Nintendo's Expanded List of Million Selling Games Includes Some Surprises

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mario Kart Wii shifted one million units in nine months

Earlier today Nintendo's initial financial results highlighted some million sellers for the financial year so far, which covers nine months from 1st April to 31st December 2013. Fully updated results now include more details on some of those loosely confirmed earlier today, along with some surprises, while some firm numbers are given for the highest selling Wii U titles.

Below is the full list with sales for the nine months of this financial year to date, with lifetime sales in parenthesis for games released before 1st April 2013.

3DS

Pokémon X & Y — 11.61 million sales

Animal Crossing: New Leaf — 3.52 million sales (7.38 million lifetime)

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon — 2.57 million sales (3.79 million lifetime)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds — 2.18 million sales

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team — 2 million sales

Tomodachi Collection — 1.82 million sales (Japan only)

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D — 1.43 million sales

Mario Kart 7 — 1.27 million sales (9.35 million lifetime)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 — 1.21 million sales (7.63 million lifetime)

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins — 1.11 million sales

Wii U

Super Mario 3D World — 1.94 million sales

New Super Mario Bros. U — 1.74 million sales (3.89 million lifetime)

New Super Luigi U — 1.51 million sales

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD — 1.15 million sales

Wii Party U — 1.24 million sales

Wii

Mario Kart Wii — 1 million sales (35.26 million lifetime)

It's important to note that these sales figures include eShop downloads and software bundled with hardware; we suspect the latter has contributed a notable boost to New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U and Wii Party U, with bundles including those games available worldwide.

Nevertheless there are some solid numbers in that list alongside the extraordinary presence of Mario Kart Wii, which can still shift seven figures in less than a year; perhaps some old Wii bundles are also helping it along.

Let us know what you think of these figures in the comments below.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

Suprised to see MKW in there.
Also, according to the Q3 Nintendo 2014 Press Conference, Mario Kart 8 will launch in May.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

Also, announced was that we will see games that utilize the NFC feature at E3. Nothing else was all that interesting (at least from a non investor point-of-view.) Except of course, the QOL....

DrMonk

DrMonk said:

It's so sad that Pikmin 3 has not yet sold a million copies. I hope that has legs through the Wii U lifetime.

Dark-Luigi

Dark-Luigi said:

Not suprise to see MKW on the list. That game is so awsome it's almost crazy. Same can be said with MK7. And it's pretty nice to see those other amazing games sell pretty good.

CaptMcCloudAran

CaptMcCloudAran said:

Super Mario World 3D with 1.94 million sales is not bad. Especially that it have only one month and eight days to make that number. Gambate Mario ( ^_^)/

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

NDS is coming to Wii U Virtual console apparently.
"Prospect to overcome technical hurdles in order to realize the virtual console of Nintendo DS also arrived.We will in the Nintendo DS that features a touch screen and two screens, because there is a software lineup very rich, the lineup of the virtual console of the future, will successively added also the title of the Nintendo DS. "
That's translated from the official site http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/140130/02.html

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

While I knew Mario Kart Wii is a phenomenal seller, this is still pretty impressive.

Mario Kart 8 releasing in May is fine with me even though I was hoping for April. Also, the whole QOL (Quality of Life) concept that Iwata talked sounded pretty ambitious and broad. Also, there's going to be games that will use NFC to be announced at E3. Nintendo will be also be reaching out to smart phones after all.

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Loved MKWIii, the online feuture worked fantastically unlike SSB's. MK is must have for Online.

Compared to the other games, 3d world is actually selling very well, since it has no bundles and has been around much shorterthan the others. I feel Pikmin 3, Lego City, and ZombiU will hit 1 million by end of year.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I actually bought 2 copies of Mario Kart Wii this year.....one for my parents house and a new copy for mine since the 2 year old put quarters in the Wii and the disk got scratched all to heck

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

@Kaze_Memaryu Yea. I'm not sure I believe it, but it's coming from the official site. Granted, we still haven't gotten GBA or N64 so who even knows how long this will take. :/

Emblem

Emblem said:

Can someone smarter than me work out the percentage of Eshop downloads on this figures by comparing this info with the latest retail only info?

From a guess i'd say its between 10-20%

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@JubilifeRival
They will. Keep in mind, Link Between Worlds has only been out a couple months. THAT'S NOT BAD. By the end of this generation, these games will be at 6-12 million sold.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Note Mario Kart Wii is STILL selling 7 digits, even in the midst of a new console generation. Now, I want you to think.... Mario Kart 8.

2Sang

2Sang said:

I'm shocked fire emblem isn't up there with albw and acnl. I was hoping it was going to give the series the attention it deserves, but maybe not.

element187

element187 said:

@CaptMcCloudAran and if the install base was larger 3D World would have sold gangbusters..... I'm surprised that not every Wii U owner has his game yet. But it's an ever green title and will continue to sell throughout the consoles life time.

element187

element187 said:

@JaxonH problem is will the casuals plop down $300 just to play the upgrade... To you and I it's an emphatic heck yes. The game looks amazing. But I don't think it will move as many systems, at least not at launch, but a bundle for holiday 2014 it might move systems.

kereke12

kereke12 said:

This is good but it could do better, and Mario Kart Wii Is King!! I can imagine when Mario Kart 8 comes out.

JoeyZXD

JoeyZXD said:

The Wii U games sold a lot better than I thought. And it's incredible how popular Mario Kart Wii is still selling!

JoeyZXD

JoeyZXD said:

I was sure Fire Emblem would sell 1 million. I heard people couldn't find it anywhere. I couldn't find a used copy anywhere for months lol

Darthziggy

Darthziggy said:

Don't forget that here in the US, Mario Kart Wii comes bundled with the new Wii Mini. Though it's not a huge seller, it still caught a lot of attention at holiday time with the $99 price tag.
Heck, if you break it down: Wii remote = $40, nunchuck = $20, MK Wii = $40... you're basically getting the system for free.

