this world. :)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

It's long overdue but at least we know it's coming now. I would've been honestly shocked if this highly requested import title never showed up. Nintendo, Konami and Hudson all know we want it, so it only makes sense. As for the translation business, I don't think that was ever a real issue. All the menu items are in English, so it's still perfectly playable to those who don't speak Japanese. I'd say it's even more so than the already intenationally released DoReMi Adventure game in fact.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I don't care if it IS Nintendo's "reasoning," it's still total BS! I do NOT play games that are still in Japanese...especially when I have to pay a premium for them over the VC release of anything that's already in English. I had previously thought that developers were given the option, though...isn't that what Corbie said?

WanderFan91 said:

Star Parodier (my number one fave game) was still Japanese (even though it was meant to get an American release before it got cancelled), and I thoroughly enjoy it. I also like Detana! TwinBee. The voice acting doesn't detract from the gameplay.

WanderFan91 said:

All that aside, glad to see Akumajou Dracula X Chi no Rondo get a release outside Japan (and on a big screen). The PSP Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles is a good adaptation (Old > New).

WanderFan91 said:

Now many people will get a chance to play as Maria Renard as well. She's quite powerful, more than Richter.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I'll get this for sure! Castlevania FTW!

I will also be seeking a translation guide somewhere though, which is a pain

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Chunky Droid: You're telling me! I never did manage to find a translation guide for Do Re Mi Fantasy...though that might be because there's a readily available fan translation of the game itself online. Not much help for VC players though, now is it?

said:

I'll get Castlevania Bien sur! =D

Ironclad...looks interesting.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Don't they still have Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth to come out with?

...oh well. Twice as nice now! All together now...

...HECKZ YEAHZ!

timp29

timp29 said:

This might make up for the Christmas shenanigans, but if they sit on this until Halloween, I need some euros to riot outside the NoE headquarters Copenhagen style.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Rondo of Blood AND the return of Neo Geo on the VC? I'm happier about this news than our VC update yesterday!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

They'd best bring this to the US with haste, I've been waiting for ages. Forget Smash, this is the real classic worth waiting for on the VC.

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Yes. I love this. What news. Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the game Ive been waiting for.

WanderFan91 said:

Stage designs, without revealing anything, in Dracula X (Turbo Duo) are exceptionally done.

edofthe209

edofthe209 said:

My wii points will gladly take as much Castlevania as they can put out! Now if I could just beat Dracula's Curse. Stupid pirate ship.

WanderFan91 said:

Wonder if this means the SNES game, not version, will be released sometime in the future?

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Yes! Ironclad rating! I hope it gets ESRB rated soon too! And then actually released soon after that.

As for Rondo of Blood, I'm glad it finally got a rating somewhere. I just hope Bloodlines follows soon after.

WanderFan91 said:

Castlevania Bloodlines/A New Generation {NA/EU} is a game I need to play. I've been curious about it for so many years, and I heard it was challenging. :) Also, the music is one of the MegaDrive's best (from what I heard).

b00k3

b00k3 said:

@SmileOscar: I thought I saw Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles on PSN for $15 this week? Should work on your Go, no? I got the UMD for the same price 6 months ago.

It costs a bit more on PSP, but comes with two versions of Rondo, plus Symphony of the Night, and online (ad hoc) boss rush mode (haven't tried yet). I feel no remorse over having bought it. Yet.

Mach-X

Mach-X said:

Wait OFLC is australia's rating body. Does that automatically mean we'll see it in EU/NA at some point? Or are we still just hoping here. Just don't want to get my hopes up too much XD

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

Thank god, I'm a huge old-school Castlevania fan and I've been waiting for this forever! Granted I do have the original Rondo for the TGCD (But not Turbo Duo to play it on) and I have Castlevania Chronicles on the PSP, but for some reason i really want to give the game a home on the virtual console with the rest of the Castlevania series.

Now we just need Bloodlines, the US version of Dracula X, and I would personally love to see Legacy of Darkness (my personal favorite Castlevania game) on the Virtual Console. Though for that last one it'd have to be some weird thing where they take the Japanese version (which allowed you to save your game onto the cart) with the English localization (which had you using an N64 memory card, which isn't supported on the VC for some reason).

