Play: Mario Kart 7 Community Rooms - Choose The Rules

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's back

Last year we had a couple of rather fun community sessions playing Mario Kart 7, where the Nintendo Life community did battle with each other and some of the humble writing team. They were blood-baths of shell and banana skin-related tumbles, while tears were shed along with some choice curse words as podium places were lost. It was intense, dramatic, and a lot of fun.

Well, it's back. We had fostered a dream of a Wii U game that most owned with a similarly robust online community setup, but such a game hasn't quite hit the heights of good old MK7.

So, the event will start on Friday 22nd February at the following times: 9pm UK time, 10pm Central European, 4pm Eastern US, 3pm Central US and 1pm Pacific US. If you're in school or work at those times, don't worry, as there should be players available for a good while, with various members of the Nintendo Life staff ready to join in and get red-shelled into oblivion.

Like last time, we're going to run two community rooms, one Battle and one Grand Prix. Even better than that, we want you to decide on the items and criteria.

Below are two polls, and we'd like you to vote for your favourite in each to determine which items will be used; we're keeping the options simple as this is at short notice, but in future we plan to get more creative. We'll take the results at 5pm (UK time) on race day (that's 22nd February, remember); we'll then post an article with instructions of how to join and confirm the winning votes, giving you those all important codes to join the action.

Naturally we'll be following it all in the comments of the race day article, and getting up to shenanigans on the Nintendo Life Twitter page. If you want some practice, meanwhile, Nintendo UK has also set up a community — for players around the world, of course — so just add 41-9704-3518-5514 to your list.

So, make your Battle and Grand Prix choices below, and we look forward to seeing you on the track soon!

Choose Your Grand Prix Community Room (135 votes)

No Items

19%

All Items

75%

Bob-ombs Only

Please login to vote in this poll.

Choose Your Battle Community Room (122 votes)

All Items

55%

Bob-ombs Only

32%

Bananas Only

13%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

We'll see what I can do at that time, I might have to join late, or leave and return

DePapier

DePapier said:

Just the other day, I whooped some 10000ers online with my right hand messed-up from surgery. You guys are on: imma take you down too.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

I'll hopefully be there will be my first one with yhe nlife team. (do u think we will ever see dlc for this game?)

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Maybe this time I'll actually be able to join. I'll be racing as my Mii, just so people know who I am, look out for Mii!

BadKitty

BadKitty said:

Well looks like you all will have a chance, since your MK Princess has internet problems I won't be able to run you all over :(
ah well just a few trophies lost, at least I can have trophy box 889012 empty for a bit more~
Untitled
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~ n_n

idork99

idork99 said:

THANK YOU NLIFE!! I had sooo much fun last time! My goal: to be in the top three. See you all tomorrow at the track :)

DePapier

DePapier said:

Damn, I just finished teaching a few lessons online... It's been a long time but those were good times.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

I'm all in! Haven't played MK7 in months, but the last nintendolife mario kart evenings were such good fun that I can't miss another! At least for an hour or two!

Arianabtd

Arianabtd said:

I haven't played Mario Kart in a while, I'm super excited to race!
Gonna play as my Mii :D

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

The last one of these was what made me join NL. This'll be fun! ^^
Me and Daisy are ready to go! Might bring Rosalina and DK too.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Sweet! :D

Been looking for a reason to play MK7 - 3DS again! :)

Been playing angry birds - 3ds for while so be a nice change. ;)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

zenarium

zenarium said:

It will be an awesome event! Without would be better because I tired of loosing races due to blue shells!

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

I was wondering if NintendoLife would ever do these again, and here they are! Too bad I don't believe I'll be able to join. Have fun guys!

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

I'm always up for a MK 7 community race. I'll see you all there tomorrow ready to crush you all into tiny kart pieces. J/K :P

Rod64

Rod64 said:

I don't own the game... :(
I'll be waiting for the Mario Kart U community tho!!!

WildMan

WildMan said:

Hopefully I'll be able to join you guys. I might be a bit rusty though, I haven't played MK7 all that much since I got my Wii U!

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

All I want for Mario Kart 7 is a patch enabling us MK7 players to enjoy the pleasures of a single-player single-track free race, but what we got instead was a step back to Double Dash's tournament-only/time trial-only kind of choice. "Why Nintendo, why?" At least, as an ambassador, I can still have a "Quick Run" (as the game calls it) in the excellent Mario Kart Super Circuit (seriously, that game alone would justify the GBA's Virtual Console debut).

(Can anyone report this complaint to Nintendo? You know, given the post about gamers' protests...) xD

Syntax

Syntax said:

All your blue shells are belonging to me! And as usual, 2nd place is the official 1st place when I'm racing. @Emeralds aw your not joining? I even brought anti-puncture tires due to racers losing to you by secretly deflating their tires ;-)

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I'll try to make it tomorrow, I'll be racing as Shy Guy, and maybe my Knuckles Mii.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

I am not going to choose, But I give the best of luck to every MK7 Racer. Look forward to racing/battling you! >=D

@EDIT Also what a shame the MK Princess is not going to be on....

ReshiramZekrom

ReshiramZekrom said:

I'll play. Look for someone named GoldMorgan.

What Mii names should we be looking for to ensure that we're playing with an NL staffer?

I'm a Metal Mario+B Dasher+Red Monster+Peach Parasol user.
Untitled

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

@ReshiramZekrom

Not for anything, and I'm not trying to insult you when I say this. But it seems something like a Paraglider would go good as a glider choice for the setup you have.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

I always go by picking random players on MK 7. It's the way I how I like to travel. Look for 3DS*LUIGI$ in the community. BTW, the * is a Dark Star symbol.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

@3DSLUIGI

1. Don't tell people how to play MK7, they can use what ever combo they want (It's not like your a MK7 Veteran)

2. learn to not intimidate other users, cause I have.

@Everyone

Good luck, and I will see you on the community :)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

If I get the chance I will join in. Probably wont be till later on in the day since I work till 5:30 PST.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Bear in mind all, the community in the article is one for Nintendo UK, which will hopefully be busy regularly.

I'll be posting our two community codes in the main article later today :)

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

At first,I thought I might not be able to come,but now that school's closed,I'm totally playing!See you all there.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I don't know if I can be bothered joining... I just haven't played MK7 in so long, & having to retrain myself so I can have a chance will take quite a while. & I never did figure out the best kart-combo or me in the end anyway.

Edit: Never mind, the MK7 matches start 23rd Feb (tomorrow) at 7am AEST thus I can't join anyway since I'm working then... Good luck all!