Top 20 WiiWare Games in USA (4th Feb)

Posted by Corbie Dillard

It's Wednesday again which can only mean one thing. It's time to take a look at the most popular WiiWare titles available in the Wii Shop. If you're feeling adventurous you can even take a look for yourself by simply logging on to your Wii Shop channel, heading into the WiiWare section and then viewing "Popular Games". It's that simple! Trust us, if we can do it, anyone can.

We compile this list using the USA region Wii Shop channel, so if you live elsewhere your list will probably be quite a bit different. Please feel free to post your region's findings below as always.

Keep in mind that the list below is a measure of actual sales made recently, not of the total time the game has been available for sale.

Here is the list for the 4th of February:

16 (16) - Mega Man 9
17 (18) - Bomberman Blast
18 (17) - Frat Party Games - Pong Toss
19 (19) - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
20 (N) - High Voltage Hot Rod Show

* (N) - Denotes a new entry on the Top 20

SURPRISE! It seems that the good old Russian puzzler has finally toppled the towers of goo. World of Goo has enjoyed a good number of weeks at the #1 spot, but Tetris Party has finally broken its stranglehold on the top spot. Who knows how long it can hold onto that spot. My Aquarium is also still holding strong at the #3 spot with no signs of slowing down.

The big climber this week was High Voltage Hot Rod Show, which didn't manage to chart last week, yet has now climbed into the last spot on the Top 20. The big dropper this month was Konami's Sandy Beach, which fell three spots to #10.

There are still no signs of Jungle Speed or Planet Pachinko, but at least High Voltage Hot Rod Show was able to crack the Top 20 this week. We're beginning to see less and less movement on the charts each week, so hopefully we'll see some solid releases soon to shake things up a bit.

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

I still don´t know if i should download Tetris. Most times i´m playing alone. How big is the singleplayerpart on tetris?
And I would like to see official numbers - how much do they sell? I see Wild West Guns still in Top 20. I downloaded the game the day it was online, and cursed myself one day later.
Whats about World of Goo? Was it good for the developers? Enough to think about more WiiWare games?
On vgchartz they have sometimes numbers, but who knows if they are right or wrong.

Djungelurban

(-) 17 - TV Show King
(16) 18 - Defend Your Castle
(13) 19 - Midnight Bowling
(14) 20 - Art Style: Orbient

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I think Snowboard Riot and Pop Em Drop Same game (when it arrives) will dislodge some of these games and shake up the list a bit. They may not reach the top 3 though.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

World of Goo at number 2? It had to happen, although I didn't see it falling to Tetris Party. Also, what's with the new image for the article?
One more point: what happened to Niki Rock 'n' Ball? I can't believe it hardly sold - especially at the cheap asking price. No doubt most of this is down to Nintendo's error of not displaying it on the front page of the Wii Shop Channel...

UK CHARTS
18) Pit Crew Panic!
19) Family Glide Hockey
20) Art Style: ORBIENT

WiiGuy

WiiGuy said:

World of Goo is #2 now :(
I wonder if next week it'll be in again first...

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

I can understand why World of Goo and Tetris are at the top- but "My Aquarium"? Are you serious? :P

I'd like to see Bomberman Blast reach the top- that and Tetris are the best use of WiFi, in my opinion. World of Goo is the best single-player game out right now. :)

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

You're new here, aren't you?

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

@Wiiloveit: Yes, I finally got around to registering. I've been using this site a while now for deciding what WiiWare games I should pick up. I also added myself to the facebook group. :D So, hello!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

About the US charts: The online tournament for Tetris has probably renewed interest in that game. Things will be back to normal within a few weeks :P

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Starwolf_UK: thanks for reminding me, I need to go and get my friends round to get a high score :D
@anthonyb: Ooh - I myself don't have facebook (don't have the time, and YouTube is good enough for me), but if I did, then I would have also befriended the gang a while ago.

ALDAWGZ

ALDAWGZ said:

cant wait 2 see if LIT will make the list next wed very excited bout it should b a good game

Objection

Objection said:

Of course it fell and Tetris has recently gained some new fans because of that 2nd tournament. I still think we'll see WOG in the top 3 for months to come.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@Wiiloveit: It is true though ;)

If you havnt bought WoG yet, do it now. We must put WoG up to the top!

This reminds me of the time CoD4 beat Halo 3 on most played XBL games. It was a WTF day too :D

0-Watt

0-Watt said:

Aaaand Family Glide Hockey is the second 500 point WiiWare game to never appear in the Top 20 three weeks since release. I can say that the onslaught of 500 point games is causing a bit of buyer confusion. Usually 500 points games do rather well, but every week we've had another cheap game. Now as we near 70 games, a game will need to surpass 50 games before appearing in the top 20.

The movement of the Top 20 was so vast during the Fall because of all the big games and such coming out. January is one of the slowest periods for games, too, and as such, the WiiWare titles didn't do so hot. Hopefully February improves.

PEICanada7

PEICanada7 said:

Does any Canadian have the numbers for Canada yet? I wonder if World Of Goo is still #1 in Canada.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

HOLY SHAT! WoG was dethroned! By tetris no less! Ah well, like Starwolf_UK said, I doubt this will last.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Beer Toss fell, while My Pokémon Ranch stayed.

In other news, Pole's Big Adventure came out since yesterday. I wonder how that game currently holds in Japan...

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

Hello! I’m back with the Japanese list. Only five WiiWare titles (except such as digital comics and video streaming service) were released in January so I haven’t bothered to insert the list until now. However, I'm considering that it's probably enough with a monthly list so it’s easier to note bigger changes in the top 20 then... >_>

Top 20 WiiWare games in Japan as of February 5th 2009:
(comparison with the December 29 list between parenthesis)

1 (n) - Minna no Theater Wii
2 (1) - Minna no Pokemon Bokujou: Platina Taiouban
3 (n) - Chindouchou!! Pole no Daibouken
4 (2) - Wi-Fi 8 Hito Battle Bomberman
5 (n) - Okiraku Sugoroku Wii
6 (20) - 1 Nuku! Dasshutsu Game: My Home Hen
7 (n) - Crystal Defenders R1
8 (5) - Rockman 9: Yabou no Fukkatsu!!
9 (n) - Lost Winds
10 (3) - Kurohige Kiki Ippatsu Wii

11 (n) - Simple Series Vol. 3: The Mahjong
12 (8) - Chiisana Ousama to Yakusoku no Kuni: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
13 (6) - Tataite! Mogupon
14 (11) - Kotoba no Puzzle: Mojipittan Wii
15 (9) - Blue Oasis: Sakana no Iyashi Kuuken
16 (10) - Tetris Party
17 (n) - Same Game Wii
18 (18) - Okiraku Ping Pong Wii
19 (19) - Dr. Mario & Saikin Bokumetsu
20 (n) - Popple to Mahou no Crayon

@Versus22 - Do you have a Japanese Wii too...??

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

NNOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
World of Goo was s'posed to stay at the top forever, D'oh!
I think I'll just have to pack my bags and move to Canada now :P

Kevin

Kevin said:

I agree with that Pegasus. I find Tetris DS to be the better Tetris game. Why the hell is Mega Man 9 still ranked so low and under so many crappy games? This is ridiculous!

CrystalWolf

CrystalWolf said:

I bet the only reason Tetris Party went up is because of the new tournament resulting in the increase of downloads

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

Goo held 1st for over 2 months. I have faith that it'll take 1st again next week. Tetris Party probably jumped because of the Tetris tournament

Luigison

Luigison said:

I wish there was more consistency across regions so we could see a world wide top 20 list.