USA WiiWare Update: Tetris Party & The Incredible Maze

Posted by Darren Calvert

Pop the champagne corks and raise a toast because the good times are here to stay. After a cracking few weeks on the WiiWare service which bought us the legendary Mega Man 9, World of Goo, not to mention two awesome Art Style games now it gets even better with the much anticipated Tetris Party entering the halls of greatness.

That is of course if it is any good, but with Hudson developing it on behalf of The Tetris Company we cannot see how it could fail to be anything other than great. This is a puzzle fanatics wet dream with more game modes than you could shake a stick at, wi-fi battle and even Balance Board support. Our comprehensive review will be up in a few days as usual, but if you like any of the previous Tetris series then downloading this later today really is a no-brainer. It is priced at 1200 Wii points. Check out the official site for all the details.

There is also another game, but we know nothing about it so we’ll just quote the press release:

The Incredible Maze (Digital Leisure Inc., 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Get lost in The Incredible Maze! Simply tilt your Wii Remote controller to navigate a series of exciting and twisted mazes. Entering the maze could not be easier, but finding your way out will require a keen eye and a steady hand. Obstacles and traps are around every corner, so move your ball around the maze without falling off the edge. But watch out, there are lots of surprises in store. You can hunt for gems in a timed challenge, or test your abilities in a race against the clock. The Incredible Maze is also compatible with the Wii Balance Board, so you can really put your weight into it. This is the way in, but you'll have to find your own way out.

It’s a Balance Board bonanza this week on WiiWare! On the Virtual Console we’re playing catch-up with Europe as the excellent TurboGrafx-CD shoot-em-up Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou finally releases today along with a lacklustre boxing game called Digital Champ.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Coolness!! I'm getting both! Second comment! :D lol.
Too bad I gotta wait till evening. Unless I can somehow get an Access Point working...

danik

danik said:

2 balance board supported games is pretty dam cool! hopefully get tetris in europe this week!

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@ danik - You should get Tetris Party this week (it's the last WiiWare week in October for your region).

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Hell yes, Tetris Party! I'm gonna' burn a hole in my widescreen TV with all the time I put into the new Mega Man 9 content, Gradius II, and multiplayer Tetris bashes. Ridiculous, Nintendo. And to think just a few months ago, we were beginning to wonder if ANY great games would be coming out on the VC and WiiWare. Now I can't stop spending money on all the greatness being thrown our way!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

The incrediable maze yet another unknown game.

I wonder if its the same Digital Leisure company who always releases Dragons lair and Space ace.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Allow me to predict next week's games:
Strong Bad Episode 3 and the third Art Style game. :D

EDIT: Darn, you beat me to it! XD lol.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

@KnucklesSonic8:
I'm definitely hopeful that one of next week's titles is the third Art Style game. I'm having way too much fun with the first two and can't wait to see how the next turns out.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@11. Jockolantern - It's supposed to be. There was a news article on Nintendo's site that we're getting two Art Style games in October.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@ wesleyh - Sounds/Looks like Wii Shovelware! :(

I think I'll pass on that then.

EDIT: However, that still leaves me 1500 Wii Points to spend on Tetris Party & more Mega Man 9 content! :D

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Ummm... that game looks bland. I better wait on a review. (In response to the Incredible Maze link above)

Edit: I am not refering to Tetris Party

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

@wesleyh:
Woof. That looks fuuuuuugly. I'm not even sure I could stomach it if it does in fact play better than it looks. Seriously, DL? That's the best you could do? Barf. I'll stick with Mercury Meltdown Revolution; considerably prettier and plays like a dream.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

@Jockolantern : Same! I love both games. Cubello is so cool. I love the voice of the computer, lol.

@AENIGMA: How do you like MMR? I have it, myself.

@Tony: At first I thought you meant Tetris Party. I was gonna say, there's 18 modes of play and you consider that bland? lol. But I just clicked the link too. I'm a bit afraid now... :(

And after seeing that, I think maybe I should stick with MMR also! That or SMBBB (which I absolutely love btw). But BB Support really appeals to me. And for 500... well... we'll see. I think I'd better wait for a review now. :(

EDIT: Did you guys also notice they got another WiiWare title in the works.
I'm guessing this is fairly new.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

hey, its how a game plays rather than how it looks that makes it any good or not. wait for the review before judging it from a few screenshots. if it played well, i'd certainly enjoy it despite it looking like an early PS1 game. they might have had to make the graphics basic to get it at 500 points. and i don't think i'll be interested in any MM9 content.

AENIGMA

AENIGMA said:

@KnucklesSonic8: I love MMR, I have about 14 more levels to finish (golden corks). Awesome soundtrack too.

I hope Art Style Rotohex is released next week :)

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

@KnucklesSonic8:
As though the DS doesn't have enough Sudoku games? Sheesh... my book of four hundred Sudoku is plenty more than I'll ever accomplish in decades. I certainly don't need a television version of it.

