Ripstone Confirms Plans to Include Sony Systems in Wii U and 3DS Pure Chess Online Multiplayer

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Believes the Wii U audience "has a voracious appetite for content"

Pure Chess, alongside the Nnooo-published Cubemen 2, is forging ahead on new ground for Nintendo systems by introducing cross-platform online multiplayer. In both cases Wii U players (also on 3DS in the case of Pure Chess) will be able to take on other players that are on smartphone and tablet platforms, another demonstration of Nintendo's increasingly supportive and open approach to download-only games.

While hooking up with multi-functional iOS and Android systems is a pleasing progression, Pure Chess publisher Ripstone has confirmed that it's planning to open up its multi-platform multiplayer to allow Nintendo system owners to tackle those that have the game on the PS4 (when released), PS3 or Vita — actual console wars, in chess at least. Here's what Riptone's Phil Gaskell said to Eurogamer about Nintendo's approachability and the plans to bring Sony and Nintendo gamers together in the title.

They're (Nintendo) changing their policies on the technical side a lot swifter. We're launching Pure Chess and Knytt Underground later this year, and on Pure Chess we asked whether we could do cross-platform multiplayer, expecting it to be the typical closed console platform I've been used to working with for 20 years. Within a couple of days they said, 'yep, no problem. You can have other console players playing against Wii U players. You can have smartphone players play against them. No problem.'

We're still talking to Sony about them relaxing their policies, but we don't think they'll have any issue with it. So when we launch Pure Chess you'll be able to play against Wii U, 3DS, iOS and Android players. And when we patch PlayStation those consoles will be added into the mix as well.

Gaskell also explained his company's thinking in moving to Wii U, despite existing sales and userbase figures not necessarily inspiring confidence.

I know by looking at some of the statistics that while Wii U doesn't have a huge audience right now, that audience has a voracious appetite for content. And if no-one's going to serve them games, well, Ripstone will, without a doubt.

Indie games don't need huge audiences They're often personal and niche creations. They only need niche audiences to be profitable.

Would you like to see more multi-platform games support online multiplayer across different consoles, and what do you think of Gaskell's comments? Let us know in the comments below.

[via eurogamer.net]

Related Games

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

Kill those Sony mofos! At chess. Lol very nice article, support this guy!

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

Veracious hey? I do suppose I have an appetite for speaking the truth, but not sure how that applies... ;)

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

"When I read about people like EA pulling out of the console, I perk up because I think, well, if they're not serving the audience that exists with games someone needs to."
I almost spit out my orange juice when I read this and will probably buy this Chess game because of it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm going to have to file this under "believe it when I see it", like the Toki Tori 2 level editor - but it's really good to read that somebody is at least trying to do this w/ Nintendo and Sony.

Can Android and iOS play games against each other yet?

Kodeen

Kodeen said:

@rjejr

Sure can, I play words with friends on my Android phone with my brother and mom who are on iOS.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

this can actually work! i will get this for sure, Can't wait to destroy some sony fans :D

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Why can't more people make games like this instead of bullcrapping and giving supporters of one system the short end of the stick? Hopefully before long companies like this one will be at the forefront of the gaming industry.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Interesting. If widely adopted it would take away one differentiator - i.e. 'I'm getting this game on 360 because I like to play on-line and that version will have the bigger community'.

Freakazoid

Freakazoid said:

Hmm i was thinking about getting this, but with this comment from them, im sure to get this.
Also they warmed my heart XD

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Lol.. Sony vs Nintendo gamers in Chess. That'd be a first, and I like it!

I will so support these developers and buy the game.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Kodeen - Thanks, that's good to know. My wife is thinking about getting an "i" something. I'm sticking w/ Android.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

I have a voracious appetite for content, I now have 11disk games and am about to be on my last screen for downloads. Was looking the other day at how I need to move my games to a different shelf by Christmas, due to at least 3 but maybe 4 purchases before then. This is another game I am interested in and will add to my ever growing need for folders on the Wii u main screen :-)

SMW

SMW said:

I'm not a big fan of chess, but I love what they are doing! Haven't really had cross-platform multiplayer since the Dreamcast! (Quake 3 and 4x4 Evo both let Dreamcasters play against PC/Mac users. Sure PC/Mac had advantages in both games, but still.)

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

This is something I would like to see in more games
Imagine playing cod on Wii u against a 360 or PS3 player

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

"Believes the WiiU audience has a 'voracious appetite for content'". LOL He's right. WiiU owners are starved for games. Aw poor guy. XD

jsty3105

jsty3105 said:

@Sean_Aaron As long as it's anything like the classic game, Hong Kong Mahjong Pro, then sign me up too! I play quite a bit of Mahjong myself, the proper variety, not the match 2 ones.

If anyone here is up for a chess game or two once this game launches, add my NNID - jsty3105

Ventilator

Ventilator said:

I will get it on Wii U, especially because of the way the developer thinks. They beg for my money. :) The same reason why i bought Toki Tori 2, and why i will buy their 3 next Wii U games even when i already own all of them on Steam.
The price for PS3 version is about 5 bucks, and over 10 bucks including all DLC. A pinpoint on Wii U price.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

lets be fair, the lobbies will die down eventually, so combining all the console ones together would at least give you more chance of finding someone to face at least... XD

Ventilator

Ventilator said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King: Not everything comes to all platforms. Its doesen't matter how simple and complicated it is. ;) I also googled it, and no plans for Xbox release. Remember that many Indie devs don't release on 360 at all, because its too much hassle. Even MS admitted that sometime this year. ;) When that said, i own 2 Xbox 360's, Wii U, 2 PS3's, VITA, Wii and many older. ;)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm greatly looking forward to playing this game, asynchronous & cross-platform play is amazing as it won't matter when or how many people play on Wii U or 3DS as I can verse other people when I like & even if they're playing on a different platform - truly awesome! :D No waiting in lobbies or anything like that, very exciting :D
... Now I just have to learn how to play & become interested in chess itself haha :p

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

They're correct. They're absolutely correct.

I love the heck out of Nifflas, I'm so glad that they're porting Knytt Underground to Wii U. It's a day one purchase.

And I might actually consider purchasing this Chess game now, although I never was big on Chess...

PikminWorld

PikminWorld said:

More developers should do cross-platform online multiplayer so they can make dedicated servers without worrying about depopulated servers for a particular system. This way there won't be any exclusions of multiplayer from a system that doesn't have a lot of people or so they say (Arkham Origins) and they don't lose money making dedicated servers and online features.

JustinH

JustinH said:

Give this guy the Nobel Prize for Not Being an Idiot in Video Game Publishing.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I'll believe it when I see it but I wish the guy the best at trying to get this done.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Yay, multiplatform play. I'm sold! :D

Now if only we could get multiplatform discounts by buying on both 3DS and Wii-U... :P

micronean

micronean said:

This is great forward thinking by both the developer, and Nintendo for making it happen. I hope there can be more games that allow cross-platform online. Games like chess would be a natural. Ditto for trivia games like Jeopardy or trivial Pursuit.
...and I can only wish a game like Project C.A.R.S. could do this with the PC community...

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

What a wonderful attitude! I won't be buying this game but kudos for the positive vibes :)

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

I actually saw a Pure Chess trailer on the PlayStation Store for the PS4 and it's slated for a 15 Apr release. If the cross-platform multiplayer is confirmed, I am TOTALLY buying it for both my Wii U AND PS4. Go VooFoo, go!