Quite some time ago Nintendo confirmed that it was in the process of planning attractions with Universal parks, and it emerged that a deal was pretty much done for a Universal Studios Japan setting in time for the Tokyo Olympics. Rumours then swirled around extra land for a Nintendo attraction at Universal Orlando. Well, there's finally been an update, with confirmation that Nintendo attractions are coming to three Universal Studios and Resorts parks, in Japan, Orlando and Hollywood.
The confirmation comes in a video below, which also shows that sightings of Shigeru Miyamoto at Universal Studios a number of weeks ago were correct.
The following is from a press release:
Imagine the fun of stepping into a larger-than-life Nintendo adventure. Gigantic Piranha Plants spring to life. ? Blocks, power-ups and more surround you. And Mario and all his friends are there to pull you into a brand-new world.
You will enter an entire realm filled with iconic Nintendo excitement, gameplay, heroes and villains. And it is coming to three Universal theme parks around the globe. See more in the official announcement video on YouTube (above).
The creative visionaries behind Nintendo's legendary worlds and characters are working together with the creative teams behind Universal's blockbuster theme park attractions. Their goal: to bring the characters, action and adventure of Nintendo video games to life within Universal theme parks. And to do so in new and innovative ways that capture what makes them so special. All of the adventure, fun and whimsy you experience through a screen will now be all around you – in breathtakingly authentic ways.
- Nintendo-themed areas are coming to Universal Studios Japan, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood.
- These will be expansive, immersive and interactive. They will be highly themed and authentic environments filled with multiple attractions, shops and restaurants.
- Guests will feel as if they are playing inside their favourite games – this time in real life.
- There will be something for everyone – regardless of their age or gaming experience level.
- Planning and creative work on these areas is well underway; they will open separately over the next several years.
- The new themed areas come as the result of a global partnership between Universal Parks & Resorts and Nintendo – two icons of the entertainment world. Universal theme parks create incredibly popular family entertainment experiences for millions of people based on compelling characters, stories and innovative technology. Nintendo creates remarkable and imaginative games filled with captivating stories and beloved characters.
Are you excited about this? Let us know what you think of potential Nintendo theme park attractions in the comments below.