New Converse X Super Mario Bros. Shoes Are Stepping Into Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Yours for just over $200...

Gamers with a love for all things Nintendo often customise and create their own shoes and clothing to show off that dedication in public, but there are definitively fashionable and expensive options available. These Converse X Super Mario Bros. shoes are a prime example.

These aren't the first special editions from Converse that tie-in to Nintendo's iconic franchise, as we've previously had high top sneakers and some understated white shoes. These new versions, arriving in Japan during August, certainly count as some of the most stylish — they'll cost a lot, however. They'll be ¥21,600, which is a little over $200.

You could buy a 3DS for less, or hunt out a bargain Wii U not far off that amount. You can't wear those on your feet, though, so there's that.

[via destructoid.com]

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Those shoes to me are rather ugly and bland. If I were a collector I would buy 2 pares, one to wear and one to never wear.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

I can't wait to find nothing in my wardrobe to match those aggressively red shoes!

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Well I wear a size 13 uk. I doubt they'll make em that big in Japan.....if they do they won't sell and I might get them on the cheap.....yay!!

ogo79

ogo79 said:

ill take some little samson shoes. made out of alligator and gold tips.
dont get jealous

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

The black Bowser ones don't look like clown shoes, so that's cool, but the design on the tongue is still incredibly toolish.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

All these people talking about how the price isn't justified, yet they bought a Wii U
Hue hue hue hue hue c:<
(Jk plz don't attack me )

ekreig

ekreig said:

I've never spent over $50 on shoes and I don't intend to start now. Sorry!

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

Both are quite ugly though... That bright red is a fashion SIN same for those pale green ones I've seen way nicer Mario based shoes that justifiy the price these are collectors items y no mas, even my lil brother THE BIGGEST Mario nerd is against them which is bad

IxC

IxC said:

The fact that the sprites point the same direction on the left and right shoes bothers me.

Surely they should face different directions? This just looks odd. I demand symmetry!

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Oh man, I was hoping for a title like "Super Mario Bros. shoes SNEAK into Japan". You've disappointed me, NL.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

I think that $200 for shoes brand like Converse is a bit too much. I don't pay more that $100 for either casual or sports shoes.

vamkar

vamkar said:

I dont care how many ruppes I need to pay for this... they look fantastic, I love this kind of things, wish more companies do the same, since Im a huge Nintendo collector...

Untitled

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

I'd wear those Bowser shoes, since I love green and they're in a rather nice shade of it. I'd never pay that kind of price for shoes, though...

SamSan37

SamSan37 said:

Damn it where am i going to get $400 dollars + shipping fee from? I want these on my feet right now!

mamp

mamp said:

DAMN!!! I would pay $200 for those black shoes, I've bought more expensive things and received a lot less.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

It's absolutely HILARIOUS that gamers are so incredibly unworldly when it comes to fashion. And really, it's gamers more than anyone.
How many have ever purchased a pair of good workboots? Or just good boots? Work boots: 300$. Boots: 280$.
And the Bowser version is hunter green, not black.
Point being? Converse's leather All-Stars already sell for 100$. Limited color variants sell for 110-140$. Anything else adds to the top pricing. In addition to the price Converse charges, there's the price they pay to Nintendo. I can't imagine either the 3DS or Wii U commanding even close to what these shoes will, say, 3-4 years from now.

Razzle

Razzle said:

These should be a Club Nintendo offering. Probably 10,000 points though...

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Yeah never gonna pay that much for ANY pair of shoes. I'd love to see some bullet bill or maybe bob-omb shoes. Love my converse though :D

SamSan37

SamSan37 said:

@SahashraLA yeah I have some brown leather converse that set me back $120. Well worth the money in my opinion since shoes usually last me a year or so..