Podcast: NLFM Episode 1 - Open For Business!

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

We kick off our first game/chip music podcast with YMCK, Anamanaguchi, Metroid Metal and more!

Welcome to the first episode of NLFM, the new monthly Nintendo Life podcast focused on music from and inspired by video games!

We feel game and chip music doesn't get the credit it deserves a lot of the time, so we decided to kickstart our own show spotlighting this often overlooked but hugely important aspect of our hobby.

NLFM will generally focus on music from games playable on Nintendo consoles and handhelds, which, thanks to the Virtual Console, also includes the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and Master System, Turbografx-16, Neo Geo and Commodore 64. We'll also highlight video game-inspired bands and songs to round it all out.

We've got a rompin', stompin' face-melter of an episode to kick off the show, so here's the tracklist for this month:

1. YMCK - Bowser’s Castle Remix (Pictobits)
2. Bit Shifter - Easy Prey
3. Anamanaguchi - Blackout City
4. Earthbound - Otherworldly Foe
5. World of Goo - Regurgitation Pumping Station
6. Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure - The Butler Did It
7. Bandy Leggz - You Don’t Know Me (MadWorld)
8. Metroid Metal - Ridley's Theme
9. JDDJ3J - Aerodynamic

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

To avoid the gnashing of teeth that comes with missing podcast episodes, subscribe to our Podcast feed (using iTunes) or download it using this direct link here. You can also find us on iTunes, so show the podcast some love as there is plenty more good stuff lined up for the future.

Like the show? Got a request you want played? Let us know in the comments below!

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I can't wait to download this puppy. Please keep it up; this is destined to become my favorite podcast.

Machu

Machu said:

Looks like a nice selection, downloading now, I'll listen to it next time I'm cheesin' at the poota. Thanks dude!

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Great work Jonny boy, this is a mighty fine listen indeed. I can't wait for your next episode :-)

James

James said:

Great stuff Jon, it's awesome to see this up there after all your hard work on it. Roll on episode two!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Brilliant, love it! Requests: anything from the Opoona soundtrack; ditto for Tenchu Shadow Assassins.

Title track to Activision Anthology would also be choice; the Intellivision Lives! song "I want my Intellivision" would be excellent as well.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Awesome stuff.

Requests:
Anything from Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story Superstar Saga (Chains hungry pilgrims with axes to this post in order to protect it from crazy turkeys)
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Galaxy

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Request:
The intro theme from Majora's Mask.
Actually, I have a really great orchestrated studio version of that, if you want it...

EDIT: PM, I fixed your post. You accidentally had Superstar Saga in there!

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Great picks. I didn't know there was so much more to the WOG song, because I've always finished the stages before the song ended. But I've heard the beginning MANY times, if you catch my drift...
Request: I'd like something from Golden Sun, if you've ever played that game... Best music of any GBA release! One of my favorites is the Venus Lighthouse theme;

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

@Pics L. Man i actually really enjoyed the Bowser's Inside Story music, the Toad Town music is officially stuck in my head

And we also need the Tetris theme on here!

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

THIS IS AWESOME. SERIOUSLY. I LOVE IT.
DOWNLOADING. LIKE, NOW.
EDIT: OH, YEAH... MORE!!!1

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

@pixelman: i can agree with you on that, but that doesnt mean that the Bowser's Inside Story soundtrack is bad in any way, shape, or form

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Absolutely fantastic work on that Jon. Loved every second of it. Keep 'em coming! :)

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

Super Smash Bros. Theme?
Ocarina of Time Medley?
Mega Man 2 THeme?
Anything from TWEWY?
Awesome though

Stevie

Stevie said:

Yay, I really enjoyed that, well done Panda!!!!

I have a request for the next episode, it is the music from the first level of Mega Turrican, it is my favorite chip tune ever Here is the link to a Youtube vid of it so you can check it out.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

That was incredible! Very nice job Panda; you make an excellent DJ too. Keep up the good work.:)

EDIT: @Stevie: I agree, we definitely need some music from the Turrican series on here. Mega Turrican and Super Turrican had some really awesome music. I would like to request the level 1 music from Turrican II on the Amiga.:)

irken004

irken004 said:

Good job guys! The Adventures of Duane and Brando would be a great band to add :)

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I would like to request the following:
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin-Victorian Fear
Sigma Star Saga-Ice Planet Battle
The Guardian Legend-Intro Music
Metroid Prime-Magmoor Caverns
Professor Layton-The Great Don Paolo
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney-Cornered

Mabbit

Mabbit said:

@32, i dont think that would be very "all age" :D
can you include more 8 bit tracks? i love those

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

Cool.
Hmm, requests...I'll make three.

Streets of Rage (1st level, 1st game)
Dezant ('1st' level of Lords of Thunder, Turbo/PC-engine version)
Something decent made with the Korg DS-10

vakama94

vakama94 said:

ditto with silverstone14, also, my requests are: metroid metal-the tunnel and silver surfer nes title screen theme

Aenaida
Knux

Knux said:

AWESOME MUSIC!

Games' music requests:
Chrono Trigger
Bowser's Inside Story (especially the final boss music)!
Super Mario 64
Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario and Paper Mario:TTYD
The 8-bit Mega Man games
The 16-bit Sonic games

If any remixes of those games' music were made on NL, that would be AWESOME! :)

Ski_Deuce

Ski_Deuce said:

Nice job Jonathan. Fun music. My college roommate actually has a CD by YMCK. There's a lot of reverb on your voice though. Is that the room you're in or is it an effect you applied? If it's an effect, I'd turn it down. It makes you sound further away. It it's the room, you might be able to do a little noise removal.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

@Ski Deuce: I recorded it in Garageband with a Rock Band mic. The room shouldn't have any sound problems, so I suspect it's a combination of cheap mic with a crappy sound filter and possibly some reverb snuck in by Garageband. I never actually noticed the reverb TBH, but I'll keep it in mind for E1M2.