Hulu Plus Now Available on the 3DS in the US

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

For realsies

In October 2011 we heard that Hulu Plus was coming to the 3DS, and then we heard that it was still in the works in January 2012; then we probably wrote it off as the months drifted by. It may have been two years in the making, but Nintendo has now announced that a new Hulu Plus app will be available to download from the 3DS eShop today. And so the saga ends.

As expected, the TV streaming service will work right away on the portable for any existing subscribers; simply log in and you should be good to go. There'll be a one week free trial for new subscribers, and Nintendo is plugging the various children's options in its official press release.

Users who have a wireless broadband Internet connection can visit the Nintendo eShop to download Hulu Plus. The application will allow users to navigate using the touch screen and view thousands of television shows and movies on the go. It also brings some of the best TV shows for children – including a larger selection of Jim Henson Family titles than any other video subscription service – to the platform through the Hulu Kids hub.

Hulu Plus is yet another entertainment option on Nintendo 3DS. In addition to multiple video services like Nintendo Video and social-sharing applications like StreetPass Mii Plaza and Swapnote, users can play the entire library of more than 2,000 Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS games. Nintendo 3DS also features an extensive selection of downloadable software in the Nintendo eShop, including games, videos and applications.

Hulu Plus is only available in the US and Japan, and costs $7.99 a month in the former. Do you plan to make use of this app?

Gold

Gold said:

I'll download it for the Club Nintendo coins.... If there are any

Tekken179

Tekken179 said:

I'm still waiting on Netflix reaching the UK for the 3DS... Ok so It'll probably never appeal to most of us especially when you have a TV/PC/Phone/Tablet/Wii/WiiU/PS3/Xbox etc. I have three boys who are 3DS/Cartoon mad, this would bring me so many more joyful quiet hours.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

That is so odd. I was laying in bed, watching Netflix on my 3DS (First time in forever) and I was like "Hey, it would be cool if Hulu was on here" — also a first for me thinking that and bam. lol

rjejr

rjejr said:

"For realsies"

Best. Caption. Ever.

(And I'm ashamed to admit it took me a few seconds to decipher it.)

Marshi

Marshi said:

Yeah youtube and lovefilm/netflix would be great on the 3ds here in the uk. And whats more certain films could be played in 3d like their cinema equivelent. But who am I kidding,it will be yet more potential from the 3ds overlooked due to fear of something not selling on a nintendo system

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

In Canada we have heard of this thing called HULU, it sounds wonderful. Maybe one day...maybe

kereke12

kereke12 said:

WOW WHAT A SURPRISE!! It's about time, after all these years Lol. Now all we need is Youtube.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

About time. This was mentioned at launch. Granted, I'm not a frequent user of Netflix on my 3DS (still waiting on those promised 3D movies), but I will probably download this for the random times it may come in handy.
As a service, I would highly recommend it, though. My wife and I got rid of cable altogether and use Hulu instead. It's certainly a cheaper option.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Only if they offer Club Nintendo coins for it will I downloaded it. I dont have a Hulu subscription so this doesn't really interest me, but its nice for those who do.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Man, it would be cool if Hulu was remotely interested in taking my money. Sadly, they have no interest at all in my suspicious Canadian dollars.

I guess they're new and still trying to figure out this whole "capitalism" thing.

Kit

Kit said:

What's a Hulu, precious? Is that some kind of Meekan thang!

supremii

supremii said:

I would like a report on why there is such a delay with these services in Europe. Not even amazon's lovefilm works here… and no communication about the whys and whens. Man, that sucks. A missed chance for Nintendo imo.

tchaten

tchaten said:

I heard there is an amazing syncing feature with the Wii U version - and they talk - TechCrunch did a wonderful post on the thought that went into this release!

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

And yet the UK still doesnt have Netflix what a joke!
Why are we still waiting for that how hard is that to do

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

@DarkKirby Yes, and still get ads. I tried a trial Hulu Plus subscription on the Wii and just couldn't stand the ads. So I canceled the trial. I won't try it again.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

I don't see any point in this. Regular Hulu on my PC is free, so why would I pay a monthly subscription fee just to be able to watch on my 3DS?

Superstick

Superstick said:

Imo watching media is not really a good idea to do on the 3DS. It lacks picture quality. Everything else like the games are fine but I mean why would anyone watch tv in such a low resolution?

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Yay! That took forever!
Instant download when I get my 3DS issue fixed.
Also, I see that The Simpsons is now available on Hulu Plus...
Yay! That took forever!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Nintenjoe64 It was good but there were far less alternatives in those days. (My TV / Blu Ray / Cable Box all have an iplayer implimentation built in. My Tablet can use one which until recently was awful but now it is quite good). Don't think a version of it without download support (Which only my Tablet can do) would be that useful. It is better to have a good version.

(Don't know about the technicalities of whether that can be done to an external drive or not - Would have thought if it could then some 3rd parties that mandate installs on 360/PS3 would have done it or offered it as an option).

(The BBC are awful when it comes to updating stuff they don't even support the newer DRM used by the modern ui part of Windows 8. Which is put on in exactly the same way as the plays for sure one they already support. 2 second job give them support for Windows Phone / Windows 8 / Windows RT).

Wouldn't be surprised if it took ages for the new xbox and playstation ones.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

And where is the Netflix for 3DS for Mexico?? In Wii and Wii U Netflix in Mexico has no problem but in 3DS the service doesn´t appear.

When for Mexico??

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

hmm well thats nice i guess what about more wii u stuff though :|

btw did we really need that huge treta pic?