Super Mario 64 Has a Mystery Goomba That Can Never Be Killed

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Nor its coin claimed

While most gamers have a particular title that they'll play over and over again to a borderline unhealthy degree, not many of us have the fortitude and familiarity with any game to find its deepest, darkest secrets. Some do just that, however, often sharing their ultimately fascinating discoveries with the rest of us.

One example is pannenkoek2012 on YouTube, with his entire channel pretty much devoted to Super Mario 64, in which he exploits glitches and — sometimes — hacks to do the strangest things with the classic game. One particularly intriguing discovery came to a close a couple of weeks ago — thanks Kotaku — in which he attempted and failed to kill the Mystery Goomba.

To give a brief history lesson, this so called Mystery Goomba was found in the Bowser in the Sky stage; as Goombas always spawn in triangles in the game, no doubt to accommodate technical limitations, there is a point where one was missing. Naturally pannenkoek2012 decided to try and get sight of this disappeared Goomba and then stomp it to claim its coin; the two videos below follow that process and explain the technicalities rather well.

It's a tough challenge, but somebody has to take it on.

[via kotaku.com]

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I shouldn't watch these......it ruins the crystal clear amazing graphics i remember from way back when.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Love how even after so long, people are still discovering new things on my favorite Mario game of all time

Fidu21

Fidu21 said:

Goomba, the immortal. Wait, let me get this straight. Things only exist if Mario's in their range? even PLATFORMS?!

I mean... holy poopoodoodoocacapoopledoopledoggiepooples man

ChrisT99

ChrisT99 said:

It's amazing to think about all the math and physics that go into games. I never realize it unless I watch videos like this.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Interesting. I like the little lesson on how collision and spawning works on Super Mario 64. Neat little tricks for getting around the system's hardware limitations.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I've seen the first video a while ago, but hadn't seen the second yet. Pretty interesting!

Jmaster

Jmaster said:

In case y'all were wondering what that username means, 'pannenkoek' its Dutch for Pancake.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I really love these things :D When gamers mystify quirks of a game and almost make a sport out of it to fully discover it.
The funny thing is, its mostly nintendo games that get such a treatment ;)

@Gerbwmu I have no idea what you mean, Mario 64 still looks sharp as ever, just look at all these edges !

Knux

Knux said:

You know a game is awesome when you still find random s**t nearly twenty years after it's released. ;)

baba_944

baba_944 said:

This is very cool. You DO learn stuff from video games, just behind the scenes.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Wow never seen this. Interesting makes me wanna pop it in right now.
Yes thats what she said.. ;)

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

@DiscoGentleman Not to be a jerk, but I see you hating on whatever Nintendo. Life has posted recently. This is Nintendo news, and this is what this site is about. Chill.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Never heard of that before, but it really is interesting.

@PvtOttobot It sounds a bit arrogant, but also as if he was totally high. It didn't annoy me directly, but it was so tiring to listen to him...

No-longer-postin

No-longer-postin said:

If they edited the game already, why not just move the block over a bit or even extend it?
That will solve the problem!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Poor guy wasted so much time to figure this out. Was interesting to learn how the game was built at least.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Amazing! I love this sort of thing, thanks Nintendo Life for sharing it. I'm looking forward to watching the youtuber's other videos too :-D

DrMonk

DrMonk said:

Thanks for sharing this. Really interesting exploration of physics and laws in one of the best games of all time.

Pod

Pod said:

@OneBagTravel
It's on the Wii Virtual Console, which you can access on the Wii U.

But yeah, I get you. Would be nicer in HD, and using the Wii Mode on Wii U is just not handy.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

@NavySpheal "Not to be a jerk, but [insert jerk statement]"
I've really only hated on a couple things they've posted lately, that I can think of. I really dig this site, but Kotaku is garbage.

RaphaBoss

RaphaBoss said:

Easy, just run the gam under a emulator in high resolution, and you will be able to se it clearly.

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

@ChrisT99 There is a lot of algebra, geometry, and other complex math that goes into games. Even simple things require a lot more thought than some people realize.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

I call that the people who made this game know about mystery goomba and know how to kill it.

Capture and interrogate them at once!

Henmii

Henmii said:

Lol! And by looking at his username I know he's a Duchman, like me. Pannenkoek means Pancake!