Terra

Terra said:

My bets are on a Hanabi Festival soon. I'm pretty sure there's enough import games that we know about for that to happen now

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

First things first. Having played this game im positive that this is already better then Castlevania the rebirth. Wait till you hear the soundtrack.

Secondly, they are not gonna interfere with code thats years out of date to translate it. Do people complain that have paid serious money to have this on import already. If you cant deal with the language, dont buy it and let hard core gamers play it. Stick to casual games like super smash brothers 64.

Donatello

Donatello said:

awesome news! I never played Dracula X....And apperantly it's just decent, but clearly the better version 'Rondo of Blood' is supposed to be fantastic. Day one purchase for me. Hopefully they release Bloodlines as well since i havent played that one either.

madgear

madgear said:

Oh just transtlate the bloody thing. We don't need to preserve the original feel when hardly any of us played it originally anyway - and it'd make it a more enjoyable experience if we knew what was going on.

I don't see the problem with translating old import titles and releasing them on the VC. Everything else is intact - the graphics, the music, the gamplay - just we also know what the hell is going on. Don't give me all this elite "let hardcore gamers play it" - if I want to play Rondo of Blood but with English text then that's what I want to do. The fact I actually want to read the text too doesn't make me a casual gamer - or should I have just learnt Japanese for the sole purpose of a few forgotten imports?

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I don't understand how a translation would be relevant. I can play Dracula Legend: Rebirth without translation just fine; I'm unable to read the story scrawl at the beginning, but who cares, it's an action platformer not an RPG!

If I didn't already have my Castlevania quota filled with SCIV and DL:R I'd already have this, but frankly I don't feel the need for a 3rd Castlevania game...

moomoo

moomoo said:

You lucky Europeans. This is one of the best games on the Turbografx/PC Engine CD systems, if not, the best. I have it on my Turbografx, and it's awesome. When it comes out, have no hesitation an buy it! :)

WanderFan91 said:

I agree with you, Sean (congrats on the gold badge, btw). I can play DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure, Star Parodier, and Detana! TwinBee without translation and still have fun. Who needs translation when it comes to platformers and shmups or cute'em ups when you can have fun? :) Fun is fun! :D :)

Don't let the lack of a translation keep you from having fun.

evilralfwiggum

evilralfwiggum said:

Already got the PSP game with Rondo of Blood.. and don't plan on getting rid of it. They need to release Castlevania Bloodlines :D

WonderboY101

WonderboY101 said:

Wonder when us Europeans will get Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Classification/Ratings don't mean a whole lot to me anymore. Konami still haven't given us Life Force. Heck, we still don't have Axelay yet and that's been rated on PEGI's website for absolutely ages.

I feel bad that Europe doesn't have LifeForce and Axelay. :(
Hope Europe sees these games on the VC someday.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

'Who needs translations for platformers and shmups...?" I do. I had to stop playing Do Re Mi Fantasy because the Japanese text was bothering me too much. The only game I can tolerate NO translation on is Tingle's Balloon Fight DS, and that's only because there is quite literally NO story to that; just a couple simple-to-memorize menus.

I'm getting REALLY tired of being persecuted for this point of view, too. Not from you, StarBoy...you just stated an opinion. I'm talking more about the BS outrun2sp posted...that kind of thing.:|

WanderFan91 said:

I would never bash anyone for having a different opinion on something. I respect people's point of views. To each his own, I always say. I respect your opinion on the subject, Stuffgamer.
I always respect opinions. And I try to always sound like I respect opinions, 'cause I do respect them. :(

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I know, StarBoy. That's why I put a disclaimer absolving you from blame in my post. You're a good guy, and I'd NEVER assume you were intentionally being mean in any way.:)

WanderFan91 said:

Thanks, Stuffgamer. :) You're a good guy, too.

Richter is my favorite Belmont. Backflips FTW!

jbrodack

jbrodack said:

castlevania better be translated. Unless it really is nintendo policy not translating games just reeks of laziness. I could play original japanese roms anytime but a translation is something different especially since fan translations never really got far for that game.

Excited about ironclad too. More rare games like this are what I'd like to see more of on the VC.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Actually, the translation policy was due to translation not being monetarily feasible (though, if they could, they would let fans translate the games for them).

Either way, I REALLY want the game translated.