I also love the voice of the computer in Cubello. It's amazing that it never gets annoying; it's rather soothing, to be honest, and really helps envelope the player further into the puzzler. Much like the music building as you collect satellites in Orbient manages to suck you into that particular game more and more.

wesleyh

wesleyh said:

Well, in the press release on their site it does say:

Digital Leisure plans to follow up The Incredible Maze with a series of exclusive WiiWare titles for the Wii™ this year.

wesleyh

wesleyh said:

Oh, and that sudoku game will have 100,000,000 puzzles.. LOL. Randomly generated.

Now’s your chance to play the brain-busting puzzle game taking the world by storm. With over 100,000,000 Sudoku puzzles, you’ll never see the same puzzle twice in Sudoku Challenge! You can select the classic nine-by-nine Sukodu gameboards as well as Grand Sudoku which challenges you to complete five intersecting Sudoku boards simultaneously!

Just a beginner? Don’t worry – With three difficulty options, even the most novice player can complete a Sudoku with ease. But if you’re a seasoned pro, challenge yourself in ‘Expert’ mode and test your true skills. It’s time to get your thinking cap on and see how many Sudoku puzzles you can conquer!

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

@Jockolantern: RE: Voice of Cubello = I know! lol.

@AENIGMA = Cool. I'm not too far in the game. I find I lose interest somewhat easily. That's a game I play in short bursts. I thought I'd really like it ( a lot more, I mean ).

pagster

pagster said:

How come I don't see Tetris or Incredible Maze on my WiiShop channel? And, how does one play Tetris with the Balance Board?

Megaace

Megaace said:

Too much cool games, too little Wii memory... My Wii is full of games that my family are now playing: Bomberman, Megaman, Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, Paper Mario, Wild West Guns, the Wii Fit and Mario Kart Channels... I want to buy Tetris, but I don't want to erase any games, because we are playing them. So I won't buy any wiiware game until I finish some of these games.. I can't understand why Nintendo is waiting until march to fix the lack of space... They are losing tons of money because some people don't have space to download the games... It is surreal...

TheVideoGamer

TheVideoGamer said:

I was thinking those images looked waaay too bad. The game is in constant motion, so screenshots do the game NO justice at all. See what I mean, I found this video just now:

I'd play that for sure, especially w/balance board support! I loved that minigame in Wii Fit.

EDIT: It's still not a looker by any stretch of the imagination though. Just saying it looks like the gameplay might be there, so it'd be worth it.

i_am_error

i_am_error said:

Neat... TETRIS! And it sounds incredible!

As for "The Incredible Maze" (sound like a Superfriends episode) I'll pass... I already have Mercury Meltdown Revolution that is alike. Looks kinda cheap...

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

While being an interesting concept, Mart Racer looks kind of lackluster to me.

Tetris Party it is! Well, someone has to review the game :p The Incredible Maze actually looks like it could be quite fun if the controls work well.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Wesleyh. Are you kidding me? That game looks like a shareware game for Windows '98! :o I ain't touching that! Thanks for the warning.

Oh god. TP came out THIS week!? I have 1600 points now, and I was gonna spend 1000 of those on MM9! This is gonna be a tough decision...

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

I can't find Tetris on my wii ware...what am I doing wrong?
Checking too early. Wii Shop updates at 9AM PST/Noon EST.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Sniffle
If we don't get TP this Friday, Nintendo are getting epic spamming >:0
Also, if SB3 isn't out, does that mean I've gotta wait 2 1/2 weeks for it instead, because then Europe won't get an episode this month.

Alien Crush / Art Style this Friday anyway, perhaps? Ninty really need to spoil us after the last update...

Serpent

Serpent said:

Getting Tetris Party for sure. I have the exact amount of Wii points.(1200)

Mopsical

Mopsical said:

Awesome update (again). Hope we get Tetris Party this Friday.

And as for The Incredible Maze and 'Mart Racer', a definite pass.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Holy crap, I really suck at Tetris. I've played close to twenty online matches and haven't won a single one yet... Wow. I've even ran across a few players who are either A) Waaaaaaay too good at Tetris or B) Cheating. Seriously, I've never seen blocks form together that fast before. Before I know it, they've got two Tetrises and I'm out of the game.

I need to brush up in Single Player for a long time before I even think about online play, it would appear. Thankfully there are a bazillion modes to play, so I should be good.

PiratePete

PiratePete said:

Nice update guys! Tetris DX was an early childhood favourite of mine :-) I hope this version is even better!

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

Can't wait to get home from work and download some Tetris. And don't worry Europe, according to a press release you'll get this game on the 24th so at least the Europe WiiWare update will have one great game this week.

As soon as I get online, I'll post my FC in the vc-reviews forums.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@worrybomb: Oh rly? If that is true: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also: what happened to the upcoming WiiWare-World forums? There was an icon for ages which led to a link stating that the forums were under consruction. Recently though, that link has vanished - are you guys still working on them?

