SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge Confirmed For Wii U, Wii, 3DS And DS

Posted by Andy Green

Five player co-op will feature on the Wii U version

Activision and Nickelodeon have announced everyone's favourite water-absorbing sea creature will be starring in a new game later this year known as SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge.

The game will be released on Wii U, Wii, 3DS and DS - as well as other platforms - and is being developed by Canadian studio Behaviour Interactive. It's a third person, action-adventure game that sees old SpongeBob square off against Sheldon J. Plankton, who's created a mechanical army to steal the Krusty Krab’s prized Krabby Patty Formula.

It features a mixture of exploration, combat and puzzle-solving and you'll be able to defend Bikini Bottom alone or with friends as the console versions have a co-op mode thrown in for good measure. Naturally, the pantaloon-wearing sponge is playable, but Patrick, Squidward, Sandy and Mr. Krabs are also available for selection.

SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge is set to be made available on 22nd October. While other systems will only feature four-player multiplayer, the Wii U will allow for five people to get involved at once locally. The Wii edition will accommodate four, but you won't be able to play with your pals on the handheld iterations, which is disappointing.

Activision and Nickelodeon recently announced a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sidescrolling brawler is on the way to Wii and 3DS and will be released at around the same time.

What are your thoughts on this SpongeBob game? Let us know in the comment section below.

Dark-Luigi

Dark-Luigi said:

I have never had interest with the show, but it has been quite a while since a Sponge bob game came out, so I don't know if I'll be getting this or not.

Rattle86

Rattle86 said:

Will this be as good as the old Sponge Bob games? Or is it just another shovelware-cashI in product?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This sounds just like Battle for Bikini Bottom, which was a surprisingly good licensed game. If this is going to be as good as that or better, I may consider it.

Gioku

Gioku said:

@Dev Yeah, it sounds a whole lot like Battle for Bikini Bottom to me, too!
@sinalefa The DS no longer has first party support, but everyone else (meaning licensed titles) keep on making games for it! The fact is, the DS can still generate a lot of money. Even 2 years after it's been replaced.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

battle for bikini bottom for gamecube is one of my favorite 3rd party games ever, lets see if this holds up

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Ya know, I think the flying Dutchmen game (whatever the name was) and Battle for Bikini Bottom on the GC were both good! I hope this is like that only a little better

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

It would be cool if it's Battle for Bikini Bottom quality. I still have the game and really enjoy it, but of course, just like season 3, after that game it all went downhill.

jedisquidward

jedisquidward said:

Ah, Squidward. My favorite character. I hope that there can be another Spongebob Game on the same level as The Movie Game or Battle for Bikini Bottom. No joke, those two platformers are as good as DK 64, Banjo Kazooie, and Mario Galaxy.

hydeks

hydeks said:

@JaredJ agreed, the HD version of the game is on 360, why not Wii U. At least they have the price on the games decent (HD version of 360 is $39.99, Wii and 3DS versions $29.99). So it's hard to completely complain, still a Wii U version would be nice.

I never played a SpongeBob game, but the kid in me finds the show funny at times. We'll see, if it's priced right, and need a review. Loving that it's 5 player, though, very nice feature.

jedisquidward

jedisquidward said:

@Luigifan141 Seriously! I'm WAAAY to much of a cool strong manly man for that dumb stupid baby stuff.
Seriously, give the game a chance, every game deserves it. Nobody thought the original Lego Star Wars would be any good.

Mickey

Mickey said:

The game models haven't improved since the PS2 games and this doesn't look like it's going to change that. Sad. That, the gameplay and my already tight budget for games, means that I won't be picking this one up.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

Well, I was a pretty big fan of Spongebob a few years back so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. Could be cool.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

I used to play Battle for Bikini Bottom on the Gamecube, which I loved, so I respect that game. Though this upcoming may be good, I'm not sure if it'll ever capture the essence of Battle for Bikini Bottom. Remember, not all companies that worked on Battle for Bikini Bottom are working on this. THQ was associated with that game, for example.

dadajo

dadajo said:

I grew up playing battle for the bikini bottom and played it recently and thought it held up well. It is like a Super Mario 64/ Banjo Kazooie game which I love. Also with 5 players they can do so much with the game. Think if they made it like battle for the bikini bottom but in the style of super mario 3d world . I will keep a eye out for this game and see the reviews.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

I see guys saying 'Battle Dir Bikini Bottom'........i thought it was 'Battle For Volcano Island'?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I have good memories playing Battle for Bikini Bottom, too. Not only is the open-world gameplay nice, but the music is fantastic. Since this new game sounds like it has an open-world as well, it has potential. Of course, Battle for Bikini Bottom was a pleasant surprise that's difficult to repeat for a licensed game, so I'm still going to have to wait for reviews.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

They don't make Spongebob games like they used to...
But the use of Wii U's 5-Player support certainly is something to admire.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

@jedisquidward LEGO games have always been decent. However, even when I was young, I thought that the SpongeBob games were stupid. I liked the show, but when I played games like Battle for Bikini Bottom and Creature from Krusty Krab, I didn't like them and all and thought that they were pieces of trash. That was when I was a kid, and I still don't like them. You guys are basically supporting shovelware for the Wii, Wii U, DS, and 3DS, and that's not cool at all.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

How come we don't have the trailer up?
Eh, I'll just leave it here:

I hope their showing us Wii gameplay with those dated graphics. I'd much prefer it if the Wii U version looked more like the cutscenes in this trailer. Much smoother and more visually pleasing.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

@Luigifan141

You better check yourself before you wreck yourself. :-|

Anyway, most likely will give it a shot, I'll wait for review, is a demo a possibility?

