Bayonetta Anime Film Will be Distributed in United States and Canada

Posted by Tim Latshaw

She's never one to shy from the spotlight

Last year we mentioned that everyone's favourite dark yet oh-so-flashy witch Bayonetta was receiving her own anime feature film in Japan, titled Bayonetta: Bloody Fate. Now, thanks to production company FUNimation, the film will be materializing in the United States and Canada as well.

FUNimation has announced today its acquisition of the distribution rights for Bloody Fate in both North American countries. A small preview of the English dub is scheduled to be shown at the Los Angeles Anime Expo on 5th July and will include a Q&A session with director Fuminori Kizaki.

Bayonetta: Bloody Fate was made by Studio Gonzo. It, along with Kizaki, was also responsible for Afro Samurai and its sequel, Afro Samurai: Resurrection. Details on a US/Canadian release date for Bloody Fate have not yet been provided.

Bayonetta fans have a lot to look forward to this year, the movie adding to what was already the double feature of both Bayonetta games releasing for the Wii U this October. Do you plan on catching this film whenever it phases into your world?

[via funimation.com, nintendoeverything.com]

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

An anime with giant devilish-robotic demons and angels. I'm sold.

It will be interesting. To play the games and watch the film after that.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Eh. Well, if I'm buying the game (and the recent 2-for-1 announcement convinced me to) then I might as well watch the anime too. In for a dime...

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Having already played Bayonetta but remember none of the story, this should be good as a refresher.

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

@ejamer
Unfortunately I think it will be costing us more than 10c(?) or a pound. Pity because my bank account could forgive me for spending so little :D

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Wish they gave the date of when they are showing it instead of a preview Q&A. Would have been a good idea to include it in the Double Wii U release so Nintendo gamers get the full experience

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

"Bloody Fate"? Well, I can't single this out as long as there are so many other generic angels/demons/guns/bewbz animes out there... Bayonetta may be a bit too fantasy dudebro for my tastes.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

i have already watched the movie and it is really enjoyable. It will be good to get a localized version.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

One, Funimation dubs are usually quite solid. Two, the directors handled the overt sexual characters in Afro Samurai quite well. Three, I trust Gonzo's animation quality (very solid studio). And four, while it hasn't been confirmed, LA Anime X would also be a likely venue to do a release date announcement.
The film was enjoyable but was never going to be included with the game. A 20-25$ film, free with a game that already has an included, extra game?
If Nintendo had a video distribution service on the eShop like Live and PSN stores do, there might have been a special discount for Bayonetta 2 owners, but come on.
Did anyone else read Wall St Cheat Sheet's article on the Wii U, suggesting that only 3D World, DKC Tropical Freeze and Rayman Legends are worth their price tags and that Wii U isn't a smart buy for any consumer, despite many still enjoying their purchase? It was obviously only written as a comparison between Wii, Wii U and GC and more of a stock broker's sell line than a gaming exposition, but whoever wrote it really only looked at entrenched software. No Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Mario Kart 8 or Monster Hunter 3 (the content added on top of what was in Tri makes it worthwhile).

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

If it's getting released in EU, I'll buy it and watch a fansub version (I'm sure there is one).

SoZettaIsaac

SoZettaIsaac said:

Yay! I'm super excited for the game! I just finished watching the subbed, actually...

Makes me really happy Bayonetta is getting some love! Hope this attracts more fans!

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Let the sub vs dub fight commence! I like dubs. I even find some BETTER than their original Japanese :D

(I hope they'll use the same cast as the game!)

Iggly

Iggly said:

Wait, so this is an anime movie and not an anime series, correct? If so, I'd love to see it at theaters.

Shambo

Shambo said:

If Europe gets it, I get it. That is of course if they understand the technology of having different audio tracks, thus keeping the original, and subtitles. English will suit me just fine, even if it isn't my native tongue. Will watch it anyway, but if they don't want my money for it, they shouldn't come crying over piracy.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

@DiscoGentleman 90s dubs get a lot of hate for being cheesy, but I can't help but love em. Hell, I'll nominate Cowboy Bebop as having the best dub of all time - Period! (Even the creator thinks it's superior)

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

@SahashraLA Wait, you trust Gonzo!? Need I remind you people of the infamous Samurai Seven dance scene? Or Speed Grapher in general(nsfw do not look up)?

allav866

allav866 said:

Bayonetta 2 has me teetering between "Sure, I'll give it a try," and "Nah, not for me." The inclusion of the first game makes it all the more tempting, and this would be something to watch after beating B1.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@whodatninja I'll admit that there definitely are some solid dubs out there, that are enjoyable to watch, but to an Anime purist like me, subbed is the only way to go. Especially in Anime's based on ancient history, myth or folklore anything else than the original is pure blasphemy. And NOBODY does demons like the Japanese do. Western voice actors just can't seem to get that right for some reason.
@ScorpionMG You tell 'em! Couldn't agree more.

Melkac

Melkac said:

@ScorpionMG Yeah. I'm sure watching Fullmetal Alchemist or Attack on Titan in japanese makes a lot of sense...

Anyway, the sub vs dub debate is a matter of which language has the better dub. If the english dub is...watchable, I'll watch it. This VERY rarely happens however, since the english voice don't fit the actual characters most of the time...
Latino dubs are great, though. For anime, at least. Most of their voices fit the characters perfectly and some are even better than their japanese counterparts! (Dragon Ball/Z, Sakura Card Captor, Serial Experiments Lain, Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters [oh god, specially this one], Shaman King...Koni-cha-- [OH MY GOD THIS ONE!!!!!])

Aaaand that's the thing with english dubs. I haven't watched a single english dub that's actually better than the original. I've heard Cowboy Bebop's and FLCL's are better than the japanese ones, but I haven't seen either one of those...
There ARE a lot of great english dubs in western animation, though. Not sure why the anime industry is any different when it shouls be even more professional since most animes aren't aimed at kids/"everyone", they're aimed at teenagers or even adults.

/end rant.

Amateur

Amateur said:

@ZeroZX_Dev , you could at least say this, Seven Samurai was good regardless of the infamous dancing scene, but I'm not so sure about Speed Grapher (I barely watched it.) but, in the end, you can't say they're a bad company just of those 2 things.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@ScorpionMG You're very welcome. Nice to know a fellow Anime purist.
@Melkac You might wanna add "I think that" to "Latino dubs are great", because that is by no means a fact written in stone. Also, what the heck is "Yeah. I'm sure watching Fullmetal Alchemist or Attack on Titan in japanese makes a lot of sense..." supposed to tell us? None of us are saying that they speak fluent Japanese or anything, but besides the obvious lip syncing and often times WAY superior voice castings a true Anime purist also respects the culture that the Anime is coming from, so you watch them in Japanese, with subs in your own language, whichever language that may be. Having samurai's shout at each other in some Latino language seems rather strange to me, but to each his own I guess.