SteamWorld Dig May Have a Discount on Wii U For Those With the 3DS Version

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Studio is looking into the possibility

A continual complaint for some that own both a Wii U and 3DS is the absence of cross-buy promotions, particularly with Virtual Console games but also with some download titles available on both systems. We have seen recent examples from Nintendo with Pushmo World discounts, and there's been a genuine cross-buy offer on Squids Odyssey in Europe, though it's limited to the region and you can only get the Wii U version free after a 3DS purchase, and not the other way around.

They're tentative steps, however, and Image & Form has indicated that when SteamWorld Dig arrives on Wii U, those with the 3DS version may be able to enjoy a discount.

This kind of promotion certainly makes sense when releasing any port, in a sense, to motivate gamers into double-dipping. Are you planning to pick up SteamWorld Dig on Wii U or, if you're on the fence, would a promotion to own both be tempting to you?

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Related Games

Tops

Tops said:

That would be much appreciated! Hope they do it because it would be one more reason I love Image & Form.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I have it on 3DS and PC. I will probably end up getting it again as well.

(Depends on the size of the discount).

I will probably end up getting most of the NES games from NES remix again that I like that I already have on my 3DS.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Cant see a reason to revisit on Wii U right now, have they announced any Wii U extras or is it a straight port like PS3 & Vita?

Tekken179

Tekken179 said:

PS4/Vita was a cross buy, despite the Vita having such poor sales it certainly has a better catalog than the rest when it comes to cross buy including:

Steamworld Dig (PS4)
Fez
Spelunky
Super Sma... I mean Playstation All-Stars
Minecraft
All PSX Classics (Few are incompatible with Vita I think)
Divekick
Guacamelee!
Mutant Mudds
Limbo
All PSN Minis

I wish Nintendo would take this model for some of there games and at the very least, all of their VC titles.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I think we've all brainwashed ourselves into backwards thinking (cultural hegemony, not our fault) if we think we are getting a good deal buy buying a game once at full price and then getting a discount to buy the same game again to play on a different system. If we buy the game once from Nintendo we should be able to play it on both a Wii U and 3DS. This only applies if it's the same game, Pushmo was a different game on handheld and home console, SSB will be different as well. But a game like Super Mario World hasn't changed in 24 years, not even a HD makeover like WW HD got, or added online or DLC, Nintendo shouldn't ask us to buy it again and again and again. See Steam, iOS or Android if you don't know what I mean.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I deleted it on my 3DS hopefully the promotion would still work or at least the Wii U version wouldn't be so expensive

polarbear

polarbear said:

Great news. I was going to double dip anyway. Hoping for a really nice HD version of this fantastic game.

Poki

Poki said:

The game's too short, so I won't spend money on it again. If I want, I can just play it a third time on my 3DS XL.

allav866

allav866 said:

NoA will drop the ball again if Steamworld does get a crossbuy discount. You'll see.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Well, Pushmo World never got a discount, it was Pullblox World the one that did. We love you NOA!

This is a great game, but even with a discount I don't see myself double dipping. Sometimes I feel Nintendo is not doing these crossbuys because you could get the game on Wii U, get the credit for the Deluxe Digital Promo, and then get the game on 3DS for free.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

sinalefa, I think you just hit the nail on the head. Will Nintendo adapt cross-buy at the end of the DDP? Who knows at this point. What we do know, is this week (and the rest of August) seems packed with indies.
I counted 11 indies with potential July / August release dates still to come.
Tengami, Teslagrad, Pier Solar, Assault Android Cactus, Master Reboot, Wooden Sen'Sey, Super Toy Cars, Midtown Crazy Race and Art of Balance are 9 likely 'summer' releases. Dieselstormers and The Fall seem to be very far along. I'd be surprised if either waited until autumn to debut.
Then we have SSB, Lego Batman 3, Skylanders, DI 2.0, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Toad's Treasure Tracker and Steamworld Dig.
After E3, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Kirby, Yoshi and Splatoon by May. Not to mention the possibility of Minecraft (not my cup of tea, but it could happen).
With Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mighty No. 9 and Zelda on the horizon, the next 17 months look VERY interesting.

CricketGoat

CricketGoat said:

The more I think about it, the less I actually care about cross-buy on games until Nintendo includes some form of cross-save, either through cloud, or manual transfer, or something. If I'm playing a game at home and want to play the same game on the road, the last thing I want to do is start it over or play from a different save file. If there was cross-buy without cross-save I would still end up playing a game on a single platform with the other just sitting there.

I guess VC would be the exception to this as a lot of VC games are more single play experiences.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Aside from those titles, Fatal Frame is a rather intriguing possibility (though limited in audience due to the expenses that would come from hiring a vocal team, something I argue will narrow it's scope in non-English speaking locations due to necessary subtitles) Mario Maker and Art Academy look to inspire creativity and just who knows what 3rd parties will join the party if Wii U sales were to take off.
Watch_Dogs is a sure thing and Ubisoft has teased another, but what would, say, EA's response be to the still struggling system selling another 4-6 million systems this calendar year?

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

If they do discount it, I'll probably buy it because I'll get a discount from the DDP . So yeah, I'll be paying again, which some people might abhor, but it'll hopefully be a lot less than if I didn't double dip or promotions weren't possible.

SleepyCrossing

SleepyCrossing said:

Nice! I don't usually get the same game twice, but maybe if I reallly like it. Downloading Steamworld Dig for 3DS today most likely due to the temporary sale.

Link506

Link506 said:

Nah. Sorry guys at Image and form. I love steamworls dig, but I'm not a "double dippet guy" who plays a video game twice.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Already bought it on 3DS twice... would probably still get the Wii U version with a discount.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I loved the game on the 3DS, but it would have to be a pretty great discount to get me to buy it again.

andrea987

andrea987 said:

Either way, I don't think I'm going to -ahem- 'double-dig' with this one...
Jokes aside, as much as I enjoyed the gameplay mechanics, I was left a tad disappointed by the way the story came abruptly to its end, and by the NPC, who were only used partially, in some cases not used at all.
Hopefully all this will be rectified on the very probable sequel.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Would buy it again at a lower cost than normal. Awesome game. I just can't beat the final boss.

marc_max

marc_max said:

I'm sorry, but I don't want to pay again for the same game. I wish the crossbuy was real.

mch

mch said:

I think that would be great and fair. Personally I stiill have to get it yet.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

Being so radical and controversial, I'd like to suggest that they make it available for free to Wii U owners who bought it on 3DS...

Really though, lack of cross buy is now verging on ridicule and farce...