Nintendo of Europe Announces April-July WiiWare / DSiWare Lineup

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Cave Story and others coming soon!

For the first time in, uh, well, forever, Nintendo of Europe has decided to give us a small glimpse of what we can look forward to in the next couple of months.

Note that list is not complete - For example, Square Enix announced only yesterday that Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Crystal Defenders R1 and R2 would be coming soon, but the only one out of those on the list is Crystal Defenders R1!

NoE's list is as follows:

WiiWare:

DSiWare:

Of course, NoE's Managing Director of Marketing & PR, Laurent Fischer, also takes a moment to gloat about how much of a success WiiWare is:

”We are pleased by how far WiiWare has come since its launch last year. Currently there are approximately 58 WiiWare games available in Europe, packed with exciting content available to download through the Wii Shop Channel. This just goes to demonstrate the breadth of creativity that Wii users now have access to. We are particularly pleased that WiiWare has enabled developers to make games on our platform which they may not have had a chance to do otherwise. Now that Nintendo DSiWare has launched across Europe we hope that the same principles of WiiWare will follow suit on the new handheld console, allowing a greater and diverse range of software and applications to be made available for users on the go.”

You can read detailed information about every game on Nintendo of Europe's site - Or just go to the individual game pages on our site!

[via nintendo.co.uk]

DaVeMaN99

DaVeMaN99 said:

Yeah i wish NA would release something like this so i know what to save up points for.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Icarian looks good. It's like a hybrid of Kid Icarus and LostWinds. Can't wait to see that, Cave Story and Squibs Arcade. :)

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

It's good to get some confirmation on Cave Story and Icarian. I was starting to think they'd never come out!

Overturn looks kind of cool, too. Reminds me a bit of Virtual-On. (That game was so friggin' cool. :P) And what's SpaceBall? The link just goes "Not Found, BAM!".

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

WHOHO! :D Cave Story confirmed for Europe! Oh god yes!

Edit: Hey, where the hell is Gradius?! It better come here anyway... Grrrr...

Terra

Terra said:

That was certainly a surprise. It's certainly nice to see that LIT is actually coming, as well as Mighty Flip Champs. I was particularly worried that we wouldn't get LIT after what WayForward said in that interview. However, I thought Adventure Island: The Beginning was being released in May. Wonder what happened there.

Oh, and also, Glad to see PICOPICT finally. I've been looking forward to that Art Style game

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Well, that's 12 games for 12 weeks?

Robocalypse? The DS version got some good reviews but the title makes it sound like this iteration is just tower defense, not a full RTS.

Spaceball?

I wonder if NoE told S-E that they've got too many games lined up and other publishers need a chance to get something released in that window too? E.g. Hudson only has Water Warfare listed (then again the list may simply be lacking since they've already announced Adventure Island).

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

SWORDS AND SOLDIERS!!!! ITS SWORDS AND SOLDIERS! YESSSS!!!!!!

And Cave Story. And Icarian.

This April will force me to drain my wallet free of cash made from my minimum wage job :)

Oh, and I know this is the NoE list, but that means we'll get it soon.

Adam

Adam said:

Man, that is one great looking release list, even without the missing Square titles. Glad you guys finally get to experience LIT. And I hope this means S&S, Kid Icarian, and Cave Story are coming here soon, too!

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

Yeah this is really pissing me off. Where's our Bubble Bobble? Cave Story? Majora's Mask? Swords and Soldiers? Seriously WTF.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

That's one nice list, but 12 games for 16 weeks? Does that mean they're stepping up WiiWare releases in EU as well?

Terra

Terra said:

Maybe at the end of July, we should compare the list of games here to what's actually released by NOE. See how well they stick to this list,

xesbeth

xesbeth said:

No Gradius, No Bit Trip, No Adventure Island. No wiiware for 4 months.

THAT JUST SUCKS BALLS!

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

It's a pretty sweet list. We can all complain about what's not there, but face it: there's a lot of awesome stuff coming your way!