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

I expect Tetris Party, Strong Bad and all three artstyle games atleast next friday if NoE wants to improve from their previous lackluster fortnight.

@WiiloveitOnline: The forum is on the VC site.

JoshZTP

JoshZTP said:

The only worth while game is Tetris Party... so just rejoice that it is finally here! :)

I was just turned off by those first screenshots of Incredible Maze... like OMG it's hand drawn crap?! Almost looked like Defend Your Castle, LOL!! ;)

Then seeing that video; game play is okay... but I could play the actual game labrinth with an actual toy like I used to have! :P

Better yet, Zelda Twilight Princess has Rollgoal... didn't anyone fail to mention that in their comments... I think not!! ;)

Ren

Ren said:

Crap, no time or money for this. Envious, plus I still need more space on my home. Looks like the maze thing will be fun for balnce board, though.

Virus

Virus said:

I don't find either of these games appealing personally. Tetris does look like it can be a blast, but after checking the online manuel, I think I'm fine with the DS version considering Tetris PARTY is meant for a larger group. It just seems my friends aren't quite excited by Tetris, and I don't think online is enough to compensate for that.

As for The Incredible Maze (creative...), I don't see it scoring too high after looking at the video, pictures, and manuel. Still, if this gets even a seven, I might just get it.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

Yay! I can finally put my balance board to good use. I can't wait for Skate it either.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Tetris Party's gonna hit #1 in the charts for sure. Everyone loves Tetris (well, almost everyone at least.)!

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

I'm glad for all the people who was eagerly waiting for TP, but any game with "party" on it's name is just meh for me, it is meant for many players and I rarely play with others, also I have my old GB Tetris to play with, nothing like the classic.
That Incredible Maze game kind of reminds me of my youth, and as I couldn't find MMR, I'll get it if it gets a 7.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Tetris Party is great, even if you don't intend to play with other people. I really like Shadow mode, and I'll just pretend somebody cares that I was the first American player to hit the top 30 on the leaderboard (name: Zack, though I doubt I'll stay up there for very long...). I'd like to know how those few Japs managed to 100% every level...

@Jockolantern: Maybe they're just really good at accurate hard dropping? I played with a couple guys online earlier, and one of them lost every match. Wonder if it was you... ;)

Kenji510

Kenji510 said:

Woohoo!!.... best wiiware for this week and im gonna go and download Tetris Party right away and play and ill get the Incredible Maze too, looks pretty cool... "goes to wii shop and downloads both games now" :D

Loooca

Loooca said:

@Stuffgamer1: Totally. I couldn't get enough of the shadow mode — it seriously made me ponder, and not rush it like in the regular mode. And since my whole family are Tetris fanatics, it was a load of fun to play with everyone.

Size is a worrisome issue, though, with more than 200 blocks. I sent DKC, DKC2 and Mario 64 to my SD cards to afford the space. It didn't take me more than a minute, so it was alright.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@Versus22 (regarding size) - Ugh. I just made room for WoG and Dynamite Headdy (which for some reason won't download unless you have way more space on your Wii at the time of download than you need... it's happened before, does anyone know why?). How am I going to put this on my Wii without sending at least 1 game I haven't beaten to die on my SD Card? DAMN YOU STORAGE!

y2josh

y2josh said:

I can't wait to get this one, finally bought smrpg and secret of mana and i only have 600 points :( lol

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

@Stuffgamer1:
Does your Mii have a beard and glasses? Did you play a Mii with facial hair and glasses? I also quit playing the same guy and when I went back online to play somebody else, the same guy popped up, so I lost to him a few more times. ^_~ If that was you, I am quite humbled.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Jockolantern: Well, the guys I played against had beards and glasses, I believe. My Mii has glasses, but just a mustache with no beard (I'm still trying to grow one...). I know I won three out of five matches I played, and the other guy (who didn't lose all of them) won the other two. It doesn't really matter, I guess. If you're saying you're quite humbled by your opponent, it probably wasn't me (I'm good, but I don't think I'm THAT good...).

I don't think there were very many Americans online with Tetris Party yesterday afternoon (they needed more time to get home from work and download it). I will be very interested to try a six-player match in the near future...

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

I'm sure it won't last long, but I'm #28 in the Top 30 'Stage Racer Route J (Advanced)' (under the name "Joosh") at the moment. Kind of a good feeling while it lasts... not gonna' lie.

Sassy_Cc

Sassy_Cc said:

I enjoyed Tetris Party ~ One of very few complaints I have is that you couldn’t do vs online in balance board mode & that your high scores for BB mode doesn’t go on the online high scores :-( ~

Mabbit

Mabbit said:

tetris party looks cool but i would probably throw my wiimote at the tv in frustration at the incredible maze XD

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Great, another awesome game that I've been waiting forever for, yet can't get. Man, I've gotten so behind on this stuff, I don't think I'll ever be able to catch up!