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

It's sad that a great game like A Link Between Worlds can only pull a couple million sales during holiday season, meanwhile the new Call of Dudebro game sleepwalks its way to 20 million sales behind bad press and terrible user reviews.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Mario Kart Wii deserves every sale it gets. It's the best £30 I ever spent on a game. Everyone MK fan would have preferred Nintendo to have launched MK8 earlier and we all think it will be the title to 'save' the Wii U but I reckon we might end up being thankful that EAD were given the extra year to make MK8 perfect!

I hope they are taking that time to fill the game with every MK track ever.

Goginho

Goginho said:

Here's hoping that Mario Kart 8 reaches beyond those numbers of Mario Kart Wii. There's no reason it shouldn't, as MK8 seems to be a drastic improvement over MKWii.

Goginho

Goginho said:

@JaxonH @kereke12
Yeah, I just hope people don't go sayin', "oh, but I already have Mario Kart on mah Wiiiii..", not noting the major differences. Similar to how most casual consumers say, "oh, but I already have a Wiiii", when speaking about the Wii U.

Shworange

Shworange said:

@Gerbwmu
Oh man, I'm glad I'm not alone with child game horrors. Our 18 month old got ahold of animal crossing city life, dropped it on the ground, stepped on it, and ground it into a pile of crushed Cheerios (which he just created 9 seconds earlier). Needless to say, the disk was toast.

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice said:

@Goginho

How can anyone realistically think Mario Kart 8 will outsell Mario Kart Wii??!
"There's no reason it shouldn't"?? How about the fact MKW has sold more units already than there likely ever will be Wii-U consoles sold?? Or even if the Wii-U sold 35 million consoles, it would mean every owner would have to have bought MK8.

JtotheY

JtotheY said:

@DrMonk I hope they will re-release Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101. Those games must be seen and played by everyone! Just include them in some commercials and re-release them as 'Nintendo's Choice' or something.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

Mario kart wii is being bundled with the original gamecube playing Wii on amazon.co.uk for £125. If that's not a bargain I don't know what is. That might explain the sales figures.

DrMonk

DrMonk said:

@JtotheY True dat... it would be a shame for people to miss out on these early gems. I happen to think Zombi U is a great game too, but that at least can be found cheaply (both at retail and on the eShop).

Goginho

Goginho said:

@JohnRedcorn -_-

:p lol I knew somebody was gonna reply that, and I deliberately left out a portion of my comment for that reason.
Okay, so...Mario Kart Wii has most likely been a major player in getting Wii consoles off the shelves (obviosuly amongst other, more casual, titles), and you can't expect to sell consoles without games, meaning that a lot of people bought a Wii because of MKWii, amongst other titles. There need to be an appealing group of games (or even just one game in some cases) in order to justify a purchase for many consumers. You can't always expect the, "oh, first we need to get 50 mil consoles selling, and then we can expect a certain game to sell", meaning you're selling an 'empty system'. Games sell consoles, whether MK8 will sell so many Wii Us I have no control over. I can only make a vague prediction, a shot in the blue.

""There's no reason it shouldn't"??", well from a purely product value perspective, MK8 seems loads better than MKWii, respectively, so there is no reason in that department that it should't sell as much, perhaps even more imo.. Whether there are enough Wii U systems out there in a few years time for the game to sell that much, again, I have no control over, and so we would need to look at percentage ratios in order to be able to compare the success of the two titles. You know, see the percentage of how many MKWii games were sold compared to how many Wiis there are, and compare that percentage to how many Wii Us vs. MK8 games. When MK8 ends up reaching a higher games to console ratio than MKWii in the according amount of time, then to me the game has reached its hypothetical 35 million or w/e lifetime, despite there maybe not even being as much consoles, you know.

So it all depends on how you look at it. I stand by my point that there is no reason the game shouldn't sell as much, considering it's looking like the most a Mario Kart game can ever have at this day and age: crisp, modern HD visuals: fresh, unique, new concepts; tight controls (from the looks of it); unique and exciting, never-before-seen tracks; plus a GamePad that will most likely add to the overall gameplay experience...etc..
MKWii was innovative and definitely added a lot to the series, like bikes, steering wheel and what not, but it was also definitely a game not without its cons, flaws and frustrations, and has major room for improvement. I'm confident that MK8 does a lot to improve upon from MKWii, while adding a ton more, making it hard for me to criticize and nitpick and see the wrongs. I have to admit, the game isn't out yet, so I may change my opinion when I get my hands on it, but from the looks of it so far, the team has done (is doing) a great job, and I can't seem to think of any (major) improvements they could do for the next one after this (apart from the obvious new tracks). Even on the graphical level, there's not much more you could do, only polish some things up and what not, but overall I think gaming has reached its peaks and can only improve minimally from here, possibly making MK8 the definitive version for this generation and the next imo..

FLipSide5254

FLipSide5254 said:

Physical copy and Digital copy are all counted as one? or this is only physical copy for Wii U sells?

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Goginho Everything is great about Mario Kart other than the rubberbanding (Which single handedly manages to completely ruin it).

Mizzah_Tee

Mizzah_Tee said:

5 million sellers in it's first year for Wii U. That's pretty awesome. And Mario Kart Wii selling a million for Wii last year. A console that's been dead for what... 2 years? Wow FOOS!

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Funny that there are some who thought FE sold a million.
It's a niche game.
On supposedly 'archaic architecture', if you believe the pundits that claim dedicated gaming handhelds are dead in the water.
People that talk like that are called 'not Japanese'.