I can only hope the US gets a lot of these, too...

goldwyvern

goldwyvern said:

PICOPICT looks great, plus cavestory and SQUIBBS arcade are looking AMAZING! A couple of fun looking titles finally come out for them and leave it to activision to make a most-likely fun mix of the children's game telephone and the dreaded retail DS release LOL (the worst DS game ever or so ive heard). Europe is really a lucky freakin bunch.

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

Why wait for reviews, when you can try it yourself a bit on the PC?
For me, after playing it on PC i actually got more anxious about it.
And yes it's like Metroid with a small bit of Castlevania and Mega Man.

Firkraag

Firkraag said:

That's nice of them, however i'm not impressed by the DSi lineup :< How about getting some A-grades out there for me to spend my hard-earne.. ahem free points on :)

Artheido

Artheido said:

Where's Dr. Mario and Moving Notepad on the DSiWare? D: From that list, PICOPICT looks the best. I'll be waiting...

Chipmunk777

Chipmunk777 said:

Wow Cave Story, Icarian, and Swords and Soldiers? Looks like a great couple of months for you all over in europe (and, hopefully us too!)

Viral

Viral said:

They can prematurly release the WiiWare games, but not the VC games? Load of rubbish.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

I can't help to think the list a bit short IMO when this might be ALL the games for a 4 month span. :

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Shimigami Tidus: Meat Boy isn't even due til around Q4, anyway.

As for the list it's great to see that we're getting LIT, Bonsai Barber, Cave Story, Water Warfare and Swords and Soldiers, but some glaring omissions and the lack of first party content is alarming. At least we can mark some of the missing games (New Adventure Island, Bubble Bobble) as mistakes, but two games that I'm disappointed about not being mentioned are Eduardo the Samurai Toaster and Bit.Trip BEAT.
As for DSiWare, we'd better (and probably will) get more than that (only one Art Style game? Pfft...). If we don't get Pop Plus Solo, for example, I won't be a happy bunny.

Still, there will probably be a few late submissions that Nintendo will shoehorn in every now and then, but we can only wait and see.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

There's definitely some good stuff in that list; as long as Bit.Trip.Beat is definitely coming I won't lose hope!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Oh great, that Lit comes to europe!

• glances list again *
    I can't beleive I missed that the first time :( The best news is the list is known to be incomplete (thanks Square-Enix) so I've still got hope for Groovin' Blocks and Bit Trip Beat.
Charlie_The_Unicorn

Charlie_The_Unicorn said:

That lineup does look cool! Cave Story, Swords & Soldiers, plus Picopict!
Also, Mighty Flip Champs looks awesome. It may possibly even be the Toki Tori of DSiWare.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

It would be nice for NOA to do a schedule like this. But why leave out the Virtual Console. I would love to see its upcoming releases as well

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

No Dr Mario DSi? No Bit Trip Beat? Bubble Bobble? PuzzleBobble? Mr Driller World or DSi? Night Game? Aaahh Well. Besides that not bad.
WiiWare games I'm interested in are Icarian, Water Warfare and Overturn
DSiWare games: Pictopict and Real Football.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Cave Story is the only one I'm interested in here.
Is there any news of a DSi VC yet?

SepticLemon

SepticLemon said:

ok, as much as I appreciate Cave Story, Bonsai Barber, PictoPic and Mixed Messages is comming out. Where the heck is my Gradius Rebirth, Bit Trip Beat, Evasive Space, and the rest of the Art Style series!?

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I hope they have at least one more N64 title...it seems that it's been somewhat neglected.

If not............BOO!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Overturn, Robocalypse, Swords & Soldier, and le pez de la resistance, Cave Story? This is gonna be a very good next couple of months

...for Europe.

Dynetheous

Dynetheous said:

This game looks AWSOME! I totaly want this game, but first I need to get wireless internet to download it.

Charlie_The_Unicorn

Charlie_The_Unicorn said:

Pop Plus and Made In Ore aren't on the list......

I still see us getting Pop Plus In America before then. The Wii version of POP came out in NA 2 months before it did so in Europe.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Pop Plus is near the top of my most wanted DSiWare list. Its more like "POP 2" than a rehash of wiiware pop.