LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham Looks Out of This World

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Coming to Wii U and 3DS, details and screens inside

Warner Bros. and TT Games have announced that they'll be continuing their popular LEGO series of games at the beginning of Autumn / Fall, confirming LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham for a variety of platforms including Wii U and 3DS.

As the title suggests, this entry will go beyond Batman's comfort zone, and will actually take the Caped Crusader — along with a load of DC characters — into outer space. The storyline sounds suitably bonkers, which suits the franchise fine, details below.

In LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, the Caped Crusader joins forces with the super heroes of the DC Comics Universe and blasts off to outer space to stop the evil Brainiac from destroying Earth. Using the power of the Lantern Rings, Brainiac shrinks worlds to add to his twisted collection of miniature cities from across the universe. Now the greatest super heroes and the most cunning villains must unite and journey to different Lantern Worlds to collect the Lantern Rings and stop Brainiac before it’s too late.

Players will unlock more than 150 unique characters from the DC Comics universe, including members of the Justice League and LEGO big figures such as Killer Croc, Solomon Grundy and many more. Fans of all ages will be able to control their favourite heroes and villains with new gadgets and abilities. Brainiac’s mind controlling abilities and the power of the Lantern rings bring unexpected twists to the classic characters’ personalities.

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham also will allow players to explore iconic locations such as the Hall of Justice, the Batcave and the Justice League Watchtower. They will be able to access Batman’s training modules on the Bat Computer and take part in various challenges, battles and races.

An accompanying fact sheet promises more than 150 characters in the home console version, including members of the Justice League, with gadget hacking and space battles thrown in. The portable version, meanwhile, will include more than 105 characters and "45 missions spanning an original storyline", which suggests it may be a spin-off in the style of the Marvel title on 3DS.

No doubt we'll learn more in the coming weeks, and in the meantime below is a teaser trailer and some screens — likely from PS4 or Xbox One — for you to enjoy. Are you excited about this one?

Related Games

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I wish they'd just make a Lego DC game. I know Lego Batman 2 had a huge number of DC characters, but they were mostly bonus content. It was still very much a Batman game. This looks to be the same again.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I hope they continue to change/sharpen the formula...I loved the first batman, Star Wars and Lego City to bits but I dread thinking about playing all those other Lego games they made these past few years. (Haven't played the Lego Movie game yet, want to see the film first, but it didn't seem that different

I hope the game looks more like that trailer, love those scratches and that real world Lego feel.

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

If this game is well made, then I'd be very excited. But it'll probably be a glitched-up piece of crap; just like Lego Marvel was. sigh Warner Bros. aren't getting any more of my money until they actually produce games that aren't broken.

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

I much prefer Lego Batman to the Arkham series. I really looking forward to this :D

Action51

Action51 said:

Excellent! - I own the first two on Wii, and while the second one was a little rushed and didn't realize the open world perfectly, the original was the game that made me a fan of Lego games and is still a favorite to this day.

Something about Batman's style and world actually lends itself to Lego very well. I'm excited to hear this!

Action51

Action51 said:

@Peach64 - Agree.

I loved having Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, and The Flash in Lego Batman 2, but a whole game based around the DC universe, or at least the Justice league would be awesome!

Stu13

Stu13 said:

My niece and I have logged at least a hundred hours doing co-op in Lego Batman 2, so this is great news for me.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm kind of sick of Batman - never a big DC fan to being with, and was hopeing for something new, like Dreamworks Dragons, but at least the Legion of Doom will be in it. Greatest. Supervillain Team. Ever.

Anybody else think Braniac's laugh at the end sounded a bit too much like Kaos?

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@FalconPunch the only decent Luthor is the one from the 90s Superman show, all others were really weak. The humour in LEGO Batman 2 (and it's associated movie) makes that Luthor a distant second. In fact, no-one can name any really good villain or even hero in Superman, they are all badly designed characters.

camerica1618

camerica1618 said:

So I'm guessing this is the DC version of Lego Marvel Superheroes? I'm OK with that. If it turns out to be as good as Lego Marvel I'll definitely be picking it up.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@MadAdam81 The only DC stuff I've ever seen and/or played is the Lego Batman games and Batman Beyond, which is great. Why'd they ever cancel Batman Beyond?

DBPirate

DBPirate said:

Well I was not expecting this but I am SUPER EXCITED FOR THIS! Thank you, TT Games, for continuing to support the Wii U!

