Japanese Virtual Console list - November 2008

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

November actually has quite a few surprises in store for Japan. Although there are no new Nintendo 64, Neo Geo or MSX games, Japanese Wii owners will soon be able to download Mega Man 3, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Master System), and the next Square Enix game, among others.

The full list is as follows:

Famicom:

Super Famicom:

Sega Master System:

Sega Mega Drive:

PC Engine:

• Nekketsu Koukou Dodge Ball-Bu CD Soccer-hen (November 4th, this is the PC Engine CD version of Nintendo World Cup)
  • Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu (CD)
  • Cadash
  • Volfied

Not a single game which has already been released elsewhere - Can we also expect most of these soon? The three games with screenshots below are new announcements - We knew of the others already.

Related Games

Spiky_Idiot

Spiky_Idiot said:

Why aren't there any new N64 games lately? Mario Golf hasn't appeared in EU yet... man the Japan VC list is packed with random games.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Not a bad month for Japan. Better than last for sure. People are going to flip for Ogre Battle though, as that's one of those rare SNES games that fetch a fortune on ebay. Square-Enix has been doing an excellent job supporting the VC lately. It's only a matter of time before we see other SE classics like E.V.O., Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma. Still, I wouldn't hold out for any Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy games showing up on the service anytime soon if at all.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

One Megadrive game, one master system game and zero Neo-Geo games...at this rate it'll be 2015 before they've exhausted the Neo-Geo catalogue. SEGA are pretty much out of Megadrive games but there are still pleanty of Master System titles to be had :(

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I am interested in Cadash and Mercs. Actually there are still plenty of Genesis games to stretch out into next year.

It must be cool to get a list of games each month and you can decide how many Wii points you will need.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

An Enix game! HUZZAH! Hope for the future...

I'm EXTREMELY impressed with Squenix VC support in the last few months. Talk about a total about-face from not releasing much of ANYTHING in the first year and a half!

Kultist

Kultist said:

Ogre Battle! I hope this one comes quickly to North America, I never could get through it and I'd like to have another crack at it.
@Rapadash : Yeah, I agree with you, I think we should focus on non-FF & DW Square-Enix games, and there a quite a few good Square and Enix games outside theses two franchises. E.V.O., Gaia, Evermore and the like. Unfortunately, Square and Enix have been been prolific to say the least on PSX, and most of their games on early consoles (read : NES and SNES) were FF and DW games, so methinks we're in a bit of a loss here :(
Oh well, bring on the games we can have!

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Well done SE, you ve gone from poor to great support of the VC. :)

Looking forward to Megaman 3 and, with any luck, the better version of Sonic 2 8 bit. :)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Oh, cool. Volfied is a good gameI think; I have it on the Taito collection disc on PS2. I hope everyone gets it. Only interested in Mega Man 3 out of the others.

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

Always wanted to play Ogre Battle when I first had my SNES. Hope its gets a Hanabi release.
Although I really, really hope Enix will look at releasing Soul Blazer, its the only one of the trilogy I never played.

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

I disliked Sonic the hedgehog 2 for the Master System. I always had trouble defeating the first boss.

ness

ness said:

Wow, i didn't know that there was a PC Engine CD version of 'Nintendo World Cup'^^.

Also nice to see 'Mega Man 3' and 'Ogre Battle', hopefully this is one of the games coming to Europe in the next Hanabi-Festival.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Ogre Battle! There isn't a freaking chance I'd pay the going rate for the cart, so I'm hoping it comes here down the line.

sfog

sfog said:

"How many SMS sonics are there?"

There's Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Spinball, and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. All except the first game were only released in Europe originally, although their Game Gear versions were released in the US. There was also a Brazil-exclusive Game Gear-to-Master System conversion of Sonic Blast.

Zweck36

Zweck36 said:

Always wanted to get my hands on Ogre Battle, never could though. Yes MM3 my personal favorite!

said:

Not a single item of interest. I remember a few people mentioning that they wanted Mega Man 3, so hopefully it will come out in North America and Europe soon.

Objection

Objection said:

Ogre Battle could be cool. I really hope other regions get the N64 Custom Robos though as imports soon! ;)

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

I want Sonic 2!, Ogre Battle seems nice too, but I'm gessing there will be a long wait to get them :(.

Jolted85

Jolted85 said:

Anyone notice how Daimakaimura mysteriously vanished?

Japan was supposed to get the Super Grafx game Daimakaimura (ghost's n goblins); last month but it never happened, strange...

Jashin

Jashin said:

Ogre Battle and Nintendo World Cup?
Can't believe that - a dream comes true!!!!

Hope that we get them too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@ Jolted: Nintendo of Japan says it was delayed because of problems.

marktheshark

marktheshark said:

I'm betting that all of those games that're planned to go to the JPN VC this month will eventually come to the NA & European VCs soon.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@ Jolted: Nintendo of Japan says it was delayed because of problems.
Nearly 2 years since launching the service and it seems not a month goes by without a game being delayed due to 'problems'. Yet people still wonder why NOA or NOE don't put up monthly release lists which will inevitably disappoint.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

Ogre Battle is a brilliant game that I'm not sure was as popular as it should have been back in the day, so it's good to see it getting a second chance.
And Sonic 2 is also quite brilliant. Better by far than the already-excellent original.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

From what I played of Ogre Battle as a young teen, I was never completely blown away by it, but I'm certainly willing to give it a second look upon its VC release. Hurrah for Mega Man 3 though! Can't wait for its stateside release!

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@ Bass: The TurboGrafx-16 version wasn't released outside Japan.

WolfLink22

WolfLink22 said:

If we get Mega Man 3 soon in USA i am going to have to get another Wii Points Card.Because i still don't have Mega Man 9 yet either.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Hopefully we'll see it in another Hanabi Festival then or random American import week. I quite enjoyed it on the PS2 Taito Collection disc.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Ah, Dragon Buster. I played that game on the Namco Battle Collection for PSP. Perhaps the most annoying game I've ever played in my life.
Other than that, Japan had a bang-up week this week. Ogre Battle looks cool, and it's great to see Squenix showing some VC love again. Cadash and MS Sonic 2 look fun too.

Serpent

Serpent said:

Only interested in Ogre Battle from that list. I played the squeal and loved it.

mwaawm

mwaawm said:

VOLFIED!!

We better get this over here in the UK, Volfied on my old ST racked up a silly amount of playtime back in the day. Nothing will recapture the magic of the timer running out on me in the final level robbing me of shields but still managing to comple it with 5 missile explosions having hit my trail homing in on me.

timp29

timp29 said:

LOL, if thats the truth I can imagine the winging already. There will be blood for NoA if there is no Castlevania 3 :P

vherub

vherub said:

ogre battle, wow, I bought the japenese snes cart years ago, thinking I could use it to teach myself japanese.
that was a poor plan.

deggs

deggs said:

Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu?

I wonder if we're any closer to faxanadu coming out?

Viral

Viral said:

I am looking forward to Ogre Battle and Faxanadu and Zombies Ate My Neighbors.