Ubisoft: Beyond Good & Evil 2 Is On The Way

Posted by Andy Green

Yves Guillemot confirms the sequel is coming

Beyond Good & Evil emerged on a multitude of platforms — including the GameCube — ten years ago now and people have wanted to know about its sequel ever since.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 has certainly been an elusive one; news on its release has been pretty thin on the ground leading many to believe it would never see the light of day. However it appears that the highly anticipated game will be with us imminently, with Ubisoft stating more news will be with us shortly.

In an interview with Kotaku, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot confirmed Beyond Good & Evil 2 is on the way — he just didn't say anything about where or when.

I don't give comments anymore on [Beyond Good & Evil 2], because I think ... the next time next time we communicate we have to have something new.

It's coming.

We don't yet know if this impending announcement will reveal a Wii U version, or whether it will feature on the current generation of platforms or the next generation. It could be developed for a mixture of both, like Watch_Dogs, another multiplatform Ubisoft title which is set to be available for Wii U, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC and PlayStation 4.

At least we know Beyond Good & Evil is coming soon — for most of us that's all we needed to hear.

Recently it has been rumoured that Michel Ancel would be parting company with Ubisoft once Rayman Legends is released — this has naturally been labelled as an "unfounded rumour" by Ubisoft. Ancel is the creator of Beyond Good & Evil, therefore it has to be unlikely that he will be leaving the company any time soon.

What are your thoughts on Beyond Good & Evil 2? It's been quite a wait, so will you be picking up a copy? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via kotaku.com]

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

O SNAP!
Okay this definately makes up for lack of Rayman! I just simply cannot cannot cannot wait for this! PLEASE bring out BGAE for the e-shop this summer!

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I'm still waiting on a Wii U release for the first game's HD remake so... yes!

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

Guess I have to go play the first one.. I should start a video game bucket list.

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

Another game from Ubisoft? I guess now I don't really care about the Rayman Legends crisis as much anymore now that Ubisoft has actually kept their promise to bring new games to the Wii U! Thanks Ubi :) (I still want my Rayman Legends though :P)

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Sounds like a great news with a perfect timing for me!
I bought the one just a month ago and was planning to finish it soon XD

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

I hope Ancel doesn't end up leaving, this looks great.
If he left, then Ubisoft would be at a major loss and not have as many good series anymore.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

The original game was about five minutes long. I hope the sequel has more content.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

They will release it exclusively for the PS4, delay it by 3 months and a month before release they will delay it another 7 months and say it's gone multiplatform.

But still exclude the Wii U at the end.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Gamesake More like 5 hours, which at the time did seem short, but for the past few years that seems more like average for those types of games unfortunately. Which is why I rent almost everything or buy GH games, so when the industry goes all DL only I'm outta here.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

@rjejr You are both horribly wrong. I've played through the game many times, and my last playthrough, 100%, still took...12-13 hours. I mean I could beat it in 5 hours, if I tried hard enough and hated fun sidequests?

RoryLee

RoryLee said:

@Gamesake
Not as bad as Metal Gear. If you skip all the cutscenes that will leave you with just over an hour of gameplay. Still exciting news for all that people that have been wanting this.

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

"...with Ubisoft stating more news will be with us shortly." Where does Yves suggest that BGE2 news will be here "shortly"? All he said in that quote is the game is still a WIP, and they will talk about it when they have something new to show.

The game absolutely needs to be on the Wii U if it has those same photography mechanics, though. It would just be divine. And given Ubisoft's apparent good faith in the Wii U (despite the Rayman thing), I think there's a great possibility of that.

kaboart

kaboart said:

Ubisoft has a serious PR problem. Unless they redeem themselves and give what is due, I see many fans not believing anything Ubisoft say from know on... and don't get me wrong, I would love to play Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

I've never played the first, but have heard a lot of good things about it. Hopefully I will figure out some way to find it and play it before 2 comes out.

odd69

odd69 said:

IF you own a ps3 you can get the original for 4.99,its on sale until the store updates today so go get it!!! i did and its good, 3rd person action done very well.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Rayman Legends, Watch_Dogs, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, and Beyond Good & Evil 2... GOOD GRIEF Ubisoft give me a second or two to breath before you announce ANOTHER game!

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I'm guessing this will be revealed at E3. Never got to play the first game, will have to check it out at some point.

Ste

Ste said:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE come out on the WII-U, gonna have to write a litter to Ubisoft about that, will buy it first day. The original may be my favorite all time game.

SteveW

SteveW said:

Am I the only one that didn't care for the first one? I didn't see anything appealing about it at all... it held my interest for maybe an hour

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

LOL
How the mighty have fallen! Not going to send us a stray snippit of photage? Not going to say you'll think about it if your current title sells really well?
Look at you, carting it out as your "please stop hating us" card.
LOL
You know, you have to follow through this time, right? You can't fix being a jerk by being a bigger jerk.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I absolutely adored the first game. Definitely one of my favorite "non-Zelda" adventure games on the PS2 (only one better was Okami). Any news of a sequel, on Wii U or otherwise, would be most welcome.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Radar'd, but I expect possible length for this game to release on any platform I own, particularly a Nintendo system.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

All I can say is I will own this game no matter what system(s) it comes out on, possibly all of them. Heres hopin for a Wii U version though.

Klinny

Klinny said:

This news just made my whole day. And it was already a pretty good day.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm excited for Beyond Good & Evil 2 :D The 1st one was pure awesome fun! :D I really hope its coming to Wii U... I remember a few years ago reading somewhere that BG&E2 was being made for next-gen due to requirements of graphical power, I really hope they bring this to Wii U.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I sure hope this comes out for Wii U, and soon. I'm pretty confident that it will, especially since ubisoft is the only thirdparty building experience with the Wii U by making games for it.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Just as @CaptainMorpheus commented in the Splinter Cell-related post earlier this week, "All aboard the apology train!". Well, this one won't be much without Michel Ancel's input, so Ubi's execs better not to be jerks to him. Legends was enough of a dic--er, "duck" move to result in a rumor about him leaving Ubisoft, so...

Araknie

Araknie said:

Also Wii U version of Rayman Legends will get major improvments.

Here's da thing: http://www.eurogamer.it/articles/2013-02-27-news-videogiochi-la-versione-wii-u-di-rayman-legends-e-ancora-in-fase-di-sviluppo

Translation: "The Wii U version team's still working on it as of now, to make one of the best Wii U games ever." Declared Yves Guillemot (Ubisoft CEO) to Kotaku. "Since we have some other time we decided to bring up the opportunity. Some new flicks we are considering are social based, but also [it will have] new bosses ed other thing to get the game at lovable level for users."

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I see you're a fellow Italian, @Araknie (by the way, what's in that clock in your icon?). Well, I really hope Legends' delay will be worth the wait. I hope so for Yves himself.