ECMIM

ECMIM said:

After Lego City Undercover, I just can't get into Lego games anymore--nothing else comes even close to measuring up.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I still need to play Hobbit, been on my shelf for ages now. No doubt I'll play this too.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Warner bros, can I ask for Arkham Knight as well? Why the hell is that game not coming to the Wii U? Just cause Wii U is running PowerPC and not X86? I just love playing Batman games on my Gamepad....it just made me feel like I'm Batman...

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Why do they call these games Lego Batman when it has other DC characters in it? Why not call it Lego DC Universe. They didn't call Lego Marvel Super Heroes Lego Wolverine or something like that.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@Action51 Well the problem is that you owned it on Wii, the glitchy version with the three section map. The PS3 and Wii U versions are FAR FAR SUPERIOR, with gorgeous graphics (god rays and motion blur and wet roads and heat haze etc.) and true open world gameplay and camera control.

Where is Batman Arkham Knight though?

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

Those screenshots barely look like an improvement over the second game. This is literally just LEGO Batman IN SPAAAAAACE. Oh, well, at least it continues from the tease at the end of the second game.

SleepyCrossing

SleepyCrossing said:

I'm definitely too quick to judge on this, but I always kind of just viewed Lego games as shovelware. Granted, I have never played a Lego title. Nevertheless, I hope its a quality game and sells well..

netroz

netroz said:

Oh no... no more lego... please... and no more batman... c'mon... superheroes universe (DC or Marvel) is so rich... why always the same..?

efaulk84

efaulk84 said:

This will be a better tie in for Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice than the inevitable game that will be made for that movie.

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

@memoryman3 If optimized, the Wii U would be able to run UE4. Nevertheless, the main reason why Arkham Knight isn't coming on Wii U, is simply because Rocksteady would have to put so much effort to optimize it for Wii U (because of its non dev friendly architecture), only for it to sell badly as well. While I do buy third party games, most Nintendo fans don't. Thus releasing Arkham Knight on Wii U is a bad business decision.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@Chubblings I am sure that UE4 can run on Wii U! (It runs on an iPhone 4)

Batman Arkham Knight is UE3 and the Batmobile takes up too much memory. Plus UE3 is inefficient.......
Plus no PS360 either.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

After what they did with the Justice League barely showing up and naming the last game "DC Super Heroes",I think they should have just done LEGO Justice League or start a new LEGO DC super hero game.If they were to do another standalone DC LEGO game,I'd want it to be a 4-player co-op Teen Titans game based off of the original show.Or just a new regular one.I'm getting off-topic.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

@RainbowGazelle What are you talking about? Lego Marvel was amazing! I can never get enough of these, mostly due to the fact that it's the only thing I have close to a beat-em-up these days.

jenkje

jenkje said:

I'm excited. It will complete my two first games in the series, although I do have to admit that they are running on my PC. This one will run on my excellent one and only Wii U...

Action51

Action51 said:

@memoryman3 - glitchy version is right! The most hilarious was getting Superman stuck in an electrical field where he freaked out helplessly forever until I had to quit mid-mission.

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

@memoryman3 I understand that graphics is not a primary concern for a console, but I feel the Wii U could have at least been a bit more powerful. Because although power doesn't make a console good, lack of power does eventually lead to lack of games. Granted, I'll be playing Arkham Knight anyway on PS4, but not everyone can afford multiple consoles, so it's sad to see that people will be missing out on this one.

SMW

SMW said:

I can't wait! Batman and Indiana Jones are my two favorite LEGO franchises!

I'm still behind on LEGO games, but I'm catching up. Just about finished with LEGO Batman 2 then I've got Harry Potter 2, Lord of the Rings, Marvel, LEGO Movie... and I think like one or two others I'm forgetting! :P

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

Loved lego city and lego marvel

This has made the pain of not having arkham knight a little less painful

BUT IT STILL HURTS

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

@memoryman3 I wasn't saying that you didn't have multiple consoles. I meant that I'm sure that there are people out there who bought a Wii U and could only afford one console, and unfortunately would be missing out on a game like Arkham Knight.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

@SleepyCrossing
You really need to give the Lego games a try (you can pick many of them up cheaply 2nd-hand). Lego City Undercover is still one of the best games available on the WiiU, and if you like movies then you'll see dozens of movies and genres parodied !

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

@AshFoxX The game should have been amazing. But it freezes over and again, some missions on our copy cannot be completed because it freezes at the same set points every time, making the game impossible to complete , areas don't load properly on two-player mode, and they even managed to glitch up the minikits on some levels, meaning you have to re-collect them on free-play. The game is just unplayable.