Alien Haters Rejoice, You'll Be Able To Blast Xenomorphs In Call Of Duty: Ghosts

Posted by Damien McFerran

New online Extinction mode is teased

Call of Duty has featured a 'Zombies' mode in the past few entries, but it looks like Activision is going to change things up a little for Call of Duty: Ghosts. Instead of slaying the undead, you'll be facing opponents from a planet far, far away.

According to leaked screenshots — and a post on the Call of Duty Instagram account — the game will feature an online co-op mode called Extinction, which sees you blowing away aliens and destroying their hives.

Activision has yet to officially confirm the new mode, but Xbox 360 achievements relating to it have appeared online.

[via imgur.com, eurogamer.net]

MAB

MAB said:

I can see your halo, halo, halo... I can see your halo, halo, HALOOOO!

Emblem

Emblem said:

This will be my first COD game since modern warfare so i'm hoping it will be good. Still haven't decided if i will get it for PC or Wii U yet though, i'll wait for the reviews to make sure their are no missing features or technical issues.

5ony

5ony said:

Reminds me of that one game in Wreck it Ralph. Hero's Duty, I think it was.

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

@Emblem No, don't wait for the Reviews, it's like the reviewers get paid to give it 9s and 10s even though it's not deserving it...So just comparing to MW and see the similarities and don't buy it if they are too similar. :)

Chris720

Chris720 said:

What is this? Why are there aliens... In a Call of Duty game? What... what's going on... I am mentally confused...

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Awesome!

I was planning on maybe getting this as sort of an "F You" to EA and their precious Battlefield 4 that's "too good" to be on Wii U.

But alien hunting is now a huge selling point for me! :D

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

This game just got that much better (if this feature is available for the Wii U)

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

If I were to get this game, it will be on the 360. Not enough people will be online with the WiiU to have constant matches, unfortunately.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, sounds good to me. I've quite enjoyed zomies mode in the past black ops games (i might've played it a bit more than the story mode.) so heck yeah. I'm quite interested to see what this offers.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

As if that Dog weren't big enough reason to buy it, this turns up and actually makes me want it more.

LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO said:

Do we know what the Wii U version looks like? I hope it looks better than the 360 and PS3 version.

Cohort

Cohort said:

Why am expecting a press release from Activision soon, "Extinction not available for Wii U"..

DudeSean

DudeSean said:

Extinction is Infinity Ward's answer to Treyarch's Zombies. People here seem to act like all Call of Duty games are made by the same people. You guys know that there's two totally different development teams that make the CoD games, right?

Sidewinder

Sidewinder said:

@Emblem Wii CoD's have always run well, except for bad hit detection in WaW and even more so in CoD 4. However, Black Ops, MW3, and Black Ops 2 all ran good on the hardware. If you want to play with the GamePad or Wii Mote get it for Wii U. Mouse and Keyboard for PC.
But, DLC may not come to Wii U.

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@DudeSean Stop wasting your time defending CoD companies we know already. The point is that this mode is almost as bland as the Treyarch Zombies version.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@Cohort Because that's what we will see soon. I hope to be proven wrong, but I have too many doubts and history teaches us to be prepared for this type of disappointment.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

Check out the "Wii U" section of the pre-order page:

The red lettering under where you select your region stating: Current selection is unavailable in your region. Check back for updates.

Now that is something to worry about as a Wii U owner. Love the "Full support of Nintendo and the Wii U" Activision!

ACK

ACK said:

@D3athBr1ng3r187 Zombies and presumably this Extinction mode are awesome bonuses that only increase the value of already rich games. In fact, know several people who bought BO and BO2 primarily for the Zombies mode. It may be somewhat generic, but they pack lots of little secrets around the difficult progression to keep it compelling. Also, the ability to play couch co-op with separate screens makes it one of the absolute highlights of the Wii U version.

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@ACK True but if I wanted Coop and Progression in a FPS I'll play Borderlands or the new Bungie title Destiny with my buddies. CoD is getting more generic in every department and this "new" mode isn't nothing "rich" to change the tide of this game so i'm not trying to offend you at all just a formal opinion but I don't see this corridor shooter mode exciting at all.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

Aliens partially inspired the plot of some 2D metroid games so don't diss on Xenomorphs.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

What a joke. If someone wanted to play a good alien shooter, they'd go play colonial marines. Oh, wait...

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

Whats the betting odds that this wont be an available game mode on Wii U?
Odds on evens I think.

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

I'm sure the Wii U version won't include this...I do hope I'm wrong for the sake of those that make the plunge, though.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@Cohort Man, I'm really hoping that doesn't happen, but I'm realistic in my expectations. I preordered right after the Wii U announcement of this game and was told "Oh, your preorder gets you the Free Fall Map on the Wii U!" So, I think to myself "Cool, maybe Activision won't muck this one up!" 2 weeks later there is no icon next to the pre-order emblem for the Wii U version, but no official announcement that Free Fall isn't coming to the Wii U... what other conclusions should I draw from the Graphics on the pre-order site lacking the Free Fall icon? Today I went to the Pre-order section of the Ghosts site and it says "Current Selection is unavailable in your region. Check back for updates" Does that mean that they have up and cancelled the Wii U version?! Whatever the hell it is that they are doing at Activision, that they consider "Fully Supporting the Wii U", is just not quite enough in my opinion! Dedication to something means full support not gimped half-a**ed support. I'm just tired of flip flopping companies and their stance on the Wii U.

