Shin Megami Tensei IV Set For September Release In Europe, Pleasingly Low Price Confirmed

Posted by Alex Olney

A digital gem

It's been a while since North America was treated to the glorious sight of Shin Megami Tensei IV on its store shelves, and now Atlus has finally announced that European countries will be treated to a similar occasion.

The RPG in question will not be receiving a physical release, but instead will be arriving as a digital-only download. Don't look too disappointed though, as the game will retail for a pleasingly affordable £17.99 (€19.99). If our review is anything to go by, it should be on most 3DS owners' radar.

Here's the official word:

Shin Megami Tensei IV is making its way to Europe later this year as a digital download title. And by later this year, we mean sometime in September; all the DLC will be available as well, except for the North America retailer-exclusive pre-order bonus armour.

Will you be downloading this samurai sensation in September?

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

Glad to hear you guys across the pond are now getting this. No reason it took this long.

Kyoto

Kyoto said:

This is really great news! My wallet is going to take a extreme hit since this is my 4th must-buy-on-release-title in september!

And by "all DLC is available as well", do they mean that you can purchase it or is it already included?

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Aw yiss, that's awesome. That's the first thing, I buy when I'm getting my (own) 3DS :3

Muyounosuke

Muyounosuke said:

Cool, hope you guys enjoy it. Don't hesistate buying this because some people say it's hard in fact its probably the easiest game in the mainline series and is really only hard at the begining of the game. once you learn how negotiating, and the battle system works this game will be a breeze and you will be taking down bosses in no time.

Skogur

Skogur said:

Took them long enough. With that said, I'm extremely excited to finally being able to play this!

Shambo

Shambo said:

At that price, I might consider downloading it. I was really hoping for a physical release though...

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Honestly I'm still bummed about no physical release but at least they didn't charge £40 for it, I'll get it at some point I'm no longer in any rush to now waiting a bit more won't make much of a difference seeing as I've already been waiting like a year.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

€19.99?

Woah momma! They're practically slipping their hands straight into my wallet.

King47

King47 said:

I got the limited edition of this day one but couldn't get into it. Though I never thought it was a bad game or anything, it's just not for me.
I wonder why it took so long to get to Europe, enjoy it European friends.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

You guys deserve that price for 2 reasons. The wait and eshop only! Go get it as it was my favorite game last year!

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Damn that took a long time to reach these shores. Incredibly slow work from Atlus and Sega.

Atlus and Nicalis are the worst when releasing stuff to Europe...

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I bought Soul Hackers in anticipation of also picking this up at retail. Now I'll only consider this at a rather heavy discount as I do not wish to support Atlus' decision to release their titles exclusively via the eShop in Europe (and by extension, Australia). I would have bought Conception II at retail at full price ($59.95), but thanks to Nintendo of Europe not receiving a retail release, we've been deprived of it too. The worst part of all is that not only does the U.S. get a physical release of most Atlus games, but they also often include additional bonuses (such as the soundtrack CD with Conception II).

I really hate that Nintendo have systemically plonked us with the Europeans after the release of the 3DS. Now we're subjected to their release schedule, their delays and their localisations (or lack of). During the lifespan of the original DS, we'd occasionally get games that were released in the U.S. but not the U.K. (such as WarioWare: Twisted) and vice versa. Now, we're bound only by whatever Nintendo of Europe dictates. >=(

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome price! I'll buy it at the very least to support Atlus & secondly to hopefully enjoy the game.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Wow ok very happy about this. Glad to see a September release and when I saw the low price in the title also I was expecting a €30 price (which I would have been very happy about. I did not expect a €20 price.

I am very happy about the release day and the price still has me speechless.

Now atlus localize SMT 1&2 so I can have a main SMT collection.

@Muyounosuke Glad to hear. I avoided reading review and watching them. Lucifer's call (aka Nocturne in the US) was a very hard game and never completed it as my save got corrupted. :<

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Awesome news. I didn't expect this price, and with all dlc!
I already wanted it but now it's a day one purchase. Well done Atlus. Now make something like Radiant Historia (original and great).

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@sillygostly you're talking nonsense. Atlus is the one who decides, not Nintendo. One of the reasons for Atlus usually passing on Europe is the poor sales they get here.

What we can actually blame on Nintendo is the stupid region-lock. If the DS had had it I wouldn't hvlave been able to play some great games like Radiant Historia.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

@DarkCoolEdge: Nintendo of Europe assumes responsibility for what gets licensed for sale in Europe and by extension, Australia, so yes, they do play a part (though publishers will ultimately decide whether their software is worth selling to the ANZ market only after considering if a title is worth releasing to the European market).

This was not the case in the past. Now, if any 3DS/Wii U software is denied release for the European market, then the Australian market also misses out completely (publishers previously had the choice to release a game to the Australian market irrespective of its status in Europe). We also used to receive the U.S. versions of the games as opposed to the European versions, but now we only ever receive the European version (for better or for worse) as a result of Nintendo's region locking practices.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I see Atlus' strategy of staggered release dates as fairly wise. It ensures that they have a more uniform flow of income rather than occasional payday's interspersed with long periods of drought. It presumably helps them keep their numbers and therefore costs down.
And yes at that price I'm in! Although I hope we get a demo first : )

LittleFuryThing

LittleFuryThing said:

That's a decent price for the game and I will definitely be picking it up.

It is annoying that a mainline game in the series has been given a DD-only option, yet Persona Q (a spin-off) is getting a retail release. Weird. :$

Windy

Windy said:

Such a great game! My second favorite RPG of my all time play. My favorite is Xenoblade. Its so much better than Bravely Default. I was hoping they would give you guys a 14.99 price for keeping you waiting.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Very surprised by the low price on this one. Going to be getting it Day 1.

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

@Windy - Hope ya well Sir Windy. Sure, we will see it in the sales at that price over Christmas. Been seeing it on sale all the time on the US store. Quite looking forward to playing this again after feeling a little let down with the last EU scheduled release.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I do already have a USA version cus I got tired of waiting, but even though I do not approve of the digital only (or obviously the super late release) I take the cheap price as something of a apology so I think I'm gonna support them by getting this on my euro 3DS too.