Master Reboot to Arrive on the Wii U eShop on 24th July

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

In both North America and Europe

Throughout this year Wales Interactive has outlined its plans to bring three games to the Wii U, with Gravity Badgers being the first arrival at the end of May. Infinity Runner will be another, which includes 32-player multiplayer, but the next arrival on Nintendo's system will be a title announced at the turn of the year — Master Reboot.

When we interviewed the company's Managing Director, David Banner, he described Master Reboot as follows.

Master Reboot is a haunting first person sci-fi adventure game set inside the Soul Cloud. In the not too distant future they have created the Soul Cloud, a giant server that holds the data of your soul and memories when you die. The Soul Cloud is filled with floating islands; each island looks like a town, village or city filled with rooms, skyscrapers and houses that hold people’s memories. To house your Soul, a family member (or yourself before you die) purchases an island on the Soul Cloud where the server will generate rooms, houses or skyscrapers that hold each and every memory from the deceased’s past, or of memories of their choosing. The game starts with you being uploaded to the Soul Cloud, but something has gone wrong and you wake up on a beach not knowing who or where you are. It’s up to you to explore, solve puzzles and try to piece together your life and death.

It's a title that certainly sounds intriguing, and there's not much longer to wait — the studio has announced that it'll arrive in North America and Europe in next week's Download Update, on 24th July, with a price of £9.99 / €11.99 / $14.99.

You can see a trailer for this below; is it on your radar?

Shambo

Shambo said:

I know I'll be getting it! Too few haunting games out there these days... And this one looks very nice.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

will have to wait and see what the masses think of it. Looks interesting but not sure if I have the time to devote to it currently

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Not too confident. All of these guys' games have really poor Metacritic scores.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

If it's all that the trailer makes it out to be, I can't wait! But I have a feeling it won't be :(

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

It looks like it could be great but it never got good reviews on PS3 or PC so I can't see the Wii U version being any different.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

It is on my radar after watching the trailer and remembering what it is. I watched the pc trailer for this long ago on another site and thought "Man, pc gamers get all of the cool, weird games." And now here we are. If it is a lengthy game I'll probably throw down $15 on this.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

for a second, the piano at the start, i thought it was going to play the Song of Time... lol

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

This should be quite exciting for first-person fans. I'm not one of them, but I'm still intrigued by the footage, so to the end of my official backlog queue it goes. :)

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Two indie titles releasing next week then.
I don't remember NL, did you guys acknowledge Wooden Sen Sey's release this coming week yet?

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

On the topic of Master Reboot, it looks like the halfway mark between The Letter and Another World.
Kind of reminds me of some of the futuristic segments from Cloud Atlas while also managing to give off a F.E.A.R. sort of vibe.
Can't be worse than the Letter, that's for sure. Or Gravity Badgers.
Who knows, it seems like the indies on Wii U are learning by their 2nd or 3rd projects.
Affordable Space Adventures looks alot more intriguing to me than Knytt Underground or Bumpie's Party, but that might be just me.

SyntheticPerson

SyntheticPerson said:

It has been out on PC for a while. It is supposed to be pretty good, but I have been waiting for the Wii U release to play it. Looking forward to it!

It should help ease the pain of the ongoing TBA status of Shovel Knight and 1001 Spikes for the EU eshop....

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Think I'll wait on the review for this. So many good eshop games atm ......arctic farming.....dinosaur farming.....farming....truly great games!!! ;)

TheNESLink

TheNESLink said:

My friend bought this game about a month ago on PC and it's actually a fantastic game IMO. Surprising graphics, outstanding story, chilling atmosphere and great scares.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Another first person adventure/point-and-click game... I hope it's better than The Letter.

ToniK

ToniK said:

Metacritic says 59 on PC and 62 on PS3. Seems like a game that has its flaws but if you're gonna like it you're gonna like it. The price is a bit steep but I'm gonna purchase this, either full-priced or from a sale. Looks great and if they gave it a makeover it would be awesome. Probably not though.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Been looking forward to this but should wait till this site reviews it first

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

I remember reading on a site, and recently (probably Polygon, seeing as their anti-Nintendo editorials are becoming all the more one sided) that Nier is the game Zelda wishes it could be, Chrono Trigger is the most overrated RPG is an overrated genre, Folklore is the greatest game no one played and no indie was worth the time, money or effort. I seem to recall 'inept', 'uninspired' and 'pretentious' being the descriptors. After searching said reviewers' reviews, he (or she, there was no picture) had MK8 ranked a 6.5 out of 10, Shovel Knight a 6 out of 10 and Wind Waker a 6 out of 10.
Now, it might just be me, but calling Pokemon a 'fad' seems like just one more sign of said reviewer's stupidity. 18 years, 25 manga series, over 245 million units in sales, Nippon jets, trains, Time magazine, Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloons, 14 soundtracks, 17 films, over 800 episodes, 36 games, guest appearances in dozens of other Nintendo games and dozens of Guinness Records.
Point is, sometimes I trust reviewers.. Other times, I really don't.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

It was pretty popular on Steam, with a decent amount of positive feedback from people who played it.. I'll keep an eye on this one.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I try not to get excited about Wales Interactive games as they don't release their games in my region (Germany). They didn't release Gravity Badgers, so most likely there'll be no Master Reboot for my Wii U this week.

Would like to be proven false.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

Master Reboot has been on my radar for a while now, but a forthcoming NintendoLife review will likely push me one way or the other. Really hoping it's good enough to warrant a purchase though. Fingers crossed I guess.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Hopefully not a straight port of the ps3 and xbox versions, maybe they have addressed some of the problems from the old reviews

Smooty

Smooty said:

@SKTTR Thats because of the crappy USK rating, you guys at germany should raid the USK, cause it seems you dont get as many games because of it..

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

@Smooty Yes, I'll do. Can you send a few Mexican guns to Germany for me and the other USK raiders? We'll clean up that mess. Freedom for indies!