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

@WhoBeThat What does that phrase even mean? :|

Seriously, all of you guys are hyping up shovelware, and you all know it, too. LEGO games have been constantly decent and somewhat fun since 1997, but a lot of other licensed games, including the SpongeBob ones, never fare all that well. Please stop supporting crap like this, it makes our entire community look bad.

jedisquidward

jedisquidward said:

@Luigifan141 SUPPORTING SHOVELWARE? No. Granted, I don't exactly have high hopes, but dammit, I'm not going to judge a game based on how it looks. Play Battle for Bikini Bottom again. It's great. And shovelware is going to be on every console no matter what. There will still be quality games, and it is pointless to try and stop it. I wish there wasn't shovelware, but right now, trying to act like we can stop bad games from being made is impossible. People are going to get it right, and people are going to get it wrong. You can't have really good without really bad. You can't achieve a perfect success without knowing what won't work. There will ALWAYS be problems. There will ALWAYS be darkness. But while us, gamers, try to bring justice to the future, we need to recognize the successes that we've been able to achieve in the past.

defrb

defrb said:

Maybe this is a nice game when your between 5-12 year old.
Personally i did not enjoy any spongebob title ever, this one wont change that ^^
Still its good to see their actualy come games for our wiiu :)

Bombzyz

Bombzyz said:

Great Graphic's, Ive watched Spongebob since i was 3 Year's old.
So that means: I CANT WAIT TO GET THIS GAME!

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

@Luigifan141 To be fair, I had a few Spongebob games in my childhood and believe it or not, they were actually pretty solid games. The show has gone to utter crap but the games will probably have good quality to them.

Musterd

Musterd said:

@Luigifan141 Go play Battle For Bikini Bottom and think about what you just said.
EDIT: Wait, you didn't like it? Well then... I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion?

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

@jedisquidward I would try Battle for Bikini Bottom again, but I sold my copy of the game a long time ago because I thought it was garbage. However, it sounds like you guys are acting like it's one of the best games of all time or something, so I guess it could be worth trying again. However, every other SpongeBob game that I tried out, such as The Yellow Avenger, Creature from the Krusty Krab, and Revenge of the Flying Dutchman have all been pieces of crap, too. That's a really bad ratio, with one okay game (based on what you guys are saying) and a bunch of really bad ones. If we also include crossovers like Battle for Volcano Island and Attack of the Toybots, then it really does make all of the SpongeBob games look pretty lukewarm (with the possible exception of Battle for Bikini Bottom).

Again, Battle for Bikini Bottom might be better than I remember it being, but I'm not going to go out of my way to buy it again. Plus, it's only one decent sounding game out of many bad ones. Also, if you played Battle for Bikini Bottom when it first came out, then you would be old enough to realize that there are much better 3D platformers out there, such as the 3D Mario games, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Psychonauts, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, the early Crash Bandicoot games, Donkey Kong 64, the Ratchet and Clank games, and many, many more.

There are good licensed games out there, my favorites in particular being most of the LEGO games, Animaniacs and Goof Troop on the SNES, and Ducktales and Darkwing Duck on the NES. However, a lot of other licensed games, such as most of the SpongeBob ones, almost never fare that well. I might have a different opinion of the SpongeBob games than everyone else here, but either way, you guys are supporting shovelware like this SpongeBob game on the Wii U, Wii, 3DS, and DS, and like I said, that's not cool at all.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@Luigifan141 I used to play Battle for Bikini too when I was smaller. I think I can explain as to why others and I feel like it is a very special to us. Sure, of course there are better 3D platformers out there, but playing Battle for Bikini Bottom was very inspiring and brings many memories that are part of our childhood, just like other N64 games like Super Mario 64. Battle for Bikini Bottom isn't just any 3D platformer though. The level constructions are very interesting, such as Spongebob's Dream and the deeper and jungle levels.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

This looks like it would be a sequel to Battle for Bikini Bottom (which I've only played on GBA to its completion - I think I played the PS2 version...). Looks pretty good too, so I think I'll be adding this one to my Wii U library.

KAHN

KAHN said:

@Luigifan141
gah, if you're really too lazy to buy the game used at your local bookstore for about $4 dollars (that's how much it was at my bookstore anyway), then it's pointless arguing with you :| if you really dont trust us that the game is good, please read about it. read reviews, articles, ANYTHING. and if you're too poor to get it, i usually dont suggest this, but EMULATE IT. and if you STILL won't play it, than you are ignorant and it is pointless arguing with you. i will agree that a lot of spongebob games are shovelware, sure, but judging a game because it has spongebob? i bet if it was the exact same game with different characters, your attitude would be totally different. :P

KAHN

KAHN said:

(off-topic, but since we're talking about spongebob...)

oh, and believe it or not, this is soundtrack for spongebob!

yup, FAR TOO EPIC FOR AN EPISODE OF SPONGEBOB.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

It does seem to have that shovelware vibe, but if its fun, then it will be worth it. Not hyped, but interested so far. I have high hopes for the 4 player Adventure Time game too.

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

@GamerJunkie You are a bigger Moran than wheatly fro portal 2 , so who cares if it's for kids? Nintendo had a cult following of adult gamers loving Nintendo, I don't think you are a Nintendo gamer or a gamer in General..

skyluigi2

skyluigi2 said:

I hate to admit it, but Battle for Bikini Bottom is one of my favourite games ever, so if this is even remotely similar, it's a day-one buy for me.