Happy 124th Birthday, Nintendo

Posted by Damien McFerran

Our favourite company was founded 124 years ago today

124 years ago, Japanese entrepreneur Fusajiro Yamauchi founded the company we now know as Nintendo. Established in 1889, the firm manufactured Hanafuda ("flower cards" in Japanese) playing cards, and Yamauchi opened the first Hanafuda shop called "Nintendo Koppai" in his native Kyoto.

Yamauchi would be succeeded as Nintendo president by his son-in-law Sekiryo Kaneda (who was also known as Sekiryo Yamauchi) in 1929, and twenty years later Sekiryo would pass on control of the business to his grandson, Hiroshi Yamauchi — who took the company away from playing cards into the realm of video gaming, and sadly passed away last week at the age of 85.

In more than a century, Nintendo has moved from playing cards to children's toys to video games, and has achieved the kind of fame within the realm of interactive entertainment that few of its rivals could ever hope to compete with. To many players, the name Nintendo is synonymous with video games and properties such as Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid and Pokémon are known to millions.

Happy Birthday, Nintendo!

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

Happy birthday Nintendo!

Not sure if they'll consider it an important enough milestone but it'd be cool if they planned something for the 125th anniversary next year.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AWESOMENESS!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D Thanks for all the fun times, here's to another 124 years of fun only Nintendo brings! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Happy Birthday Nintendo! :)
It's a shame that Yamauchi couldn't see one last one before he passed.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Happy birthday crazy and lovable japanese people, how can i not love the only one that cares that we are having fun.

pepsiman

pepsiman said:

> Yamauchi opened the first Hanafuda shop called "Nintendo Koppai"

Koppai is the planet Alph, Brittany and Charlie are from in Pikmin 3.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Happy b-day Ninty!
But I'm holding the partying until next year, it should be big!

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Happy birthday to the one and only Nintendo! My life would probably be way different if it weren't for getting that NES with Super Mario Bros. way back when I was five.

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

Wow! Congrats, Nintendo! You are the only console manufacturer that I can see being around a 100 years from now. If only Hiroshi could have stayed around long enough for this event...

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

@pepsiman I just looked up the definition: Playing Cards or Mahjong tiles (specifically made of bone)... I thought Mahjong was a Chinese game! :P

Happy Birthday (or should we be saying "anniversary"?) Nintendo! Woot!

Artwark

Artwark said:

I LOVE YOU NINTENDO!!!! KEEP MAKING GAMES SO I CAN BE HAPPY!!!!

OH AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

biglee

biglee said:

Happy birthday to the greatest video game company in the world! And hopefully many, MANY more to come!

AVahne

AVahne said:

A happy birthday to Nintendo, despite Yamauchi-san's recent death. Sad to see that he couldn't live to see this day.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Happy Birthday, Nintendo! Most of my all time favorite games were made by YOU! Nintendo is easily my favorite video game company!

Phle

Phle said:

Happy birthday Nintendo! Keep bringing the world happiness though games.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I hope they'll still have some good left in them for the next four years so we can celebrate their 128th birthday then. That's a much less random number in bit terms.

Paintfrog

Paintfrog said:

Happy Birthday Nintendo! My birthday is this week too, although I'll have almost 100 candles less on my cake. :P

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, here's hoping gamers everywhere can keep enjoying your games for another 100 years! Happy Birthday Big N!

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Yes! 124 years STRONG, baby! Here's to the Wii U becoming a major success, that the 3DS keeps selling as well as it does, and that Nintendo is around as long as the human race is!

Feliz Cumpleanos, Nintendo! :B

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Happy birthday Nintendo! Thank you for all the great stuff you make! Here's to another 124 years, why not?!

Henmii

Henmii said:

Happy birthday! But a pity that Hiroshi Yamauchi isn't around anymore.