You, Me, and the Cubes Designer Dies Ages 42

Posted by Damien McFerran

Kenji Eno passes away

Respected game designer and musician Kenji Eno passed away yesterday. Cause of death was heart failure induced by high blood pressure. He was 42 years old.

Best known for founding the game studio WARP, Inc. and creating the Sega Saturn RPG adventure D, Eno was also involved in the WiiWare title You, Me, and the Cubes.

He also composed the music for Sega Rally 2.

[via kotaku.com]

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

What? I had always hoped to eventually meet him some day. Maybe do some interviews. He was IMHO one of the last truly interesting game designers around. Not just interesting for his games but his character as well.
RIP Kenji Eno.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

RIP, way too young. Wasn't impressed with You, Me and the Cubes. But Enemy Zero was awesome.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

It's always sad to hear that someone dies, but it's even sadder when they are still young and have a lot more to see in life. :(

R.I.P. Kenji Eno

goldbricks23

goldbricks23 said:

I was always intrigued by 'You, Me, and the Cubes' but never really got round to buying many Wii Ware games.
R.I.P Kenji Eno. I'm sure you will be missed by many.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

That's sad. You, Me and the Cubes was one of the good WiiWare games. Gonna check out his other works.

A notice from an Asian person: If eating habits in Asia (AKA high sodium) stays the same, we're going to have to see a lot of this. That's not necessarily indicating this is one of those cases though.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

That's real shame. One of the high points of running my Wii blog was that I did a review of a WiiWare game on my Japanese Wii before it was announced for release elsewhere as "You, Me and the Cubes" and the day after it went live I had a mail in my inbox from Eno-San saying he was glad I enjoyed his game. After I read about him I felt very humbled indeed!

ChristopherM

ChristopherM said:

Very sad. Back in the '90s, Kenji Eno's name and personality lit up the game world in big, bright and bold letters.

His original "D" was a 3DO classic - original, innovative and in many ways ahead of it's time. It also featured tremendously atmospheric music, which he composed himself.

If you ever played the N64's New Tetris and enjoyed merging the giant gold and silver blocks, you should know that Kenji Eno had already created the concept in his own delightful falling block game "Trip'd" (also on 3DO, and a perfect candidate for an eShop remake).

Many on this forum would also have delighted in his very public anti-Sony antics.

RIP Kenji Eno. The world of videogames will be a shade more grey without you.

1080ike

1080ike said:

R.I.P. Kenji Eno. You were one of the greatest storytellers in video games, according to the Happy Video Game Nerd, and it greatly saddens me that the day I finally get around to buyomg one of his games (Enemy Zero) is the day that he passes away.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

What?!

I can't believe this! How tragic!

Seriously, my thoughts and prayers are with Kenji Eno's family. He was a wonderful designer.

Windy