Miiverse Update Doubles Character Limit for Posts

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Take that, Twitter

The Wii U's bespoke social network, Miiverse, has seen quite a few changes since its initial launch in North America on 18th November 2012. It's escaped the Wii U hardware with a neat web browser version — though you do need a Nintendo Network ID to use it fully — and has seen various other tweaks and changes to improve the experience.

The latest is a welcome one for those with plenty to say, as an official announcement posted today has confirmed that the character limit for new posts has been doubled from 100 to 200, which takes it past social network behemoth Twitter. That's long enough to taunt Bowser to a greater degree in the New Super Luigi U community, but not substantial enough for anyone to post a short essay on the merits of the green one's flutter jump.

Miiverse is certainly continuing to expand and improve, and the addition of features such as set video clips in the future release of Mario Kart 8 are sure to be popular.

The question is, what will you say with the extra 100 characters at your disposal?

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Good; this will entice me to comment more. Now people won't have to stack comments so much.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

That is perfect. Always my post are like 140 characters and i need to delete or to write in 2 posts my idea.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Yay! Awesome! I usually always hit around 103, I'd have to get creative with my wording & delete something while still keeping the same meaning in my message. Thanks Nintendo for the update :)

creepingdeth21

creepingdeth21 said:

oh happy day! thank you so much nintendo! remind me to thank you on miiverse when i get home. oh wait! browser version!

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Nice, I normally clock it at 110 words so I always have to be shorter and creative in my text. Not anymore haha.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Great. I usually had to use two comments or trim a lot, losing the original idea of the message.

ungibbed

ungibbed said:

Finally I don't have to hack down replies to a fit. Making my post look like a teenagers cryptic "txt msg".

In short, hooray!!!

Dr_42o

Dr_42o said:

Oh cool, 100 charcters were added to smash bros 4? I bet it's the full cast of The Wonderful 101

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Dear lord, this is probably the single best update that's come to the Wii U. I'm not even joking, this is awesome. XD

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

I still can't believe how much Nintendo has changed its approach this generation. I don't think we saw this many Updates in the entire lifespan of the Wii!

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

i dont even use this anymore,. it was fun for the 1st week.

But I guess in the long run its gonna help when I do use it again.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

This is much appreciated. 100 was definately too small, and my posts always barely exceeded the limit.

But @bezerker99 is right: Miiverse does suck. The yeah system was the worst decision they made about it.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@Intrepid perhaps I should not have said sucks. It's just an insignificant part of my gaming life. I gather no pleasure or enjoyment from browsing the horrid pages of MiiVerse.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

@bezerker99 So Miiverse is irrelevant to you, that's understandable. I use Miiverse rarely, but when I do, I see yeah spammers and people asking for stupid characters in SSB. It's enough to drive people insane. So yeah, I personally still think it sucks.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Finally. I can't count how many times I had to reword and condense what I was trying to say because of the 100-character limit. Thanks Nintendo~

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@Intrepid Yeah. And I shouldn't say 'horrid'. The drawings by many of the users there are pretty impressive, I must say. And if you need something answered, Miiverse is quick to respond. I guess I have changed my tune a bit??? D:

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Oh wow! Now that is an AMAZING update! Now I no longer have to continue long posts into the comments.

Ruthven

Ruthven said:

About time...even old school SMS texting has had 160 cha's from the begining.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

200 is MUCH better. I feel I can express myself better with 200 rather than with 100. Now if only they would remove the 100 friend limit....you can't limit how many friends I can have, Nintendo!! (not that I have 100 friends on my Wii U, I want to be friends w/ Gamexplain and he's all maxed out)

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

500 characters would be pretty easy to implement, to be honest.

200 is still a GREAT number, though! Congrats to Ninty!

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Wonderful!
No need to abbreviate every post, we can finally use proper English! ;)

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

Yes! This is a great addition to Miiverse, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that we should be able to post videos (now) of whatever we've been playing. Hopefully games will come with this ability in the future, sounds like MK8 will feature some thing along those lines....

Araknie

Araknie said:

Thought something and than tried to write it, for the first time i could write it all.
So really it works this way finally.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

Probably one of the main reasons I could never use twitter. I feel like it's almost impossible for me to want to say anything under 140 characters. (especially if I'm talking about a game I like) I can't imagine having only 100 characters.

F4LLEND4RK

F4LLEND4RK said:

Very happy about about this, 100 wasn't enough! When's this coming to Miiverse? Or has it already been implemented?

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

@Aqueous for some reason, personal messages are still limited to just 100 characters. Why would they double posts and comments but not messages? Nintendo, you continue to baffle me. Personally, I think messages should be 500, and you should be able to check or respond to them without having to open Miiverse.