Cohort

Cohort said:

@Unit_DTH I get no enjoyment out of saying this but I really think that Wii U owners are going to very disapointed. I'm not expecting anything more than BLOPS II with a new lick of paint. I'm tempted to just stick with BLOPS II as the only incentive for Wii U owners to get Ghosts will be dedicated servers, but how long before that gets pulled?

This "full support" from Ubisoft and Activision has been a bit of a joke hasn't it? I decided to take a "wait and see" approach regarding 3rd party games while ago, Deus Ex was a very nice surprise :)

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@D3athBr1ng3r187 you seem to forget that those titles are not available on Nintendo platforms, I love zombie based shooters and buy only Nintendo consoles so for me and many like me, this is big news. Also, it's comes across as more than a bit hypocritical to call a game generic for adding a new mode, in an attempt to become less generic and more so to slate a game you havnt even seen yet never mind played! I'm not a fan of the cod franchise, I agree they lack diversity in previous generations but as a zombie lover, I bought black ops just for that mode!

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@ULTRA-64 Ummm.......that wouldn't be a problem if you had more consoles rather than being "loyal" to a brand system and also if you "love" zombie games you probably missed out on the Left 4 Dead series which is a real coop zombie based FPS and not a mode/DLC. Regardless of my opinions which I been playing these boring zombie sections since WAW way before you even knew CoD had such a mode probably so as stands I don't see this Alien mode any newer than the vanilla game.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@Cohort I hear ya. As far as Deus Ex goes... WOW, I played it on my 360 when it launched, but the Wii U version has me enjoying the game like I never played it! Deus EX: HR DC is the best example of how a port for the Wii U should be made! Take note Activision and Ubisoft, not that they will ever see this post. LOL I am looking forward to Ghosts, but with my own reservations. I like BLOPS 2 on the Wii U better than I did on any other console, simply because the online isn't completely overrun with 12 year olds spouting constant nonsense about how great they are at a video game and showing off the fact that they just learned how to curse! Other than that, I do hope to see more players on the Wii U version of Ghosts... maybe.

Cohort

Cohort said:

@Unit_DTH It's an awesome game, the gamepad features are incredible, I very impressed, especially as the game came from Square-Enix.

I actually enjoyed BLOPS II on Wii U as well, I'm not big on DLC but I probably would have bought some maps if available, I didn't like activision's stance of sticking two fingers up at the people who bought the game because of low sales. "No DLC but to make up for it here's a double XP weekend..." Wow, thanks, lads!

I guess there's the dedicated servers and no quickscoping to look forward to in Ghosts, I just hope that it's not completely gimped as it does actually look quite good.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@Cohort What's your NNID? Mine is Unit_DTH, add me to your FL and I'll add you to mine. You seem like a similar minded individual. ;)

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@D3athBr1ng3r187 your right, I did miss l4d, my choice, I can live with that. I miss out on allot of games but I have my reasons for only buying Nintendo and I still don't have time for all the games on the one console I buy each gen so I'm happy. The zombie genre is old now but I'm nearly 30 and have been gaming a loooong time now, I know what I like and other than zombie games I play allot of alien ones so for me, a non-mw buyer who waits for blops for my kicks with cod, this might just tempt me. Sorry it doesn't float your boat man!

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@ULTRA-64 That's ok but you have to realise that i'm no sloth to gaming either my first console is NES and later Genesis so on. So I agree with your comments regardless of my opinions.

InternetFurret

InternetFurret said:

@LUIGITORNADO knowing that treyarch is developing ghosts for the wiiu, be sure that it will looks different from othets current gen consoles (because 3arc is using a different engine)

Csaw

Csaw said:

I didn't read the full title. When I read Xenomorphs I thought that was going to be the name of Monolithsoft's new title. That's disappointing.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Anyone see a video of this went up yesterday too? It looks pretty fun if very similar to zombies in its idea. The difference in enemy movement adds the current twist to the formula.

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

To add more doubt over the fact that COD Ghosts may never even make it to the Wii U is that www.metacritic.com have removed the listing for Call of Duty Ghosts for the Wii U - Now they only list it for the Microsoft and Sony consoles with the countdown to release.

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

More evidence that this game is not coming to the Wii U
Check out the official website http://www.callofduty.com/uk/en/ghosts/wheretobuy
Select PreOrder then WiiU and then read the message it gives you.
For those that don't want to bother I have cut and pasted the message:
'Current selection is unavailable in your region. Check back for updates.'
I have changed the region to USA and others and all get the same message.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@Cohort Right on! My Internet is down right now, at my house anyway, so I'll accept the invite when I get my internet back up.