New Teaser Trailer For Yoshi's New Island Emerges During Today's Nintendo Direct

Posted by Orla Madden

It's oh so beautiful

A brand new teaser trailer for Yoshi's New Island was shown during today's Nintendo Direct broadcast, along with Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announcing the game would arrive on 2DS and 3DS consoles in Spring 2014 in North America and Europe.

The game is being directed by Nintendo’s Takashi Tezuka, who previously worked on Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Watch the charming platformer in action below and get ready to be captivated by its beautiful art style and relaxing music. Be sure to let us know in the comment section if this is on your wishlist next year.

Humphries90

Humphries90 said:

I'm sure last time you previewed it, you said it looked like a bad GBA game. I see no difference since then.

Gioku

Gioku said:

...I'm still getting this game! ...I'm the biggest Yoshi's Island fan there is! :D :D
<--- (check out my little Shy Guy I always carry around for proof!)

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

Hmm. Will Tezuka's role as director help saving the... unconvincing game we saw last time? We'll see...

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I love the original Yoshi's Island; it's one of my favourite games, but this game doesn't seem to add anything new. Granted it'll probably be better than the DS iteration (wouldn't be too difficult), but even the art style was better on the GBA/SNES version.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Never got the vitriol for this game. It's always looked great in my opinion, and even more so now. Along with Kirby, Layton, and Bravely Default, it looks like I'll have no shortage of awesome 3DS games to play early next year.

AK-1138

AK-1138 said:

Hmm, finally a worthy sequel of one of the greatest platforming games ever? My faith, they have it.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I think this game is looking a little better, and certainly with having the man behind the original game directing it again, it should be in good hands. Have some optimism for once!

1958Fury

1958Fury said:

Looks like fun, but I hope they don't make it obscenely difficult. I didn't enjoy the DS version. Guess my reflexes aren't what they used to be.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Definitely going to buy this game, but I still think it could use some much-needed polishing.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I don't get all the hate for Yoshi's Island DS. I found it to be a wonderful game, and it was also a critical success. Hell, I don't get the hate that Yoshi's Story got. That was one of my favorite N64 games.

With that aside, this game looks wonderful! However, what I'm really am anxious for is more info on Yarn Yoshi.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

@Stubborn_Monkey He is actually the producer if I recall from the direct. You certainly live up to your name! Have some faith, it'll be fun, won't break the nostalgia hold of the first game but still fun!

rjejr

rjejr said:

I could enjoy this more if Nintendo would tell us whats up with Yarn Yoshi. Seriously, how long ago was that gsme wnnounced and what have we hewrd about it since? Its a 2D platformer, whats going on?

mamp

mamp said:

IDK the game looks like it brings nothing new to the table, giant eggs????

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Hmm... I really like the Yoshi Island game on SNES, but any other Yoshi game after that I could never really get into. Not really looking forward to this game at all. I really want that kirby game though.

Knux

Knux said:

It honestly still looks like utter crap, which is probably how the final game will turn out to be.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I'm still not sold on the visuals. I think I need to see them in action to make a decision.

I need more footage, too. I thought the second showing of a game was supposed to really blow the whole thing open and get us excited, but that was just like the footage we saw before. I need to see creativity and exciting gameplay before I get excited--not just Yoshi hopping around like he's in a game for babies.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Azrest are developing it, so I really have no interest in this lol. I'd love to be proven wrong, but given the company's track record (and the previews for this very game), I doubt I will be.

Azrest were previously Artoon, a company that made Yoshi's Universal Gravitation (one of the most horrendous licensed Nintendo games that wasn't on the Philips CDi), Yoshi's Island DS (a passable but entirely forgettable Yoshi's Island 1.5 with almost no new ideas, and what new mechanics they did include didn't exactly work brilliantly a lot of the time) and the terrible Blinx games for the original X-Box. Yeaaah.

Assassinated

Assassinated said:

@Giygas_95 I don't think you do. Super Mario World 2 was never offered in the ambassador program. Yoshi is a puzzle game, not the platformer you're thinking of.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Assassinated Uh...well, it's the GBA game known as Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 so it's not technically the original, but it's very close.

When I said "the original" I was referring to the original Yoshi's island, not the Yoshi puzzler on NES which was also offered to ambassadors.

Ah, I see. You thought I was confusing Yoshi with Yoshi's Island. Yes, Yoshi was an ambassador game, but so was the GBA port of the SNES Yoshi's Island. That's the game I was talking about.

Gioku

Gioku said:

...I guess I'm the only one here who just blindly enjoys Yoshi's Island games, lol. ...I also blindly enjoy Kirby games too, haha! :)

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I love the first Yoshi's Island game, but this just looks way early or something. The graphics look muddy and unpolished and the I don't understand why it should be fun. I'm glad the original director is back — and maybe he's being announced because he's going to save the original project and we haven't seen the real results yet — I really hope that's the case.

@rjejr It looks like the assets for the Wii U Yoshi game were used in Sonic Lost World DLC. Does not bode well for the future of that Yoshi game. It sure looked a lot more promising than this game.

SDDMN

SDDMN said:

To be honest, I would have much preferred more news about Mario Golf World Tour over this game (specifically a release date). I just hope there haven't been any snags and Nintendo or Camelot had to cancel the game.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Meh, still looks good, but was hoping for better looking graphics than from the first time it was shown in a direct.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Still not convinced by this one at all.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe looks stunning in basically every way to me and on the flip-side there's this.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@aaronsullivan - "It looks like the assets for the Wii U Yoshi game were used in Sonic Lost World DLC. "

Yeah, I noticed it looked a lot like yarn yoshi but apparently that's how Yoshi games look so I figured it was just my ignorance of past yoshi games.

I'm going to look at the bright side and think the Sonic DLC was based on a game Sega thought would be out already. Nintneod is so weird, anything they announce months in advance is delayed - Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U - or they announce it the day before it comes out. I'm guessing Yarn Yoshi at E3 and we get it next fall. What other big name platformer can they have for next holiday? They always have one and DKCTF and SM3DW will be out. SSB will apparently be a big holiday release - I'ld rather see late summer as it will sell whenever but that's just me - but they still need a holiday platformer. One can hope.

ZephyrTortera

ZephyrTortera said:

I'm gonna be optimistic here and say that the release date hasn't been told to us yet. As far as we know, it could be in development for awhile. I'm not going to judge an entire game off of, what, 40 seconds of footage. It could even come after Smash Bros, we don't even know. This could one great Yoshi's Island game, we'll just have to wait until more is released. I wouldn't discount it yet.